NCAA March Madness 2013 (Official Thread)

Don't see any surprises happening in either of the two conference tournaments starting tomorrow (horizon and big south), however; even if Mercer and Valparaiso do not win their conferences, they obviously have no shots at at-larges so it really doesn't matter.

Since the BCS schools and a few of the mid majors are still playing regular season ball this week, just discuss that in here too.

Yeah butler got destroyed, but I just looked at the box score and there were some pretty telling stats as to why they lost.

Game stats (season stats)

FG 40.8 (45.4)

FT 45.0 (.682)

3pt 21.4 (.357)

A really terrible shooting game.

did you see what VCU did to them on Saturday? HAVOC!

can't really say gonzaga beating anyone would be an upset.  they got a good chance at being a number 1 seed in the tourney.

Yeah butler got destroyed, but I just looked at the box score and there were some pretty telling stats as to why they lost.

Game stats (season stats)

FG 40.8 (45.4)

FT 45.0 (.682)

3pt 21.4 (.357)

A really terrible shooting game.

they were completely shook by VCUs defense and couldn't get a good shot off if their life depended on it.  then in the second half they looked like a completely deflated team against VCU's bench.

UMD needs to finish out the season strong and then win a game or two in the tournament and we're close.

if they beat UNC and UVA to end their season and make a little noise in the ACC tournament, they definitely have a case.

Anyone else watch the UVA/BC game yesterday. Virginia is such a joke of a program.  Such undisciplined play down the stretch and bad coaching by Bennett. 

Yeah this really bums me out too. Although I wouldn't really call the last few years "great" for the Big East haha.... this year is just the death rattle.

I'm definitely planning on going to a game or two next week.

as a VCU fan it really hurts.  felt great finally getting out of the caa and going to the a-10 only for temple and possibly butler and xavier rumors too.  then the year after dayton and st. louis.  just sucks. 

I'll get my bracket, put Ohio State right in the middle like I do every year. Then I'll be heart broken as we struggle to get into the sweet 16. Unless Thomas goes super hero mode in every game, I think we pretty much suck. Kansas destroyed my hope last year.

I'll be doing this with Michigan State... and then I'll decide if I think that it's actually feasible or not and make a more realistic bracket... might be only one this year, though.

Got my ticket for UA/ASU yesterday, hope we destroy them this weekend. (Because fuck ending regular season play on a 3-game losing streak)

Also hoping we pick up a couple quality wins in the tourney, though recent play hasn't been all that reassuring. I do feel a bit more comfortable as a lower ranking/seed, as it puts a lot less pressure on the team. Hell, when we won it all, we were a 4 seed.

Got my ticket for UA/ASU yesterday, hope we destroy them this weekend. (Because fuck ending regular season play on a 3-game losing streak)

Also hoping we pick up a couple quality wins in the tourney, though recent play hasn't been all that reassuring. I do feel a bit more comfortable as a lower ranking/seed, as it puts a lot less pressure on the team. Hell, when we won it all, we were a 4 seed.

how far do you think they will drop today? brutal week for arizona 

AP Top 25 RK TEAM RECORD PTS

1 Gonzaga (51) 29-2 1,607

2 Indiana (7) 25-4 1,517

3 Duke (5) 25-4 1,471

4 Kansas 25-4 1,433

5 Georgetown (2) 23-4 1,384

6 Miami (FL) 23-5 1,245

7 Michigan 24-5 1,240

8 Louisville 24-5 1,217

9 Kansas State 24-5 1,040

10 Michigan State 22-7 1,006

11 Florida 23-5 993

12 New Mexico 25-4 950

13 Oklahoma State 22-6 833

14 Ohio State 21-7 763

15 Marquette 21-7 687

16 Saint Louis 23-5 675

17 Syracuse 22-7 589

18 Arizona 23-6 394

19 Oregon 23-6 332

20 Pittsburgh 23-7 326

21 Virginia Commonwealth 23-6 277

22 Wisconsin 20-9 217

23 UCLA 22-7 196

24 Notre Dame 22-7 164

25 Memphis 25-4 149

I'm a big fan of a lot of these sports threads, but the number of stickies is getting a bit ridiculous in the Everything Else section...

I think we have tried before and it got shut down for gambling.

Yeah, a couple years ago this happened.

how far do you think they will drop today? brutal week for arizona 

It sucked, but was certainly not unexpected. The Pac really got pretty good during conference play, which was a good bit at our expense, and certainly hurt us quite a bit, though I think we're better prepared for the tournament because of it. I had already written off the UCLA game prior to happening, but that USC game was a real letdown, especially given how badly we dominated them in Tucson.

There was an ESPN group at the time for the brackets. There'd be no other way to determine a real winner, as different sites sometimes use different scoring methods. You can't place bets or anything through ESPN, though.

I thought it was the $1 Paypal payments to one person that led to it being thwarted. (I wasn't taking part in it, so I may be wrong there)