Fuckin' USPS' Network Distribution Centers: the thread.

My favorite band Balzac has some pretty rare releases. One record was limited to only 24 copies. After years of searching, I found a cool seller in Belgium who let it go for $100.

Of course USPS had to destroy this record.

A hole in the box is never a good thing.

1422402_10152144315693076_249881807_n.jp

The record actually got bent with a crease in it. My guess is something heavy sat on top of it for a long time. I tried playing it (you never know), but it tossed the tone arm up and the stylus crashed into the acrylic platter.

1074020_10152144556968076_2122661655_o.j

tumblr_n04l7mgjSk1qzsc1so2_250.jpg

in what fucking world does this make sense?

Actually, I don't see what the big deal is about this. The records are flat and I guarantee that every record we order gets stacked under many more boxes than that while in transit. Unless you are referring to the boxes just being left outside in the open?

you guys have some of the shittiest mailmen/women jesus h christ

yea man I agree, All that is pretty harsh.  I literally spam the records I ship out with neon stickies with black sharpies stating, FRAGILE, PLEASE DO NOT BEND, PLEASE DO NOT THROW and by then hopefully they get the picture. I also write smiley faces to try and come off a little bit friendly so that they don't feel like they're being "directed" and can keep their humility. 

But shit does get stacked on top of each other from the very get go. Here's a huge shipment from Castle Face Records...

1470133_611210945580749_145202225_n.jpg

It's really all about the distributed weight and whether or not the guys in the facility are just slinging shit around or are actually placing things down with two hands.

yea man I agree, All that is pretty harsh.  I literally spam the records I ship out with neon stickies with black sharpies stating, FRAGILE, PLEASE DO NOT BEND, PLEASE DO NOT THROW and by then hopefully they get the picture. I also write smiley faces to try and come off a little bit friendly so that they don't feel like they're being "directed" and can keep their humility. 

It's really all about the distributed weight and whether or not the guys in the facility are just slinging shit around or are actually placing things down with two hands.

I do that too with the smiley faces. I also tape cardboard around the corners to absorb shock.

I do that too with the smiley faces. I also tape cardboard around the corners to absorb shock.

I wonder if I bought from you in the past...(I bought a Beach Fossils record someone shipped it like this) Haha someone sent me the card boarded edges and I loved it so I did that with super expensive records now. It looks like a tank but it works. 

I wonder if I bought from you in the past...(I bought a Beach Fossils record someone shipped it like this) Haha someone sent me the card boarded edges and I loved it so I did that with super expensive records now. It looks like a tank but it works. 

Not Beach Fossils, but I did post this packaging technique in a few threads here.

Before I became a mail carrier, I worked as a clerk in the office and 99.9% of the time, shit gets damaged BEFORE it reaches your local office.

Its hard to explain but around 4 or 5 in the morning, your office receives its mail from the processing plant by a huge truck or semi. Inside these trucks are these huge wire cages or big metal containers full of packages and they're literally just filled to its capacity with the packages and they're piled on top of each other.

Part of my job when I was a clerk was unloading these huge containers of packages and literally taking each one and tossing them in these big hampers that would correlate to a route. Its not like throwing them like a baseball but just lightly tossing them into hampers that are 2-4 feet from where we unload at. Obviously I never would "toss" anything labeled fragile but I cant even begin to tell you how many times that I would be unloading those containers and when getting to the bottom of it how many packages were damaged,crushed,etc and it blows when that happens because I was left there with damaged shit that had absolutely nothing to do with anything I did. We received them as that and when that did happen, all we could do was stamp it with a "sorry, this was damaged in processing in the USPS, we apologize for the inconvience"

Now granted, there are a lot of stupid mail carriers that stuff or bend shit into places that it obviously shouldn't or can't go but still, I'd say that 99% of the time shit arrives to your local post office damaged and they're the ones that have to deal with it.

People that work at the processing and sorting centers don't give a shit. They're worthless

Before I became a mail carrier, I worked as a clerk in the office and 99.9% of the time, shit gets damaged BEFORE it reaches your local office.

Its hard to explain but around 4 or 5 in the morning, your office receives its mail from the processing plant by a huge truck or semi. Inside these trucks are these huge wire cages or big metal containers full of packages and they're literally just filled to its capacity with the packages and they're piled on top of each other.

Part of my job when I was a clerk was unloading these huge containers of packages and literally taking each one and tossing them in these big hampers that would correlate to a route. Its not like throwing them like a baseball but just lightly tossing them into hampers that are 2-4 feet from where we unload at. Obviously I never would "toss" anything labeled fragile but I cant even begin to tell you how many times that I would be unloading those containers and when getting to the bottom of it how many packages were damaged,crushed,etc and it blows when that happens because I was left there with damaged shit that had absolutely nothing to do with anything I did. We received them as that and when that did happen, all we could do was stamp it with a "sorry, this was damaged in processing in the USPS, we apologize for the inconvience"

Now granted, there are a lot of stupid mail carriers that stuff or bend shit into places that it obviously shouldn't or can't go but still, I'd say that 99% of the time shit arrives to your local post office damaged and they're the ones that have to deal with it.

People that work at the processing and sorting centers don't give a shit. They're worthless

thanks for the insight

I worked as a clerk

Isn't there some grocery-bagger-style order in the way stuff gets shipped? Like, the stuff labelled 'fragile' are the 'eggs' and always go at the top, and small thin packages naturally don't get shipped at the bottom? Or is it like, your boss is saying 'get these 40 shipments done in 2 hours' and you kinda just have to make it work?

Isn't there some grocery-bagger-style order in the way stuff gets shipped? Like, the stuff labelled 'fragile' are the 'eggs' and always go at the top, and small thin packages naturally don't get shipped at the bottom? Or is it like, your boss is saying 'get these 40 shipments done in 2 hours' and you kinda just have to make it work?

You would think that there would be a system like that but there's not. Its just shit piled all over each other. Its dumb as shit and its one of the main reasons USPS blows haha

LOL do I have a great story! So I ordered Bad Moon Rising by Sonic Youth from a seller on Amazon who lives in Iowa (I live about 3 hours away in Illinois). They went to ship it out on January 19th. After 10 days without it moving forward from "Electronic Shipping Info. Received," I asked him what was up, so he called his post office and they found the package in the back and it was not shipped out. Fast forward to yesterday, February 3rd, it says it was delivered to someone in Lake Forest, IL, zip code being 60045. My zip code is 60046. I called them, they found the package, and it was finally delivered to me today, after 17 days. When I got the package, it was clear to me that the USPS had opened it up, re-taped it in a different place, and even worse: I ordered a still sealed record, and the USPS tore that open (which I could obviously tell from the plastic being mangled, removed from the record, in the bottom of the box), took out the record, and had to verify that it was, indeed, media. Couple dings on the jacket but thankfully the record is fine. I hate the USPS.