Hidden In Plain View - Life In Dreaming - Available on 3/8

NICE. This is the heat I've been waiting for. The good news is, much like you, I don't make my living off my "label". So when I run out of records that I choose to reissue I can just keep on living my life. But I'll be glad the records I chose to work on were given a level of care that was justifiable in my eyes, and in a price/quantity I thought were fair. Hopefully any other reissue label that springs up takes this path rather than the cash grab style of others.

PS: Your Weatherbox reissue was really cool.

Nice. Really liked what you did with Perhaps I suppose...

Maybe you could do MCMLXXXV/1985 next??

NICE. This is the heat I've been waiting for. The good news is, much like you, I don't make my living off my "label". So when I run out of records that I choose to reissue I can just keep on living my life. But I'll be glad the records I chose to work on were given a level of care that was justifiable in my eyes, and in a price/quantity I thought were fair. Hopefully any other reissue label that springs up takes this path rather than the cash grab style of others.

There's nothing wrong with releasing albums that were special to you. And there's obviously a demand for these albums so why not? The amount of care that you put into your releases is awesome in my opinion, regardless of whether I like the albums or not (which I do :) ). I wouldn't expect someone to spend the time/money to release a product that in the end they were unhappy with, or felt like they could have done better on.

All this work and all this care for this band and this album. I just don't get it.

I am looking forward to what many of these record labels are going to reissue come around 2015, once Drive-Thru's entire back catalog has been licensed out. (And please don't move onto Rushmore Records, either. Yech.)

I love Joe and Company Ink, and I get the whole re-issue boom, but I hope by 2015 the well will dry up and there will be no more... and we will hopefully have labels of this size putting out records by new bands with the same care and quality. Wouldn't that be something? 

PS - Company Ink is working with new artists, by the way. Just wanted to make clear that this is not a dig at all at Joe or his body of work so far.

I love Joe and Company Ink, and I get the whole re-issue boom, but I hope by 2015 the well will dry up and there will be no more... and we will hopefully have labels of this size putting out records by new bands with the same care and quality. Wouldn't that be something? 

PS - Company Ink is working with new artists, by the way. Just wanted to make clear that this is not a dig at all at Joe or his body of work so far.

I agree with a lot of this opinion in general, and Scott's sentiment as well. I'm just using this debate to prolong my brief moment in the sun. 

But I think it's important to remember, a lot of us on this board lived through and were fans of this specific genre/scene in a time when vinyl was not popular. Say what you want about the music, but there is nothing wrong with wanting an album you personally enjoyed, on vinyl. Nothing. If Life In Dreaming was available on vinyl in 2005 there would likely be little to no demand for this, or any comparable release of this time/popularity. So I think it's a fact that it will dry up. But who knows, by then the reissue game might extend into another derivative genre that others will be compelled to bitch about. My personal hope is that the people who buy these records and other pop punk represses have another genre or five in their repertoire. 

While I can only speak for myself, I've been pretty choosy about the records I wanted to work on. I've been lucky enough to get deals done of 4 out of 5 records I sent proposals on, so I'm not just going down a list until I get something to sell. And I agree with Mike 100% on new artists. That's why I pressed those 45s (with this same level of care) but it comes as a shock to no one that there is less demand for those and won't be until a lot of money and time go into them, of which I currently have neither. I'm not exactly counting on myself or comparable "labels" to be the source for new music. It's not my MO just yet.  

If it seems like I'm defending myself and care what people think, it's because I am and I do. I want people to be happy with this stuff or at least understand my intentions. That's why I chose to do it; certainly not for the money or you'd be paying me a lot more. 

god bless you, and god bless the United States of America. (obligatory sign off after my snoozer of a speech)

That is the problem with doing new bands. I have done both and will continue to do both. I love working with newer bands but it is very hard to get them to sell. Lunch for the sky out sold Socratic the album 2 to 1. I expect the same for both day at the fair albums. News sites are much more likely to run a story about lunch for the sky getting pressed to vinyl than Abel's album

Joe I know you really love the records you put out - didn't mean to imply at all otherwise. I agree with you in that I hope the people who pick this up will take a shot on your 45's you've got, too. Pairing a release like this with something new might be a nice happy medium.

That is the problem with doing new bands. I have done both and will continue to do both. I love working with newer bands but it is very hard to get them to sell. Lunch for the sky out sold Socratic the album 2 to 1. I expect the same for both day at the fair albums. News sites are much more likely to run a story about lunch for the sky getting pressed to vinyl than Abel's album

Well if you want instant gratification, of course a new band isn't going to give you that. Managing expectations is important. It's up to the band and the label to go out their and bust their ass and promote it and play shows constantly, and maybe a couple years down the line you'll see some cash from sales of the record. News sites need a reason to want to cover these bands, it's not as easy as just pressing it. If a new band doesn't want to put the work in to promote a record aside from sending somethnig to Punknews, they shouldn't get their music pressed (in my opinion). But that's a discussion for a different thread - don't want to derail Joe's work any further.

Joe I know you really love the records you put out - didn't mean to imply at all otherwise. I agree with you in that I hope the people who pick this up will take a shot on your 45's you've got, too. Pairing a release like this with something new might be a nice happy medium.

Well if you want instant gratification, of course a new band isn't going to give you that. Managing expectations is important. It's up to the band and the label to go out their and bust their ass and promote it and play shows constantly, and maybe a couple years down the line you'll see some cash from sales of the record. News sites need a reason to want to cover these bands, it's not as easy as just pressing it. If a new band doesn't want to put the work in to promote a record aside from sending somethnig to Punknews, they shouldn't get their music pressed (in my opinion). But that's a discussion for a different thread - don't want to derail Joe's work any further.

