Poll: Would you buy a charity compilation on vinyl?

Charity Comp on vinyl  

30 members have voted

1. 1. Would you buy a charity comp on vinyl?

Hey guys!

As some of you may know I'm starting a vinyl only record company. *cue dramatic music*

Anyways one of our first pressings is most likely going to be charity compilation with the likes of The Dear Hunter, William Beckett, Brooke Waggoner, Funeral Party, Generationals, Hotel of the Laughing Tree, Young Statues and others with proceeds going to fight global poverty and social injustice. 

Would you guys buy a single LP vinyl comp? Do you tend to avoid them? 

I'd love to know VC's thoughts. 

Thanks for your time guys. 

i don't usually like compilations on vinyl. i like to listen to records for the whole album experience. If it's a compilation of a bunch of different bands, it either has to (A) flow incredibly well, like a well-orchestrated movie soundtrack or ( B) be exclusive songs by a ton of bands i want to hear. one bad song can ruin a compilation.

but maybe i'm just picky.

if it's anything like the "ooh do i love you" comp, i'm in.... (still hoping this gets some vinyl treatment, someday perhaps)

R-150-1655728-1288496554.jpeg

http://www.discogs.com/Various-Ooh-Do-I-Love-You/release/1655728

...or Polyvinyl's Japan Benefit

R-150-3150275-1318088892.jpeg

http://www.discogs.com/Various-Japan-31111-A-Benefit-Album/release/3150275

What made you decide not to initially? 

To be honest, I'm skeptical about enough demand being there to recoup the cost, and I really can't risk fronting that much cash if nobody buys it. Then I'm out the cash, and so is the charity. I figure it's easier for me to pull everything together and make it digital, that way I know I'll at least be sending SOMETHING the charity's way.

Now, if it comes out and we blow up with orders, maybe I'd think about pressing it. It's all going to be un-released/b-sides, so you never know.

Having said that - I would definitely pick up what you're working on, seems like a good cause and the roster looks pretty legit. I'm also pretty sure with those bands you have listed you'd have a demand for it. I've got to assume Dear Hunter completists would it up, and there must be a few hundred of those, right?

To be honest, I'm skeptical about enough demand being there to recoup the cost, and I really can't risk fronting that much cash if nobody buys it. Then I'm out the cash, and so is the charity. I figure it's easier for me to pull everything together and make it digital, that way I know I'll at least be sending SOMETHING the charity's way.

Now, if it comes out and we blow up with orders, maybe I'd think about pressing it. It's all going to be un-released/b-sides, so you never know.

Having said that - I would definitely pick up what you're working on, seems like a good cause and the roster looks pretty legit. I'm also pretty sure with those bands you have listed you'd have a demand for it. I've got to assume Dear Hunter completists would it up, and there must be a few hundred of those, right?

At least and from my understanding we could do it as 1 LP so that would help cost wise. Are there any details on your comp? Ill need to pick it up when it comes out!

I like comps if they have bands I'm interested in. I get the impression that most don't sell very well. All I know here is The Dear Hunter, and I'm mixed on them. In this case I'd need to hear a stream to see if I like it enough. That's why I like Mike's idea of putting it out digitally first to test the waters.

At least and from my understanding we could do it as 1 LP so that would help cost wise. Are there any details on your comp? Ill need to pick it up when it comes out!

I'm shooting for having it out around late April/May... I basically have the tracklist all finished. It's for Occupy Sandy (Hurricane relief here in the city/NJ). Mostly new/un-released stuff from all of the bands I've worked with, some local bands here, and few labels on here have gotten me in touch with a few other bands I dig... should be an all around good time. I actually made a thread a few weeks ago about the artwork for it.

It'll probably cost in the $4 range, with an option to pick up a print of the artwork as well. Obviously everyone on VC will hear about it when it's ready to go.

These would be exclusive songs. Forgot to add that!

It's a good way to find bands I've never would have listened to otherwise, but that alone wouldn't be enough incentive. This definitely changes things. I might pick up a compilation even if i only like 1 or 2 of the bands and the songs are exclusive. 

http://www.storenvy.com/products/221477-invisible-children-benefit-lp

There is this great comp. I still need to get it. Haven't yet. Vinyl only I believe. 

The problem with that comp is that while it has some pretty cool artists, there's so much shit against the organization it's trying to benefit. I'd bet people have avoided that release just because of the whole KONY thing.