Is this place really as bad as everyone says?!

This board has introduced me to a lot of new bands and I really appreciate that. It has also made me aware that to some people think Blink 182 was an important band :blink: . I do wish I could find a board where there was an appreciation for bands like: Really Red, the Germs, Dead Boys, the Dicks, Wayne County and the Electric Chairs, the Vibrators etc... Seems like a lot of kids just aren't listening to the 70's-80's punk. Oh well, tell me more about Title Fight.

I echo this. Lots of great things about the board, but more diversity with regard to other genres and eras of music are really needed. There's a Justin Timberlake preorder page up! I guess it's different, but that guy ain't got nothing on Sam Cooke or Marvin Gaye, neither of which have their own thread.

When you call your daddy tell him to give you a hug, you seem like you need one. Never said anything about any era being "WAAYY better" than any other, I guess I just have a wider appreciation for music from different times. Love the new stuff and the old stuff.

Relax dude, I was joking around. Thought you'd pick up on it.

i love playing 70's tom waits, and have people question my honesty when i tell them it's TOM WAITS.

I was trying to explain to my little sister that this is why I love Tom Waits. Every few years he changes his sound so drastically. Nighthawks will always be my favorite.

I echo this. Lots of great things about the board, but more diversity with regard to other genres and eras of music are really needed. There's a Justin Timberlake preorder page up! I guess it's different, but that guy ain't got nothing on Sam Cooke or Marvin Gaye, neither of which have their own thread.

Definitely. For me it's Sam Cooke and then just barely under him, Otis Redding.

Start a soul thread!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What about maybe adding classic soul to the jazz thread?

The only modern soul singers who have impressed me are Amy Winehouse and Cee-lo. Also Sharon Jones has that good old sound. I am always looking for new singers to blow me away and they just don't. There are probably a lot of amazing soul singers that I just haven't heard of.

What about maybe adding classic soul to the jazz thread?

The only modern soul singers who have impressed me are Amy Winehouse and Cee-lo. Also Sharon Jones has that good old sound. I am always looking for new singers to blow me away and they just don't. There are probably a lot of amazing soul singers that I just haven't heard of.

eli paperboy reed? he's in that genre. not sure what label he's on, but i think dap-king put out a 7", he got signed eventually. you can definitely hear the old school influence from past soul singers in his voice.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bjt9lyAw5Qk

or

dude's really good live too.

al green > teddy pendergrass > curtis mayfield > lou rawls > otis redding

marvin left off the list because i'm way too unfamiliar with his work. all i know is that i love "got to give it up" as much as i hate "aint no mountain high enough".

same goes for sam cooke who i've only just started to scratch the surface of in the last month or so. i'm more familiar with his songs when performed by others, aka nicolette larson and rod stewart.

eli paperboy reed? he's in that genre. not sure what label he's on, but i think dap-king put out a 7", he got signed eventually. you can definitely hear the old school influence from past soul singers in his voice.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bjt9lyAw5Qk

or

dude's really good live too.

I appreciate his obvious appreciation for classic soul, but it's not quite there for me. What I look for in a good soul/jazz singer is they need to be able to sing like they've been stabbed in the chest. There is a genuine sadness and longing, even in the happy songs, when you listen to singer's like Sam Cooke, Otis, Billie Holiday, Amy Winehouse, and even Janis Joplin.

I appreciate his obvious appreciation for classic soul, but it's not quite there for me. What I look for in a good soul/jazz singer is they need to be able to sing like they've been stabbed in the chest. There is a genuine sadness and longing, even in the happy songs, when you listen to singer's like Sam Cooke, Otis, Billie Holiday, Amy Winehouse, and even Janis Joplin.

sorta like Eddie Levert Sr., Wilson Pickett, Sharon Jones,