Fuckin' USPS' Network Distribution Centers: the thread.

right after i posted this, i checked the tracking on my bouncing souls record that went "out for delivery" this morning. and now it says "available for pickup". i was home all day and really tried to catch my mail carrier and never heard them come in, so i'm pretty sure they didn't. and again, no notice left. 

i really don't think they're even trying anymore.

Wow I thought those notes were mandatory... You should write a list and demand to speak to the supervisor at your local post office

Wow I thought those notes were mandatory... You should write a list and demand to speak to the supervisor at your local post office

they're definitely supposed to be! i don't think my carrier even came by at all today. and the only time i got one of those notes, it magically showed up a week after they claimed to have tried to deliver it. maybe if i wait a week, i'll finally get notices for these. this whole thing is bananas.

i'm going to try to talk to them tomorrow and mention the fact that this has happened twice in one week...to my knowledge. my big concern is the fact that a lot of stuff that i'm expecting, i don't even have tracking numbers for and that seems to be my only way to know when they're waiting at the post office. i have literally no idea what else is being held hostage there. 

I'm starting to see USPS as the most unreliable service when it comes to packages. During the holiday season they asked me to change my address on my online orders from Apt # to Floor # because they couldn't find my house? I've lived here for 12 years and never had that problem. I finally change it to Floor # and again they weren't able to deliver. This time they didn't even ring the doorbell or we would have heard it! My carrier is such a lazy turd. 

Last month I sold an Apple TV on Amazon for my brother. The buyer was at a military base in Germany. I shipped it off on the 10th, and I got a message from the buyer saying they haven't  received it yet. They told me the last item they ordered from the states took 10 days. I checked the tracking number and the only entry it has was that it left the post office on the 11th. I have limited experience shipping international, and I've never had a package get lost in the mail before. I sent the buyer an email telling them all the info I know, and told them it might have been delayed because of all the snowstorms lately. What else can I/should I do?

So, a little update on this. I got another message from the buyer saying that the still haven't received it after six weeks. I checked the tracking number again to see what was going on. The only entry is "Package has left seller facility and is in transit to carrier" , so that just means I printed off the shipping label at home. When I took the package to the post office, I took it straight to the clerk, and he had me fill out a customs form. I then gave the package directly to him and he told me it was good to go. Six weeks later and I have no idea where it's at so I went to the post office to ask about it. It's a really small post office that only has one person working there. I talked to the man and told him that it had never been scanned in or had any updates. He looked around and couldn't find the package, so he told me to check at the other post office. I drove over there and talked with a clerk there. Here's what I understood of what he told me. The customs form "overrules" the tracking number. They can't scan that tracking number in, and the customs number takes the place of it. I didn't know that the customs number could be tracked. I can't find my customs receipt, so basically I'm screwed out of the $125 I sold the Apple TV for, because the package hasn't showed up and I have no way to prove I sent it, and they won't insure it unless they can prove the value via the customs form. He told me it could be stuck at customs, but with it being six weeks already, I doubt the package is ever going to get there or be returned to me. :-/

So, a little update on this. I got another message from the buyer saying that the still haven't received it after six weeks. I checked the tracking number again to see what was going on. The only entry is "Package has left seller facility and is in transit to carrier" , so that just means I printed off the shipping label at home. When I took the package to the post office, I took it straight to the clerk, and he had me fill out a customs form. I then gave the package directly to him and he told me it was good to go. Six weeks later and I have no idea where it's at so I went to the post office to ask about it. It's a really small post office that only has one person working there. I talked to the man and told him that it had never been scanned in or had any updates. He looked around and couldn't find the package, so he told me to check at the other post office. I drove over there and talked with a clerk there. Here's what I understood of what he told me. The customs form "overrules" the tracking number. They can't scan that tracking number in, and the customs number takes the place of it. I didn't know that the customs number could be tracked. I can't find my customs receipt, so basically I'm screwed out of the $125 I sold the Apple TV for, because the package hasn't showed up and I have no way to prove I sent it, and they won't insure it unless they can prove the value via the customs form. He told me it could be stuck at customs, but with it being six weeks already, I doubt the package is ever going to get there or be returned to me. :-/

Im not sure how things work for us military addresses in germany but the packages that usually go through customs here can take weeks. Ive already had packages that took almost two months to arrive from the us. You could try to find out the customs offices phone number thats next to the guys address and call them to check if they know anything. Also, advise him to check the customs office too. If you need any help with the german language, feel free to pm me

Im not sure how things work for us military addresses in germany but the packages that usually go through customs here can take weeks. Ive already had packages that took almost two months to arrive from the us. You could try to find out the customs offices phone number thats next to the guys address and call them to check if they know anything. Also, advise him to check the customs office too. If you need any help with the german language, feel free to pm me

Thanks, this is really helpful. The post code is APO, AE 09096 which looks like Wiesbaden, Germany. From what I just read, it goes to New York and then gets sent from there to the Military base in Germany. The buyer told me packages normally take around 10 days to get there.

Hey Brock,

A trade package I sent out was out for delivery last Friday but then the status changed to "delivery status not updated" and the guy says it still hasn't arrived. He's waiting for a call back from USPS, but have you ever come across this before?

