So I was just offered a new job....

I know, I know. Pointless thread, but I'm just too happy that I want to let everyone know that I was offered a position at Lockheed Martin right down the road from where I live. For the past 8 years, I've been extremely unhappy working in retail and 8 months after graduating college, I've finally landed a great position at a great company. My reaction can be summed up with this video..

Wordd I've been working retail for 8 years too and I fucking hate it, 10 months from now I'm going to be a licensed Barber doing shaves and fades.

Gotta do something that makes you happy!

That's awesome. A good friend that I went to high school with became a barber and does amazing fades and shaves. He now works at one of the most popular barbershops in Chicago (Belmont Barbershop) and loves every day he goes into work. You'll probably love it too! Hah

Enjoy your role in the military/industrial complex.

;)

Oh I most certainly will. After dealing with assholes, the rudest people imaginable, holiday season, kids running around and screaming, people who don't do their job, etc., I feel like I will actually contribute to something meaningful.

sounds awesome! a lot of kids from my school intern there and they like it a lot.

what kind of work are you going to be doing?

Yeah it seems like a great place to work. I will be a documentation analyst.

Congratulations!

Not to hijack your thread, but the same thing just happened to me! I will be staying at the same company, but I am moving up one pay level. It's about a $1000 per month raise though, so I am beyond fucking excited. Only downside is that I will now be a corporate punching bag for a living.

I told myself if I made it into management I'd get my neck tattooed, thinking I'd never make it there. Less than a year later, here we are... Time to start brainstorming!

Congrats! I'm curious to see where I go after college, can't bounce forever lol

You know what's interesting about my situation... I'm actually going to school to be a teacher. Only have 6 classes left until obtaining a credential. However, if I complete my degree and take a job as an elementary teacher in California, I would TAKE A CUT IN PAY. How fucked is that? Hahaha

You know what's interesting about my situation... I'm actually going to school to be a teacher. Only have 6 classes left until obtaining a credential. However, if I complete my degree and take a job as an elementary teacher in California, I would TAKE A CUT IN PAY. How fucked is that? Hahaha

seeing as how I have no idea what you make, currently, I dont know if its fucked or not. 

seeing as how I have no idea what you make, currently, I dont know if its fucked or not.

The difference in annual pay between the job that I currently have (which requires no degree at all) and a starting salary for a primary education teacher in California is about $3,000.

The irony is that I took a job at this company to support myself while going to school. Started out at $8/hr which is minimum wage in Cali. It's just funny how things have worked out. Luckily my grandparent have funded my education so I can drop out with no student loans to worry about.

The difference in annual pay between the job that I currently have (which requires no degree at all) and a starting salary for a primary education teacher in California is about $3,000.

The irony is that I took a job at this company to support myself while going to school. Started out at $8/hr which is minimum wage in Cali. It's just funny how things have worked out. Luckily my grandparent have funded my education so I can drop out with no student loans to worry about.

so $1.50/hr is the difference between the two jobs... and honestly, you shouldnt be a teacher if you're worried about your salary being $3,000 less with no student loans.  seriously, thats insane.  I just pissed myself off reading and writing this. 

you realize the union protection/job security/annual salary increase would trump that $1.50/hr difference in two years?

Haha yes. You underestimate my intelligence, friend. You're missing the point but its fine. No reason to be pissed. Im thrilled!

Edit - oh and BTW, if I move up another level, which is highly likely in a year or two, I will be making more than district administrators. And I work for a Fortune 500 company with over 10,000 clients worldwide. Some of said clients are, themselves, Fortune 500 companies. Job security is no concern.

And fuck unions.

Haha yes. You underestimate my intelligence, friend. You're missing the point but its fine. No reason to be pissed. Im thrilled!

Edit - oh and BTW, if I move up another level, which is highly likely in a year or two, I will be making more than district administrators. And I work for a Fortune 500 company with over 10,000 clients worldwide. Some of said clients are, themselves, Fortune 500 companies. Job security is no concern.

And fuck unions.

fuck unions?  :rolleyes: if money is all that matters to you then im sure the world of educators wont miss you joining their ranks any time soon

Congrats! I'm curious to see where I go after college, can't bounce forever lol

It's tough man. After I graduated and hit the 6 month mark with no luck, I was starting to become disillusioned with school. And I will say that it's definitely hard to keep your head up when you don't get calls back/no offers/etc. So all I can say is that you can't give up looking for a job.

Thanks for all the congrats. I appreciate it. And congratulations to people who have also found jobs or have been promoted. Yay for all of us!