Topics getting locked

I have no real answer. I tend not to lock anything unless I plan to delete it. I think locks are for redundant, abusive and overtly troll oriented threads. In those instances, why are we letting those threads continue to exist and clutter the board? 

There is no uniform policy and I don't think things are going so poorly that one needs to be addressed. If something was locked that you want reopened shoot a note to me, I'm a fairly nice fellow and I can help sort it out.

I also think that a note in the last post before a lock is not an unreasonable notion. I have no idea who locked that thread but I presume they had a reason. 

I make for a terrible authority figure and should probably resign. 

I have no real answer. I tend not to lock anything unless I plan to delete it. I think locks are for redundant, abusive and overtly troll oriented threads. In those instances, why are we letting those threads continue to exist and clutter the board? 

There is no uniform policy and I don't think things are going so poorly that one needs to be addressed. If something was locked that you want reopened shoot a note to me, I'm a fairly nice fellow and I can help sort it out.

I also think that a note in the last post before a lock is not an unreasonable notion. I have no idea who locked that thread but I presume they had a reason. 

you're by far my favorite mod :wub:

Something I've seen work really well is a "banished/shit talking/derailed" forum on boards.

Is your thread dumb, derailed, or turned into a flame war? Banish it to the dark corner of the board instead of deleting or locking it.  Let people have their fun/freak out without bothering anyone else.  If you enter that forum you're asking for a shitshow.

Let's be honest...

Derailment on the General board = unsalvagable
Derailment on the Everything Else board = business as usual

As Juan said we don't have time to read EVERY post, but if 90% of page is giant bold text with Zs and !s we can only assume this wasn't the topics original point of discussion. One could argue that OPs should try and get their threads back on topic but randomly calling people out ain't my thang.

Dave's right, if you feel that strong about it just message a mod. No big deal.