Fuckin' USPS' Network Distribution Centers: the thread.

I doubt he's being an asshole, I got a new mailman and he puts LPs in my fuckin mailbox unlike the last person who left them nicely against my door, but it's probably just a new mailman who isn't comfortable with leaving the packages out.

if they weren't comfortable with leaving the packages out, that would be fine. except for the fact that any supposed attempts at delivery are going on while i'm actually at home, so they wouldn't have to leave them out in the first place. and even if that was the case, then they're still supposed to attempt delivery more than once and leave a notice letting you know when things are going to be held for pickup at the post office. you only have a two week window to go fetch your package before they send them back, which i almost missed when the notice didn't even show up until a week after they supposedly attempted to deliver it.

Postal service workers are trained to use their best judgement whether to leave a package in an un secure location. No matter what the circumstance. The workers get credits for dropping off packages that are deemed "safely" delivered. I don't see what's wrong with going to the mail to pick it up, and def go during non peak hours.

i would totally appreciate if they didn't think it was safe, but i see packages in the hall all the time. and i've been getting packages left in the hall for the year and a half that i've lived here. more so, the issue is the fact that i'm home when these deliveries are supposedly happening, so they could personally hand me the package if they were that concerned. and the bigger issue is that they're not telling me i need to go pick up things at the post office. the one recently, i only know because of tracking, but i've got about 10 other packages that i don't have tracking for and no way of knowing if they're being held or not. 

and the post office by me is beyond terrible. they locked me inside once. and the last time i had to go pick up something there, it took an hour and a half. plus, i don't even know what they're holding since they're not notifying me. it's not like it's a small local post office, it's brooklyn, so i can't just ask them to look around and check for anything with my name on it. 

I'm dealing with that "delivery status not updated" right now too haha. This was after is was scheduled "Out for Delivery" but I guess the mailman decided the weather was too rough to deliver his route. It's a registered package from Japan (Beck's Mutations, which I spent $60+ shipping for, so it better get here). Have no idea what I'm supposed to do with that status.

I get that you hate USPS and all that which is fine but mailmen don't just decide to not deliver their route because the "weather is too rough"

Since beginning of December, there's been 5 days that we have shut down delivery here where I live because it was literally -40 degrees out or there was 2 feet of snow which made it impossible for the trucks from the sorting center to even drive the mail to the local offices.

Ok I gotcha...you'll have the same mailman for 5 out of the 6 days of the week we deliver. The other day (which would be your regular mailman's day off) you'll have someone else.

I don't really know what the deal is to tell you the truth. I can say that all mail and packages that comes to your office, definitely goes out for delivery. They wouldn't just leave it at the office for no reason. My guess is that your regular mailman is shitty. My advice would be to call your post office and ask to talk to the postmaster and explain what's going on because its really weird that you would get a notice one day with a date on it that's a week old.

thanks for the input! 

i'll try to talk to the postmaster, but i've had nothing but awful experiences at this post office, so i'm not hoping for much.

question: if they came to deliver a package and didn't feel comfortable leaving it in the hall, wouldn't they at least check to see if the person is home to receive it? the fact that this is happening while i'm actually at home and that no notice informing me of my package's whereabouts is really worrisome. like i said, i have a bunch of packages that i don't have tracking info for and without leaving notices, i have no way to know if they're being held or not.

You know what I don't get... You live in Brooklyn! Go out and shop for your records haha

i try to! these were things that i traded for, are OOP, and releases that weren't available in retail shops. i try to support local record stores whenever i can, but the fact is, most of the records i order never even make it to them. a lot of small labels don't have distro and a lot of releases sell out online. plus, it can be hard to find good stuff in the shops since record shopping is huge here and the selection gets so heavily picked over.

I get that you hate USPS and all that which is fine but mailmen don't just decide to not deliver their route because the "weather is too rough"

Since beginning of December, there's been 5 days that we have shut down delivery here where I live because it was literally -40 degrees out or there was 2 feet of snow which made it impossible for the trucks from the sorting center to even drive the mail to the local offices.

look I understand it snowed today, and I didn't want to drive to work either, but no one got their mail today on my block. i'm getting tired of stuff getting scanned as "delivered" and it not showing up or showing up 3 days later or expecting me to read their mind that "delivered" actually means come pick it up. then i'm made to feel crazy for asking why they can't do their job properly. it's mail delivery not rocket science. these dudes at my local post office are the laziest bunch of union-backed goons I've ever seen, so I guess I should be amazed anything gets delivered at all.

