Fuckin' USPS' Network Distribution Centers: the thread.

ok, so i’ve been having some...issues...with my mail lately. it’s gotten to the point where i’m pretty concerned and not really sure what to do to rectify the situation.

sorry, this is going to be long. it’s been a mess.

i’ve been living at the same apartment in brookyn for the past year and a half and never had any issues with my mail until about two months ago. a pretty hard-to-find record i had ordered for someone as a xmas gift basically went missing for a few days. the tracking info claimed that it had been delivered at 10pm on a saturday (wait...what?), but it wasn’t there. i started to worry that maybe a random drunk person ran off with it or something, but then, magically, it showed up three days later (ok…). whatever. i was worried while it was missing, but then happy to have it finally show. i just figured it was a one-off issue.

lately, i’ve had a couple things go “out for delivery” and not actually get delivered for a few days. one was even fedex and i asked the driver when he had me sign for a different package two days after the first one was supposedly being delivered and he was not even remotely helpful...just said he didn’t know anything about it and if it was on the truck, it would have been delivered. right.

a few weeks ago, a record i ordered seemed to go missing again. it had been mailed out a few weeks earlier and still hadn’t showed. suddenly, one day, i find a notice in my mailbox saying that it was at the post office waiting for me to go pick it up. the weird thing was, they never do that. i live in a locked apartment building, so they always just leave the packages by the mailboxes. the other weird part was that the notice was dated a week earlier, but definitely hadn’t been in my box until that day. i sucked it up, trekked to the post office (which has to be one of the worst post offices ever), where it took over an hour and a half for me to get my package. the woman spent 20 minutes looking for it before she came back and just shrugged and said she couldn’t find it. i told her it was a record and then she was finally able to find it.

i’ve been on a bit of a buying spree lately and have a bunch of records that are supposed to be en route to me, only a few of which do i actually have tracking numbers for. the tracking for one says that it went out for delivery this morning. hasn’t showed. another, claims it went out for delivery friday morning, then switched that same day to “available for pickup”. i was home all day friday. there’s no reason it wouldn’t have been able to be delivered. and even if i wasn’t home, they would usually just leave it. i’m pretty sure they just never even tried. and, what’s worse, there was no notice left saying that i had to go pick it up at the post office. if i didn’t check the tracking, i would have no idea it was even there. which then goes back to the fact that there’s a bunch of other packages that i don’t have tracking info for and i have no idea where they are. someone on here mailed me a record over two weeks ago and it’s yet to show.

i’m starting to get the feeling that my mail carrier just got fed up with the number of packages i get and flat out stopped delivering them.

given the recent incidents of them randomly holding stuff at the post office for unknown reasons and not even letting me know about it (or not letting me know until a week later), i’m getting really pissed and worried about the rest of my incoming records. i literally have no idea what they have or don’t have and i highly doubt they’ll just go digging for packages that may or may not even be there when they couldn’t even find my package we both knew was there the last time.

I'm having the practically the exact same issues here in Philadelphia. It's a mess and part of me thinks the weather might be contributing, but I also think people are stealing my shit from my doorstep (I have a house and they mailman typically leaves them inside my front door) in addition to the people who work for the USPS being horrible at their jobs. 

I'm having the practically the exact same issues here in Philadelphia. It's a mess and part of me thinks the weather might be contributing, but I also think people are stealing my shit from my doorstep (I have a house and they mailman typically leaves them inside my front door) in addition to the people who work for the USPS being horrible at their jobs.

Weather definitely slows mail down and generally there are more fuck ups this time of year.

I know I'm horrible at my job :)

ok, so i’ve been having some...issues...with my mail lately. it’s gotten to the point where i’m pretty concerned and not really sure what to do to rectify the situation.

sorry, this is going to be long. it’s been a mess.

i’ve been living at the same apartment in brookyn for the past year and a half and never had any issues with my mail until about two months ago. a pretty hard-to-find record i had ordered for someone as a xmas gift basically went missing for a few days. the tracking info claimed that it had been delivered at 10pm on a saturday (wait...what?), but it wasn’t there. i started to worry that maybe a random drunk person ran off with it or something, but then, magically, it showed up three days later (ok…). whatever. i was worried while it was missing, but then happy to have it finally show. i just figured it was a one-off issue.

lately, i’ve had a couple things go “out for delivery” and not actually get delivered for a few days. one was even fedex and i asked the driver when he had me sign for a different package two days after the first one was supposedly being delivered and he was not even remotely helpful...just said he didn’t know anything about it and if it was on the truck, it would have been delivered. right.

a few weeks ago, a record i ordered seemed to go missing again. it had been mailed out a few weeks earlier and still hadn’t showed. suddenly, one day, i find a notice in my mailbox saying that it was at the post office waiting for me to go pick it up. the weird thing was, they never do that. i live in a locked apartment building, so they always just leave the packages by the mailboxes. the other weird part was that the notice was dated a week earlier, but definitely hadn’t been in my box until that day. i sucked it up, trekked to the post office (which has to be one of the worst post offices ever), where it took over an hour and a half for me to get my package. the woman spent 20 minutes looking for it before she came back and just shrugged and said she couldn’t find it. i told her it was a record and then she was finally able to find it.

i’ve been on a bit of a buying spree lately and have a bunch of records that are supposed to be en route to me, only a few of which do i actually have tracking numbers for. the tracking for one says that it went out for delivery this morning. hasn’t showed. another, claims it went out for delivery friday morning, then switched that same day to “available for pickup”. i was home all day friday. there’s no reason it wouldn’t have been able to be delivered. and even if i wasn’t home, they would usually just leave it. i’m pretty sure they just never even tried. and, what’s worse, there was no notice left saying that i had to go pick it up at the post office. if i didn’t check the tracking, i would have no idea it was even there. which then goes back to the fact that there’s a bunch of other packages that i don’t have tracking info for and i have no idea where they are. someone on here mailed me a record over two weeks ago and it’s yet to show.

i’m starting to get the feeling that my mail carrier just got fed up with the number of packages i get and flat out stopped delivering them.

given the recent incidents of them randomly holding stuff at the post office for unknown reasons and not even letting me know about it (or not letting me know until a week later), i’m getting really pissed and worried about the rest of my incoming records. i literally have no idea what they have or don’t have and i highly doubt they’ll just go digging for packages that may or may not even be there when they couldn’t even find my package we both knew was there the last time.

