VC Fantasy Hockey League

why don't we just do points then if you guys wanna remove all these categories...

I did a few leagues and the strategy in categories is so different from the strategy in points.  You really need to look at how the player contributes and can't just blindly grab the people who are on top.  I like shutouts and shp because they are rare and that makes it more exciting when it happens.  I don't like +/- in that people will think twice about picking up someone on the leafs or sabres but I still think we should have it.

I'm all for the more categories.  Since the league is so deep, there is merit in picking up enforcers or shot blockers vs point producers.

SA doesn't count for anything in ours, I don't think. It never was highlighted white by the winning team.  I agree that's not as important. (congrats, your defense doesn't block shots).

SV is cool in the fact that you need to decide whether should play a goalie when you already have a killer GAA, cause if he lets in a lot of shots you're gonna fuck that statistic up.

I wouldn't be against removing SA/SV though as opposed to +/- and SHP which I hope hope we keep

Forwards/Defensemen: Abbreviation What it Means

G Goals

A Assists

P Points

+/- Plus/Minus

PIM Penalty Minutes

PPG Powerplay Goals

PPA Powerplay Assists

PPP Powerplay Points

SHG Shorthanded Goals

SHA Shorthanded Assists

SHP Shorthanded Points

GWG Game-Winning Goals

GTG Game-Tying Goals

SOG Shots on Goal

SH% Shooting Percentage

FW Faceoffs Won

FL Faceoffs Lost

HIT Hits

BLK Blocks

Total Total Standard Deviation

Goalies: Abbreviation What it Means

GS Games Started

W Wins

L Losses

GA Goals Against

GAA Goals Against Average

SA Shots Against

SEC Seconds Played

SV Saves

SV% Save Percentage

SHO Shutouts

Total Total Standard Deviation

Game tying goals is a cool stat. Ive never really considered it much, but I definitely would like to see how my team fares in that category.

yeah im thinking

G A +/- PIM PPP GWG SOG FW HIT BLK

W GAA SV SV% SHO

That seems fine. We should start a second league with all of the toilet stats.

Game tying goals is a cool stat. Ive never really considered it much, but I definitely would like to see how my team fares in that category.

That seems fine. We should start a second league with all of the toilet stats.

Puckdaddy did a custom league like that this year that seemed pretty fun

• 4 months later...

Hockey is back, register your team if you're in for this season. Buy in mandetory.

Also, i wanna change the keeper rule to one we did for baseball. But only if everyone is down.

Roster protection (Keepers)

Each keeper will have a particular draft pick associated with him. This pick will thus not be used by the owning team during the draft. Said draft pick will be determined as follows:

- If the player was drafted/kept the previous year, the associated draft pick shall be the round he was drafted in minus two. A player selected in the 10th round of the prior draft may be kept for the 8th round pick in the current draft. Each year, should that player be kept (either by original owner or by trade), they would subtract two from their kept round.

- If according to the proceeding rules, a player would have a zero or negative round associated with him, said player cannot be kept an additional year. For example, no players selected in the first two rounds would be able to be kept, as applying these rules would give a round value of ­1 or 0. No one is impressed that you knew to draft Mike Trout Sidney Crosby in the first round.

- If a player was picked up as a free agent at any point during the season, he will have an associated draft pick value of round 15 (i.e. as if he had originally been drafted in the 15th round). This is to encourage good drafting in the second half of the draft.

- If multiple players acquired as a free agent at any point during the season and designated as keepers, these shall be given round values starting at 15 with the longest rostered player and moving downwards (i.e. towards round 30)

If according to the proceeding rules, two players would have the same associated pick assigned to them, the player with the fewer amount of years accrued as a keeper shall be given a value of the subsequent round (i.e. Round 16 for a player with fewer years accrued and round 15 for the other player). If both players have the same amount of years accrued, the commissioner shall flip a coin to determine the status.

If an owner wishes to keep a player whose associated draft pick has been traded away, the draft pick associated with the player shall be shifted one round earlier than it otherwise would have been. If this new round conflicts with a separate keeper pick, all keeper picks shall be moved up a round until they reach a point such that no conflict occurs.

Players traded or claimed on waivers maintain the same keeper status as if they had remained rostered by the original team.

keepers will be based off the end of season roster, which you can find at the link below.

http://hockey.fantasysports.yahoo.com/hockey/776/lastseason

it tells you which round your player was drafted, and if you want to keep them, you would slot them 2 rounds lower.  So someone drafted in the 6th round would be kept in the 4th.

16 rounds in the draft last year, what slot do you want to assign non-drafted keepers to?