CW835Fm.jpg

So this was about two weeks ago... From Washington to lower California. It was a 13$ new record poorly packed anyhow (no cardboards) I can't necessarily blame the USPS. Media Mail is no secret that packages up to 70 pounds might ship with. Even when the post office people "strategically" place boxes in certain ways there's no telling what's going to happen when they're out driving, or if the packages are on a commercial truck or commercial plane. Plus it's not like they don't give insurance options. (Still haven't had a bummed package sent when I bought insurance)

Which leads me to a random conclusion!!! I sold a record for 100$ last year with the priority shipping and I just realized that's automatic 50$ insurance. This fucking skater/photographer dude told me the package came in bent and said he wanted 50$ back for the damages but to keep the record. I told him to screw off and instead he ship the whole thing back. He opened an eBay case against me 45 minutes after receiving the package. Now it all makes sense he was going to get 50$ from me (as if I were some power seller or something) and then claim 50$ insurance from USPS. What a punk!

So glad I won that case!

look I understand it snowed today, and I didn't want to drive to work either, but no one got their mail today on my block. i'm getting tired of stuff getting scanned as "delivered" and it not showing up or showing up 3 days later or expecting me to read their mind that "delivered" actually means come pick it up. then i'm made to feel crazy for asking why they can't do their job properly. it's mail delivery not rocket science. these dudes at my local post office are the laziest bunch of union-backed goons I've ever seen, so I guess I should be amazed anything gets delivered at all.

Possibly a huge glitch in the system? 

The most annoying thing I hate is when it says on the system, "Delivery status not updated" when it's clearly been delivered. I guess I've been lucky 3 times that no one has filed a claim against me during those times. (they were sold to NY too)

i try to! these were things that i traded for, are OOP, and releases that weren't available in retail shops. i try to support local record stores whenever i can, but the fact is, most of the records i order never even make it to them. a lot of small labels don't have distro and a lot of releases sell out online. plus, it can be hard to find good stuff in the shops since record shopping is huge here and the selection gets so heavily picked over.

If I were you I'd be going to Captured Tracks record store to do some digging at least once a week! They post a lot of great used records maybe some OOP for you too who knows haha.

thanks for the input!

i'll try to talk to the postmaster, but i've had nothing but awful experiences at this post office, so i'm not hoping for much.

question: if they came to deliver a package and didn't feel comfortable leaving it in the hall, wouldn't they at least check to see if the person is home to receive it? the fact that this is happening while i'm actually at home and that no notice informing me of my package's whereabouts is really worrisome. like i said, i have a bunch of packages that i don't have tracking info for and without leaving notices, i have no way to know if they're being held or not.

If they don't feel comfortable leaving it then yes they SHOULD at least come knock on your door and attempt it. Whether they actually do that who knows, there's a lot of lazy carriers haha

look I understand it snowed today, and I didn't want to drive to work either, but no one got their mail today on my block. i'm getting tired of stuff getting scanned as "delivered" and it not showing up or showing up 3 days later or expecting me to read their mind that "delivered" actually means come pick it up. then i'm made to feel crazy for asking why they can't do their job properly. it's mail delivery not rocket science. these dudes at my local post office are the laziest bunch of union-backed goons I've ever seen, so I guess I should be amazed anything gets delivered at all.

If nobody got mail on your block, then there is a reason for it. What that reason is, I don't know because I don't work at that office but I can assure you that its not just a " oh I don't feel like delivering that part today"

If you're having a bunch of problems then its obvious that you have a shitty carrier(we all know there's a lot of those) and if you have tried talking to the postmaster and nothing has changed and you're still experiencing problems, then why don't you get a PO box? Sure, it might suck having to go to the office and all but it beats having to go through all the hassle it seems you're going through.

Also, not everybody in the USPS is in the same union, there's a union for the carriers, the clerks, and the Rural carriers. The postmaster has zero to do with any of those unions so if you talk to them, they SHOULD be able to figure out what's going on.

And to be clear, I'm not saying that USPS is awesome. Its well documented that there are a lot of issues and shitty service with us. There's those same exact problems with FedEx and UPS though too.

Just a lot of people like to complain about things when they don't really know how it works or what's going on. If anyone has questions, I'll do my best to answer them to the best of my knowledge through the experiences I've had working there for the last 6 years.

Since you're here Mailman Brock Saget, I have a question. What's the process like for a "Return to Sender" package? Background: sent something Priority, it disappeared, sent a replacement that got delivered in 3 days, then 1st package magically reappeared 2 weeks later and got delivered.

I'm kind of confused, did the package get lost or was it supposed to be sent back to you? If it was supposed to get returned to sender, then it should have been scanned "return to sender" with whatever reason why it was being sent back.

If it got lost for a while, then found and got delivered to where it needed to go, is the person supposed to send you back one of the packages?

Sorry about that. Wrote 1st package off as lost - no updates or scans for 2 weeks. Sent a replacement a week after the 1st was supposed to be delivered. The 2nd package got delivered with no problems. Was going to file an insurance claim on 1st package when the tracking finally got updated and it was delivered the next day.