Update on mine- it was delivered today, but apparently the box wasn't in the best shape. Luckily the contents were unharmed.

Thanks, this is really helpful. The post code is APO, AE 09096 which looks like Wiesbaden, Germany. From what I just read, it goes to New York and then gets sent from there to the Military base in Germany. The buyer told me packages normally take around 10 days to get there.

I was stationed in Europe for 3 years and what the buyer told you is correct.  His time frames are also correct if sending via Priority.  

Update on mine- it was delivered today, but apparently the box wasn't in the best shape. Luckily the contents were unharmed.

Good. glad it got there. Still weird it was "out for delivery" last Friday and they didn't get it until almost a week later. This kind of thing is one of those things that I have absolutely no idea what they're doing haha

yeah, that is the normal time frame. however there can be exceptions and from my experience the customs people work really slowly in some cases...

I can't stand my USPS office. They have to be the rudest people I've ever dealt with. The lady asks me a question and I'm trying to explain with the ANSWER and she says no no answer my question. STFU and let me explain woman! It's not my fault your carriers don't realize that 2nd Floor stands for Second Floor! I swear they must have put me on a list of addresses to screw with ever since I started working at Fedex...

I can't stand my USPS office. They have to be the rudest people I've ever dealt with. The lady asks me a question and I'm trying to explain with the ANSWER and she says no no answer my question. STFU and let me explain woman! It's not my fault your carriers don't realize that 2nd Floor stands for Second Floor!

Sounds like my local office.

My carrier handed me a fucked up (bent in half) LP mailer a few days ago and said. "My son collects vinyl, I know this is nerve wracking but let it be known that this probably happened in transit. I would never do this." Awesome woman.

Anyone shipping a record should be well aware of how careful the USPS handles these. It's up to the sender to do all that is reasonable to package the record to survive a trip through transit hell.

This is more of a 'fuckin eBay' question rather than USPS, but it's being shipped USPS so I figured I'd ask:

I won a thing off eBay, and the seller shipped the thing.  Problem is, eBay didn't include my Apt. # in my shipping address for whatever reason and now I'm afraid the thing is going to be sent back undelivered.

I have the tracking # and my town has 1 mail carrier because it's so small... he knows I get packages regularly.  Does anyone think there's a chance it'll still get to me?  Or should I call my post office and see if they could add the Apt # on it once it arrives?

This is more of a 'fuckin eBay' question rather than USPS, but it's being shipped USPS so I figured I'd ask:

I won a thing off eBay, and the seller shipped the thing.  Problem is, eBay didn't include my Apt. # in my shipping address for whatever reason and now I'm afraid the thing is going to be sent back undelivered.

I have the tracking # and my town has 1 mail carrier because it's so small... he knows I get packages regularly.  Does anyone think there's a chance it'll still get to me?  Or should I call my post office and see if they could add the Apt # on it once it arrives?

If the town's small and the mail carrier / post office is used to you getting packages, they may recognize the name and address and be smart enough to figure it out and put it with the rest of your correctly-labeled mail. I used to live in an apartment complex, and mail without my apt # included always seemed to show up - and that was in a city, not a small town.

That said, if you're worried about it, a phone call is only going to take a couple minutes, and is probably worth the peace of mind. If it was me, I'd probably wait for it to arrive at the local PO, and then see if they attempt a delivery that day. If the tracking doesn't show anything happening a day after arrival at the local PO, then chances are they don't know what to do with it, and then you can call (or just show up there yourself) to straighten it out.

If the town's small and the mail carrier / post office is used to you getting packages, they may recognize the name and address and be smart enough to figure it out and put it with the rest of your correctly-labeled mail. I used to live in an apartment complex, and mail without my apt # included always seemed to show up - and that was in a city, not a small town.

That said, if you're worried about it, a phone call is only going to take a couple minutes, and is probably worth the peace of mind. If it was me, I'd probably wait for it to arrive at the local PO, and then see if they attempt a delivery that day. If the tracking doesn't show anything happening a day after arrival at the local PO, then chances are they don't know what to do with it, and then you can call (or just show up there yourself) to straighten it out.

Thanks for the input!

I called them up... I asked if this is an issue and he asked my address and he's like "Yeah it's an issue.. there are a lot of apartments over there."  He ended up taking my tracking # down along with my last name and my apt # and said he was leaving a note for the carrier so hopefully when he comes across it at my complex he'll match it up.

Anyone shipping a record should be well aware of how careful the USPS handles these. It's up to the sender to do all that is reasonable to package the record to survive a trip through transit hell.

It was packaged just fine. Two cardboard inserts in a LP mailer. It looked like a 50 pound box was dropped on it. There is only so much a person can do to protect a record.

Thanks for the input!

I called them up... I asked if this is an issue and he asked my address and he's like "Yeah it's an issue.. there are a lot of apartments over there."  He ended up taking my tracking # down along with my last name and my apt # and said he was leaving a note for the carrier so hopefully when he comes across it at my complex he'll match it up.

When my wife was stuck in her country for a few months, we'd send each other post cards back and forth. She wasn't aware that you have to write the zip code in the US (in her country, the zip code can be inferred from the city and street, so it is optional). Most of the post cards arrived fine, but the last one made it all the to my sorting facility and was sent back all the way to her country marked "undeliverable as addressed."