What's your latest purchase?

Got a pair of speakers I've been dying to get for many years, but I never got around to it.  Thought I was outta luck when they went out of production a few years ago.  But I got a pair thanks to some amazing circumstances that the universe cooked up....

Single Driver, no crossover...just perfect artisan, hand crafted speakers and art.

Hats off to Clark Blumenstein for creating these wonders!

http://www.blumensteinaudio.com/

Blumenstein Naga's with dual subs:

blumenstein-naga-wooden-speakers-3.jpg

blumenstein-naga-wooden-speakers-2.jpg

16202026142_c1a6faeafc_z.jpg

16200962331_6391166744_b.jpg

Got a pair of speakers I've been dying to get for many years, but I never got around to it.  Thought I was outta luck when they went out of production a few years ago.  But I got a pair thanks to some amazing circumstances that the universe cooked up....

Single Driver, no crossover...just perfect artisan, hand crafted speakers and art.

Hats off to Clark Blumenstein for creating these wonders!

http://www.blumensteinaudio.com/

Blumenstein Naga's with dual subs:

blumenstein-naga-wooden-speakers-3.jpg

blumenstein-naga-wooden-speakers-2.jpg

16202026142_c1a6faeafc_z.jpg

16200962331_6391166744_b.jpg

Mum, he's doing it again. I need some more money to go and buy more shiny things.

Very nice though, I take it you are running those passive? I'd be interested to hear what difference there was running them active.

Hey Allen!

Well, the main towers housing the fostex single driver is run directly off the tube amplifier outputs.  The two subwoofers have plate amplifiers that also house the low pass filter and crossover point settings.  The plate amps take the high level (i.e. speaker level) input from the tube amplifier to have the subwoofers have the tube amp sonics/flavor. 

Finally picked up some second-hand Wharfedale Diamond 10.1 speakers, replacing my hand-me-down Bose 201s. I was kind of in shock at the difference they made - I'm still running a vintage JVC TT, but everything sounds clearer, bigger, bolder, and just generally better. I have to admit, I was a bit skeptical of expecting too much, but the improvement is noticeable. I'm excited to see what happens when I upgrade my turntable...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

No no.... no... NO.

What will you be using this this unit for? Just your turntable? Home theatre? TV? Please describe all devices.

Just my turntable for now. Eventually I'd like to hook it up to my TV/Xbox One once I move. I'll have a Debut Carbon and in the meantime I'm using some Audioengine A2+ bookshelf speakers. I'm making the leap from an LP120, so I'd like to make sure I have a decent receiver so I don't have to upgrade it anytime soon.

But you're definitely right, that Sony receiver is not the right one after looking into it a bit more. I'd really only need a 5.1 channel, right? Anything you might recommend? I'm doing some research of my own right now, but it's nice to hear others' opinions.

Hey guys!

So, I finally got around to picking up a new turntable. It's a Philips 212 with a Pickering XV-15 cart (which, from what I can tell, is worth more than I paid for the table). Right now I'm running it through a Denon AV receiver and some shitty Panasonic speakers, since I'm still looking for a vintage receiver and speakers.

Anyway, to the point - when I have the receiver running with the phono input selected, it hums. I know it's a grounding problem (I hear clicks whenever I touch part of the turntable), but I don't really understand how to ground my turntable. There's a brown wire coming out of the back that I suspect is the grounding wire. 

Any advice?

Hey guys!

So, I finally got around to picking up a new turntable. It's a Philips 212 with a Pickering XV-15 cart (which, from what I can tell, is worth more than I paid for the table). Right now I'm running it through a Denon AV receiver and some shitty Panasonic speakers, since I'm still looking for a vintage receiver and speakers.

Anyway, to the point - when I have the receiver running with the phono input selected, it hums. I know it's a grounding problem (I hear clicks whenever I touch part of the turntable), but I don't really understand how to ground my turntable. There's a brown wire coming out of the back that I suspect is the grounding wire. 

Any advice?

hey i have that table.

you have to attach the grounding wire to your receiver.  there should be a ground screw on the back somewhere.  just wrap around and tighten.

hey i have that table.

you have to attach the grounding wire to your receiver.  there should be a ground screw on the back somewhere.  just wrap around and tighten.

Thanks homie. There was no screw explicitly labeled for grounding, so I attached my wire to one of the harness screws for the case of the receiver. No more humming!

This table is crazy cool. Touch controls in the seventies? Fucking wild. It already sounds miles better than my old Audio-Technica even with the shitty speakers.

Thanks homie. There was no screw explicitly labeled for grounding, so I attached my wire to one of the harness screws for the case of the receiver. No more humming!

This table is crazy cool. Touch controls in the seventies? Fucking wild. It already sounds miles better than my old Audio-Technica even with the shitty speakers.

yeah my father in law refurbished one for me and gave it to me for my birthday a couple years ago.

definitely an upgrade from my step dads stack unit.

enjoy the tunes brother.