Didn't take it that way at all, and I am thrilled with this tangent.

Didn't take it that way at all, and I am thrilled with this tangent.

Good to hear.

TL;DR version of the last page for all of you guys:

When you pick this up next week, also pick up this and this. You may find your new favorite band and it will STILL cost you around $20 less than your TOYPAJ order.

It's easy to see both sides of this, my first release is a new band and the thread about it on here is mostly me bumping it, as opposed to this one that's already at 5 pages. I've submitted to a ton of news sites and posted on a bunch of different forums and yet still haven't gotten much interest. This doesn't mean I'm done working with new bands, but its definitely making it harder to get out another release when there's not much interest. Reissues generate a ton of interest but if that's all that's done vinyl will probably die out. It's definitely a double edged sword.

It's easy to see both sides of this, my first release is a new band and the thread about it on here is mostly me bumping it, as opposed to this one that's already at 5 pages. I've submitted to a ton of news sites and posted on a bunch of different forums and yet still haven't gotten much interest. This doesn't mean I'm done working with new bands, but its definitely making it harder to get out another release when there's not much interest. Reissues generate a ton of interest but if that's all that's done vinyl will probably die out. It's definitely a double edged sword.

Give it some time, send the guys to some basements. It's a good record so I'm confident it'll come. The internet is great for a lot of things and it's so easy to get your music out into the world, but it doesn't replace a band actually getting out there and playing for people, meeting other bands, actually building a fan base. I think recently a lot of people have let that idea fall by the wayside.

Speaking of which I still owe you money for my copy.

Give it some time, send the guys to some basements. It's a good record so I'm confident it'll come. The internet is great for a lot of things but it doesn't replace a band actually getting out there and playing for people. I think recently a lot of people have let that idea fall by the wayside.

Speaking of which I still owe you money for my copy.

They entered a contest to play a really big show around here so expect it to be whored out on my Facebook soon. Consider this a preemptive apology. And yeah get to it whenever man, no rush.

Thanks for the compliment re: Weatherbox. I tried my best to make that release as special as possible—and in that aspect, we're the same. I guess I just never saw Hidden In Plain View as anything special whatsoever. (Although I do remember an advance CD of this album going for an absolutely ABSURD amount of money on eBay a few months before the album actually came out—oh, the days before rampant file-sharing...)

My post was in no way a knock on your dedication or passion, because it's obvious you have both, but I just think it could be used on better music. I guess that makes me a snob.

I guess that makes me a snob.

Not really, but I think we can all agree on the subjective nature of music (how else could the Dirty Projectors be popular?). I certainly have no problem with anyone thinking this band/music is terrible because for a lot of ears it is. Hopefully your point/my standards are mimicked by the people who are releasing the "better" music with less care. Then everyone wins.

that is exactly why people hate on labels who only license stuff. i'm not going to single out specific labels. i'm just quoting this to reference what was said not attack the person i'm quoting. they refuse to do the leg work that real labels do with new releases and working with new bands. part of the job is promoting your bands and spending money on that aspect on top of fronting the money for the physical product(s). nobody ever said running a label was easy or did not require a lot of work and money. in this day and age it's fairly easy to promote your bands and spend little money doing so so there is no excuse anymore for labels not to work with new bands.

that is exactly why people hate on labels who only license stuff. i'm not going to single out specific labels. i'm just quoting this to reference what was said not attack the person i'm quoting. they refuse to do the leg work that real labels do with new releases and working with new bands. part of the job is promoting your bands and spending money on that aspect on top of fronting the money for the physical product(s). nobody ever said running a label was easy or did not require a lot of work and money. in this day and age it's fairly easy to promote your bands and spend little money doing so so there is no excuse anymore for labels not to work with new bands.

That's the point I was trying to get at. But to be fair you have to realize a good chunk of these labels were created for the primary purpose of reissuing records they love and nothing more. You can't knock a label for doing what they set out to do in the first place. It's just a different business than the traditional "record label" that we are used to.

that is exactly why people hate on labels who only license stuff. i'm not going to single out specific labels. i'm just quoting this to reference what was said not attack the person i'm quoting. they refuse to do the leg work that real labels do with new releases and working with new bands. part of the job is promoting your bands and spending money on that aspect on top of fronting the money for the physical product(s). nobody ever said running a label was easy or did not require a lot of work and money. in this day and age it's fairly easy to promote your bands and spend little money doing so so there is no excuse anymore for labels not to work with new bands.

I agree with this if that label who only licenses stuff tries to pass themselves off as more than they actually are. Speaking for myself, I've been pretty cautious about my image because comparing myself to a No Sleep/RFC is a laughable prospect. It's a different market entirely and miles apart in difficultly. I actually started doing this because I KNEW some albums I really liked would be licensed at will, and I wanted to do them myself because I knew I could do them to a suitable standard. That distinction, to me, is so important. It's all cool to say "MY LABEL" and all that, but I've tried hard to appear as I am, some guy who sells some quality records, not some A&R guru. I might be making this more than it is, but intent/character mean a lot in this reissue game. You have to do justice to not only the artist/original label, but have some credibility with the people you are marketing the release toward. I'm providing a service to them just as much as I am to the fan and customer.

That's the point I was trying to get at. But to be fair you have to realize a good chunk of these labels were created for the primary purpose of reissuing records they love and nothing more. You can't knock a label for doing what they set out to do in the first place. It's just a different business than the traditional "record label" that we are used to.

Yea I should've just waited for you and liked this. I'm a ramblin' man.