PO: The Story So Far - What You Don't See

there's something weird about this band, at least for me, and i've been trying to put my finger on it since I first heard them, prob the year USAD came out.  i now LOVE USAD but it took me quite a while to warm up to it back then.  and I've had the same experience with this new one - first listen and I didn't really find much, i've actually listened to it on repeat all day today and i'm now starting to "get it" i'd say.  I didn't love "right here" on first few listens, either (although "the glass" instantly stuck for whatever reason).

so I think it's because his vocals are way less about musicality and melody as they are about being percussive and biting rhythmically as well as lyrically, as well as fitting into the grooves or pockets of with the music, if that makes sense.  i think the music is very well-arranged for a pop punk band.  their drummer for one is a beast, esp on this album.  the vocals are pretty limited in range but it's his style and it works well.  just means it's hard to find the hooks the first few go-arounds, i think.

this is all of course just my opinion, but i had been trying to figure out why it would take me several listens to get into a collection of songs that i eventually end up being WAY into, and that's what i've come up with so far.  

anyone else find that this band writes songs that take a while to click?  or do you guys just instantly dig it?  (not talking to the people who think they suck but are still for some reason trolling this post).  

anyone else find that this band writes songs that take a while to click?  or do you guys just instantly dig it?  (not talking to the people who think they suck but are still for some reason trolling this post).  

I feel the same way. I felt really disappointed on the first listen but I'm starting to see more tracks stand out. I really enjoyed Right Here from the beginning and Stifled is a jam.

The album is really good, I'm not understanding the hate on it at all. Especially from people who liked the first one. I get it if you just dont like this type of music at all but for this type of pop punk its very solid.

I wouldn't go as far as calling it hate but maybe initial disappointment. I still think it's good in a musical sense but just not something I see myself wanting to go back to much. Expectations were high and maybe they shouldn't have been since as a lot of people might say - "It's just pop punk." When I listen to pop punk, I do it to get pumped up and sing along.  I just don't see that happening for me with this album although I will be giving it many more chances. I was instantly into USAD and was hoping to get that same feeling with this album. I think you are going to see a lot of mixed reviews on this one and I can understand why.

The album is really good, I'm not understanding the hate on it at all. Especially from people who liked the first one. I get it if you just dont like this type of music at all but for this type of pop punk its very solid.

because i'm not all about getting the same album twice. they did it once, that's why i like the first one. but i don't need another.