You live in a locked apartment building so I assume there's like a clusterbox of mailboxes outside the building right? There's no way for your mail carrier to get into your building right?

Assuming that there is a clusterbox outside of your building, does it have a parcel locker or anything like that out there for when you get packages? I ask because if there isn't, mail carriers are NOT supposed to leave packages in an unsecure location. If there is no locker or anything like that and there's no way for them to get to your apartment door, they're supposed to leave you a notice.

Weather definitely slows mail down and generally there are more fuck ups this time of year.

I know I'm horrible at my job :)

i'm totally willing to accept delays. i can be patient. the things i'm concerned about are 1. that packages are supposedly going "out for delivery" without any attempts at delivery actually being made. and 2. that they're randomly deciding to hold my packages hostage without actually telling me that i need to go get them, so i don't even know what's being held there. 

You live in a locked apartment building so I assume there's like a clusterbox of mailboxes outside the building right? There's no way for your mail carrier to get into your building right?

Assuming that there is a clusterbox outside of your building, does it have a parcel locker or anything like that out there for when you get packages? I ask because if there isn't, mail carriers are NOT supposed to leave packages in an unsecure location. If there is no locker or anything like that and there's no way for them to get to your apartment door, they're supposed to leave you a notice.

the mailboxes are inside the locked front door. they can get into the building, as they need to for delivering regular mail. things that don't fit in the mailbox, they usually leave in the hallway or on the stairs. it's secure. and that's what they've been doing for the past year and a half that i've lived here with no issues. it's a small building, too...only 6 apartments.

i'm not sure if i have more than one mail person these days, but one of them actually buzzes your apartment as she's leaving to just let you know you have a package waiting in the hall, which is super nice of her. also, which makes this whole thing weirder. either i have a second asshole mail carrier or the post office themselves is randomly holding my packages hostage without even sending them out for delivery, which might also explain the lack of notice left.

I'm dealing with that "delivery status not updated" right now too haha. This was after is was scheduled "Out for Delivery" but I guess the mailman decided the weather was too rough to deliver his route. It's a registered package from Japan (Beck's Mutations, which I spent $60+ shipping for, so it better get here). Have no idea what I'm supposed to do with that status. 

Just got back from my local post office where I dropped off seven packages with preprinted eBay labels. When I asked for the receipt of acceptance, the clerk (she is the snotty one) glared at me and said that when they have to scan each one, "it ties up the line."

Mind you they were all PREPRINTED and only had to be weighed/scanned. It took her less than a minute. Meanwhile all the other clerks were helping other patrons tape packages, fill out forms, etc the entire durations of my wait in ine (~5 min) and I get scolded asking for a receipt.

Ah, USPS....

Sometimes when you do Multiorder shipping and other online printing there is an option for a scan form. Print that first so you could have multiple packages scanned with one form. I used to work near a PO who would claim "that's the only way they scan packages for acceptance."

the mailboxes are inside the locked front door. they can get into the building, as they need to for delivering regular mail. things that don't fit in the mailbox, they usually leave in the hallway or on the stairs. it's secure. and that's what they've been doing for the past year and a half that i've lived here with no issues. it's a small building, too...only 6 apartments.

i'm not sure if i have more than one mail person these days, but one of them actually buzzes your apartment as she's leaving to just let you know you have a package waiting in the hall, which is super nice of her. also, which makes this whole thing weirder. either i have a second asshole mail carrier or the post office themselves is randomly holding my packages hostage without even sending them out for delivery, which might also explain the lack of notice left.

Ok I gotcha...you'll have the same mailman for 5 out of the 6 days of the week we deliver. The other day (which would be your regular mailman's day off) you'll have someone else.

I don't really know what the deal is to tell you the truth. I can say that all mail and packages that comes to your office, definitely goes out for delivery. They wouldn't just leave it at the office for no reason. My guess is that your regular mailman is shitty. My advice would be to call your post office and ask to talk to the postmaster and explain what's going on because its really weird that you would get a notice one day with a date on it that's a week old.

either i have a second asshole mail carrier or the post office themselves is randomly holding my packages hostage without even sending them out for delivery, which might also explain the lack of notice left.

I doubt he's being an asshole, I got a new mailman and he puts LPs in my fuckin mailbox unlike the last person who left them nicely against my door, but it's probably just a new mailman who isn't comfortable with leaving the packages out.

Postal service workers are trained to use their best judgement whether to leave a package in an un secure location. No matter what the circumstance. The workers get credits for dropping off packages that are deemed "safely" delivered. I don't see what's wrong with going to the mail to pick it up, and def go during non peak hours.

Hey Brock,

A trade package I sent out was out for delivery last Friday but then the status changed to "delivery status not updated" and the guy says it still hasn't arrived. He's waiting for a call back from USPS, but have you ever come across this before?

That is weird because if the status ever says "out for delivery" it means that it came to the office and was given to your carrier and literally is out of the office for delivery. If it changed from that to "delivery status not updated", it means that your carrier didn't scan it at all after he got it.

I know I say this a lot and its nothing you probably haven't already thought of but call tomorrow if you're able to and ask and see what they say.