ALL Appreciation

• 2 weeks later...

ALL wasn't too good before Chad joined imo. Even the last early Descendents album ALL is pretty weak. 

I consider the early Descendents (which I really dig) a basically different band than the DescendALLs. Everything Sucks was an ALL album before they brought Milo in to sing on it and call it a Descendents record. The Chad version doesn't sound all that different.

It always seemed a little weird that Descendents would have huge shows but ALL shows were a ghost town. I saw Descendents so many times on that first comeback show. Although you did get the old songs w/ Milo of course so that explains that, but the entire lack of interest in ALL vs Descendents seemed odd to me. 

Breaking Things/Pummel/Everything Sucks/Mass Nerder/Problematic/Cool to be You are all ALL w/ either Chad or Milo singing as far as I'm concerned. I think that era peaked w/ Everything Sucks/Mass Nerder (and I liked Breaking Things/Pummel) but the one-two suckfest of Problematic/Cool to Be You really soured me on the DescendALLs for a long time. I don't know if I've really recovered. I still listen to SST-era Descendents all the time tho.

It's splitting hairs of course, I know. It's not like original Misfits vs the Jerry Onlys or anything. Or even Ozzy vs Dio Black Sabbath/Heaven and Hell. Peter Gabriel Genesis vs Phil Collins Genesis? I dunno.

ALL wasn't too good before Chad joined imo. Even the last early Descendents album ALL is pretty weak. 

I consider the early Descendents (which I really dig) a basically different band than the DescendALLs. Everything Sucks was an ALL album before they brought Milo in to sing on it and call it a Descendents record. The Chad version doesn't sound all that different.

It always seemed a little weird that Descendents would have huge shows but ALL shows were a ghost town. I saw Descendents so many times on that first comeback show. Although you did get the old songs w/ Milo of course so that explains that, but the entire lack of interest in ALL vs Descendents seemed odd to me. 

Breaking Things/Pummel/Everything Sucks/Mass Nerder/Problematic/Cool to be You are all ALL w/ either Chad or Milo singing as far as I'm concerned. I think that era peaked w/ Everything Sucks/Mass Nerder (and I liked Breaking Things/Pummel) but the one-two suckfest of Problematic/Cool to Be You really soured me on the DescendALLs for a long time. I don't know if I've really recovered. I still listen to SST-era Descendents all the time tho.

It's splitting hairs of course, I know. It's not like original Misfits vs the Jerry Onlys or anything. Or even Ozzy vs Dio Black Sabbath/Heaven and Hell. Peter Gabriel Genesis vs Phil Collins Genesis? I dunno.

I need to read this again. I definitely didn't understand it the first time. 

That aside, I think most people would agree when I say Descendents > All. Both bands rule though. 

That self-titled ALL retrospective album is essential listening for anyone unfamiliar with the band or that thinks they can't touch the Descendents. The more I listen to ALL, the more the Descendents/ALL line just kind of blurs into one band with multiple singers. It's always interesting to me to read the songwriting credits because I couldn't guess who wrote what in a million years.

But that being said, Milo's voice will always reign supreme.

This band doesn't get enough love. I know they barely ever play anymore but their catalog is amazing and, in some ways, is better than the Descendants. Thoughts?

When you factor in how uneven the early SST/New Alliance Descendents albums can be, I totally agree. Despite the fact that ALL had the occasional weird funk song(s), they had better albums from start to finish...until Descendents got back together. post-reunion Descendents albums are flawless IMO.

the Daveage records have some fantastic songs, and the Scottage albums are pretty solid as well.

Cool to Be You is a great record.

When you factor in how uneven the early SST/New Alliance Descendents albums can be, I totally agree. Despite the fact that ALL had the occasional weird funk song(s), they had better albums from start to finish...until Descendents got back together. post-reunion Descendents albums are flawless IMO.

Oh man, for real. I can giggle about the rapping on the song "Box" but sitting through the entirety of "Pervert" is very taxing.

Cool To Be You is good, but flawless?

I like exactly one ALL song: "Shreen." What a mega jam:

Cool To Be You is good, but flawless?

Ok, I don't love the songs Dog and Pony Show, Tack, Anchor Grill and She Don't Care. but these are far from the bands low points.

Talking, Nothing With You, 'Merican, Blast Off, Dreams, Maddie, Mass Nerder, One More Day, and Dry Spell are AMAZING songs.