[PO] Deafheaven // Sunbather – 10 Year Remaster

If anyone is going to see them and they have a band color, I would greatly appreciate it if you could pick one up for me. I'll throw some extra cash your way for the trouble.

Please? :D

I think it's already been said, but there is no band color. 

Just the three versions posted here.  

The band does have all colors, can't say what they will be selling, or holding on to though...

fastest. 'preorder.'ever. (dat anticipation to drop date tho'  :o )

Preorders are terrible.

We don't like doing them.

They wreak havoc in the warehouse. 

We try to avoid them whenever possible now, but sometimes we will have to do em. 

Whenever we say preorder, we now use finger quotes.   

Alright, so I get my copy in today. I geek out hard over the initial opening, look of the packaging and clear/splatter vinyl. I'm really excited to hear this on vinyl so I give it cleaning, set it up on the platter, start spinning and step back and wait. Dream House starts playing and I'm all, this sounds really different. It keeps going and I'm hearing ridiculous clarity in drum parts that I don't recognize and then after a solid minute I realize that I'm spinning at 33rpm. Yeah, that happened. Sounds incredible at the intended 45RPM speed though!

I've been there a few times myself -- glad you got that figured out. Much respect for waiting as long as you did. You should definitely post your first impressions after you conclude the first listen.

I actually ended up caving and listening the first night of the "pre-order" but never posted about it. There was a pretty wild lightning storm and I couldn't pass up the chance of taking it in while listening to this album for the first time on my back porch; I didn't regret it. Dream House was the first I'd ever heard Deafheaven, followed by Sunbather on the afternoon of the release. Also, this was my introduction to any kind of black metal/post-black metal. The album is really better than I could have imagined. It feels thorough and complete as a whole. Tons of depth throughout. This is the first that I've listened to an album where single tracks span 10-12 minutes. I love the fact that I can have 4-5 seperate favorite parts of a track and they're all spread across the 10 or so minutes; always something to look forward to. It makes the journey of the track so rewarding each time through. Honestly, I haven't been effected by an album like Sunbather moved me during that first listen in a really long time. I've gone through it, like most of you, numerous times since then and its just solidified itself as a beast of a record. It seems strange for me to say since I don't generally listen to any form of metal, but this is far and away my choice for album of the year at this point.

Now I'm curious. You say that you "don't generally listen to any form of metal" and yet you came upon DFHVN and Sunbather. So, how did you get to it? What brought you here? 

And before anyone gets their panties in a wad and thinks I'm "attacking" sapst16, I am asking because I am always curious and interest on how people who generally don't listen or enjoy a particular genre of music, end up listening and liking it. 

Now I'm curious. You say that you "don't generally listen to any form of metal" and yet you came upon DFHVN and Sunbather. So, how did you get to it? What brought you here? 

And before anyone gets their panties in a wad and thinks I'm "attacking" sapst16, I am asking because I am always curious and interest on how people who generally don't listen or enjoy a particular genre of music, end up listening and liking it. 

Actually, agreetodisagree mentioned these guys to me a number of weeks ago and said they had a new album coming out and linked me to a rip of Dream House on youtube. He generally has spot on recommendations for me and he compared them to a heavier, screamier version of Explosions in the Sky so that was enough for me to give it a listen. I wasn't absolutely floored after the first time through but there were different parts that I really appreciated (i.e. the roughly 25 second section at 1:09 and how it launches you into the rest of the track, the drums overall, the somewhat atmospheric/daze-inducing result of layered guitar tracks). The more I listened to it, the more I started enjoying the other sections of the track that I initially overlooked and it got me pretty excited for the release. 

I used to listen to some "harder" bands early on in high school but it's been a good 10 years since. I used to go to youth group at the church my mom went to back then and was introduced to/got into bands like Zao and Living Sacrifice. I've never really been opposed to metal or harder music with screaming vocals since then, it just isn't something that I've been listening to actively for a long time. 

Such cool reads, sapst16.  I'm really stoked to hear that you're digging it, especially considering how it's maybe a bit out of your comfort zone.  I'm more or less "hooked" on all of the elements that Sunbather is composed of, and I think the band pulls them off well.  Which is why I've gotten some of my unfortunately close-minded, metal-head friends to appreciate the shoegaze and post-rock vibes... and my more "casual listening" friends to give the album's heavier moments a shot.  There's a bit of something for everyone, I think, and I really admire that.

So if Dream House was your first exposure to the band... is it safe to say you've never heard their debut, Roads To Judah?  It's a phenomenal release, and one that I revisit regularly even today.  I don't see how someone could appreciate Sunbather and not enjoy 'Judah.  Please pick it up over at Deathwish.  $12.00, and it's available on the sleekest variants the album has seen, in my opinion.  If you don't buy it for yourself, I will.  Perfect for your "first-listen-on-vinyl-streak", I'd say.

• Derek™ changed the title to [PO] Deafheaven // Sunbather – 10 Year Remaster