Yeah, the recipient said they would send one back. Just wondering what the average timeframe would be on that I guess.

If they don't feel comfortable leaving it then yes they SHOULD at least come knock on your door and attempt it. Whether they actually do that who knows, there's a lot of lazy carriers haha

haha fair enough. but ok. so if they're not going to knock or buzz to see if the person is home AND they're not comfortable leaving packages in the hall, then what's the point of even bringing the packages to our building?

Sorry about that. Wrote 1st package off as lost - no updates or scans for 2 weeks. Sent a replacement a week after the 1st was supposed to be delivered. The 2nd package got delivered with no problems. Was going to file an insurance claim on 1st package when the tracking finally got updated and it was delivered the next day.

Yeah, the recipient said they would send one back. Just wondering what the average timeframe would be on that I guess.

Ok I gotcha. If someone refuses a package and wants it to be sent back to sender then it usually takes about 2 weeks to get back.

Say you receive a notice for a package that you have to go pick up for whatever reason. From the date on the notice, you have 30 days to go pick it up, otherwise your post office will send it back to the sender.

So with your case, I'd say it shouldn't take more than 10-14 days to get back to you from the date they sent it back. I'm honestly not too sure why return to sender packages take longer to get back. Something to do with the process it has to go through I believe.

If I were you I'd be going to Captured Tracks record store to do some digging at least once a week! They post a lot of great used records maybe some OOP for you too who knows haha.

i haven't been there yet. will have to check it out! heaven street and vinyl fantasy are close to me, so i try to stop by those places and do some digging. i haven't had too much luck with digging over the years though. a lot of the shops also sell things on the ebay, so if anything good comes in used then they usually sell on there instead of putting it out in the shop. another unfortunate thing is a lot of shops tend to put price stickers on the actual covers, which is a big pet peeve of mine. especially when they then put said stickered record in a plastic sleeve. whyyyyy? why would you do that?

haha fair enough. but ok. so if they're not going to knock or buzz to see if the person is home AND they're not comfortable leaving packages in the hall, then what's the point of even bringing the packages to our building?

Good point haha

I really think you just have a shitty carrier. If you're ever home around the time they usually get there, you should watch and see what they do. Shit, record them on your phone so you have evidence. If they say " well I attempted it" you can prove that they didn't.

I'm sorry your carrier blows, people like that really get under my skin.

Ok I gotcha. If someone refuses a package and wants it to be sent back to sender then it usually takes about 2 weeks to get back.

Say you receive a notice for a package that you have to go pick up for whatever reason. From the date on the notice, you have 30 days to go pick it up, otherwise your post office will send it back to the sender.

So with your case, I'd say it shouldn't take more than 10-14 days to get back to you from the date they sent it back. I'm honestly not too sure why return to sender packages take longer to get back. Something to do with the process it has to go through I believe.

Thanks a lot for the info! Had a nagging suspicion that ^ would be the case.

This was literally the first time I had a package disappear. Looks like I have a few more days of wating. I live in the middle of nowhere so the USPS is all I have. Appreciate the "customer service."

Good point haha

I really think you just have a shitty carrier. If you're ever home around the time they usually get there, you should watch and see what they do. Shit, record them on your phone so you have evidence. If they say " well I attempted it" you can prove that they didn't.

I'm sorry your carrier blows, people like that really get under my skin.

hahaha. ok thanks. i will try that. i actually attempted to stalk them today, but i'm pretty sure they just didn't even come today. 

i guess they are just shitty, but i still don't really understand what's going on. because i do get my packages most of the time (sitting nicely in the hall). and this whole not leaving a notice when they go back to the office thing is quite frustrating. who knows what else i have sitting there waiting to be picked up? i sure don't! haha

is there any way to find out if other packages i don't have tracking for are chilling over there? and i know you're supposed to bring that notice with you to pick up a package that's being held, but since i haven't gotten one for the one that i know is there, are they even going to let me retrieve it?

i've been thrown for a loop with this whole thing since i've actually been fortunate enough to have pretty decent mail carriers in the past. i guess they must have switched my usual one on me recently.

anyhow, thanks for all the help and thanks being an awesome, responsible mail carrier! too bad there aren't more like you out there.

hahaha. ok thanks. i will try that. i actually attempted to stalk them today, but i'm pretty sure they just didn't even come today. 

right after i posted this, i checked the tracking on my bouncing souls record that went "out for delivery" this morning. and now it says "available for pickup". i was home all day and really tried to catch my mail carrier and never heard them come in, so i'm pretty sure they didn't. and again, no notice left. 

i really don't think they're even trying anymore.