PO: HRVRD "From The Birds Cage" - Limited 12" & Bundle Package from ETR

Awesome! I'm super stoked for that show. It's been a long time since I've wanted to get to a show early because I'm psyched to see ALL the bands on the bill.

That's funny about everyone thinking Tim was drumming for them with letlive. I'm excited to see them regardless of who's drumming, haha.

Weird... Tim is leaving the band per their most recent Facebook post.

tim has been gone since before the new lp has been out technically. He did not play on either coast's of the let live tour. He recorded the album with them and then due to getting married and other obligations, decided to leave before things started to get too crazy. Everyone is still on good terms and no bad blood, just a personal decision that he wasn't willing to tour as much as the rest of the band wanted to

Also he and one other staff member are the only ones who have email addresses, most writers don't contact press or get contacts. 

I think this is commonplace, especially now with all of the pop up blogs/news sites that have been created in the last couple of years.  I've shot for a handful of publications and only on two of them was I given the contacts to book shoots or interviews myself.

Where do I start? Every contest he does is rigged to go to his friends. His reviews are always biased. He just steals others news stories and the only "new" stories he posts are leaks that only hurt the band. Aka FOB. They had a great reunion announcement and he ruined it.

If you take a quick glance at POZ at literally any time, you'll see there's a huge difference between what he posts and what Absolutepunk posts. He posts 2-3x the content a day that Absolutepunk does, maybe more. They post official, exclusive content and news all the time. We've done contests through POZ that his friends didn't win, and I don't think it's fair to say his reviews are biased. Biased towards what? Things he and his writers like? Isn't that what reviewing is?

I don't read POZ on a regular basis, or know Zack well, but I know for a fact tons of people do, and that his site serves a purpose. Dude has worked incredibly hard to take a little blog with a stupid name and make it one of the biggest sites in it's scene, and it seems to me that you guys are just bummed on the popularity of something that you think isn't cool. 

I think this is commonplace, especially now with all of the pop up blogs/news sites that have been created in the last couple of years. I've shot for a handful of publications and only on two of them was I given the contacts to book shoots or interviews myself.

I just disagree with that big time, especially if you're not getting paid for it. All of my "established" writers that have done multiple posts for me already and have shown reliability have email addresses. I want them to make something for themselves, and one of the major things I pride myself on is the freedom for my writers to basically do what they want and make their own path.

His site, his rules. Why does any of that stuff matter?

I just disagree with the techniques, especially having run a "similar" site for nearly four years now. It just goes against a lot of the methods that I base myself on and i could never imagine being so restrictive to people who are donating their time and writing for zero pay.

I just disagree with the techniques, especially having run a "similar" site for nearly four years now. It just goes against a lot of the methods that I base myself on and i could never imagine being so restrictive to people who are donating their time and writing for zero pay.

You can't get up in arms about someone doing something differently than you. If you believe the way you do things is better, keep doing them that way, but you can't expect things to change because of it. None of that makes him a joke (I know you didn't say that) or his site a waste of time - it's been proven neither of those are true. 

I just disagree with that big time, especially if you're not getting paid for it. All of my "established" writers that have done multiple posts for me already and have shown reliability have email addresses. I want them to make something for themselves, and one of the major things I pride myself on is the freedom for my writers to basically do what they want and make their own path.

I'm not saying that I agree with running things that way. As a freelance contributor, I would love more opportunities to make connections for myself.  For a while I was getting into shows weekly because I e-mailed Rey Roldan (of ReyBee Productions) on a whim for an assignment one night and he decided to throw me onto every one of his guestlists in NY & NJ for the rest of that year.  Once I stopped freelancing for that particular magazine and went to Buzznet, I haven't had luck like that whatsoever, because they handle all of the booking.

As I'm typing this I see a connection, because POZ is now owned by Buzz Media.  Maybe its something that they put into place for POZ?

You can't get up in arms about someone doing something differently than you. If you believe the way you do things is better, keep doing them that way, but you can't expect things to change because of it. None of that makes him a joke (I know you didn't say that) or his site a waste of time - it's been proven neither of those are true.

I mean i see the positives. I just disagree to the fullest. And as a "competitor", which I don't see at all really since the majority of stuff I cover he never will because it doesn't "fit", it's just disappointing to see it.

I'm not saying that I agree with running things that way. As a freelance contributor, I would love more opportunities to make connections for myself. For a while I was getting into shows weekly because I e-mailed Rey Roldan (of ReyBee Productions) on a whim for an assignment one night and he decided to throw me onto every one of his guestlists in NY & NJ for the rest of that year. Once I stopped freelancing for that particular magazine and went to Buzznet, I haven't had luck like that whatsoever, because they handle all of the booking.

As I'm typing this I see a connection, because POZ is now owned by Buzz Media. Maybe its something that they put into place for POZ?

Rey is the best. He was one of the first people i worked with over two years ago, and we still work together very often. Best guy.

If Buzz ever wanted me to join, which will never happen, I'd have huge issues going along with that. Totally hate the way they do things. It's good for the sites but I don't want to give up my own methods and choices of content for that.

Rey is the best. He was one of the first people i worked with over two years ago, and we still work together very often. Best guy.

If Buzz ever wanted me to join, which will never happen, I'd have huge issues going along with that. Totally hate the way they do things. It's good for the sites but I don't want to give up my own methods and choices of content for that.

He really is one of the nicest guys I've come across in the whole scene. I like him a lot and wish I could work with him more often.

Don't take what I said about Buzz Media as law or anything, it's purely speculation.  For all I know Zack could have always been like that.  The only interaction I've had with him was a few years ago when he was looking to take me on as a contributor and he told me to "contact him in a few months."  Needless to say, nothing ever came of it.

He really is one of the nicest guys I've come across in the whole scene. I like him a lot and wish I could work with him more often.

Don't take what I said about Buzz Media as law or anything, it's purely speculation. For all I know Zack could have always been like that. The only interaction I've had with him was a few years ago when he was looking to take me on as a contributor and he told me to "contact him in a few months." Needless to say, nothing ever came of it.

I mean, I wasn't even considering what you said about buzz, I've been critical for quite some time now.

I stopped following POZ via twitter during the whole FOB debacle. WAY too many updates about them, it was constant. 

I see why people like the site though, it's a one stop shop for that scene. We have a sports blog at my work that is essentially the same thing. He takes all the news reported on the local sports teams locally and nationally and posts/links to it from his blog and it's the biggest page in our market. 

People know they can find the latest updates at his site. Where he gets it is irrelevant to most. I've seen a band tweet something and then 2 minutes later he tweets out a link to a post on his site that is literally just the band's tweet. 

Not saying I have a stance either way. It's obvious how they run stuff, some people like it, some people don't. 

I stopped following POZ via twitter during the whole FOB debacle. WAY too many updates about them, it was constant.

I see why people like the site though, it's a one stop shop for that scene. We have a sports blog at my work that is essentially the same thing. He takes all the news reported on the local sports teams locally and nationally and posts/links to it from his blog and it's the biggest page in our market.

People know they can find the latest updates at his site. Where he gets it is irrelevant to most. I've seen a band tweet something and then 2 minutes later he tweets out a link to a post on his site that is literally just the band's tweet.

Not saying I have a stance either way. It's obvious how they run stuff, some people like it, some people don't.

You hit the nail on the head there.