VC Cooperative Label Details,Buy in date announced

Guest admin1338560633

Guest Admin
Addresses for the records... I plan on moving soon so I have a question about this. Will addresses be on file from the time you buy a share, or does each release get an email that says "alright, where do we mail this one?"

I'm gonna go set an alarm so I don't forget about Friday at noon.

we will assume the address on file is current, but when you move, you just email us to update your address.

• Replies 472
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Admin
i really think that a list of possible albums should be made BEFORE friday. it would be very conducive to convincing people to spend 60 dollars on this.

we won't know any of the albums until the records are nominated and then voted upon. there will be between 110 and 210 people nominating and voting on possible releases. And there is a good chance that every record pressed may not end up being your favorite record, but if you don't have use for the record, I am certain the record will become great trade material. For the $60, you will get 2 to 4 records to start and possibly 10, 20, or 100 records for no additional cost. From the looks of the board, we will have a good mix of music tastes and who knows, you might even find a new band to love.

Guest Admin
I am still curious as to how once you buy a share, how do you get assigned to a board member.

I will just assign the share holders to the board members randomly.

Guest Admin
I for one am appalled that Virgil would not take into consideration that some of the members on the message board actually work real jobs that do not allow access to the internet during the typical 9-to-5.

We're not all 17 year old scenesters who spend mommy and daddy's money.

I just assumed that most people would be able to break away from work for 5 minutes to buy a share. Also, I find it very unlikely that we will sell 200 shares in one day. I would think that by the end of your work day, you can still buy a share.

If you are super nervous about it, you can on your lunch break run down to the kinkos or grab your laptop and steal an unsecured wireless network.

Guest Admin
I'm still curious where the money that is made after the initial $3000 goes? I've asked and have not been answered. Does it go into the label again?

I do understand that Virgil will get a percentage of it (well at least i hope he does for doing all the leg work). I'm curious to know how much?

Also:

I'm just curious because if this does roll out and everything goes smoothly, eventually the earnings will get into a bracket, that maybe shareholders can get shirts or something???? or if we get to a certain pressing, everyone gets free coozies or something.

the money made from the initial releases will be reinvested to press more records. Yes, we will make a little money but 90 percent of the money will go back into the label. I will provide statements so you can see where all the money goes. Plus you have to realize that there is a cost involved with shipping all of these records out to everyone. But definitely dont' rule out shirts and cozies!

Guest Admin
I still don't understand why a date was already picked when he still has preorders from September/October that have yet to be fulfilled.

the two things have nothing to do with each other. And we will have all records shipping out by the end of the month that people have been waiting for.

hey virgil, since youre online ive got one more question for you. from friday (04/11/08) , whats an estimated time frame until we have an actual product in our hands?

that would most likely depend on how quickly the group can come up with difinitive choices, get the licenses, and then 4-6 weeks for pressing.

Guest Admin

I just finished reading the entire thread and wanted to mention a few thoughts:

1. Just because records have been discussed on the few Cooperative label threads, that doesn't mean those records are the ones that will for surely get pressed. Between 110 and 210 (shareholders plus board members) will be nominating 3 releases and after the list of between 330 and 630 releases are posted for vote, you will then vote on 3 top choices. That leaves a lot of possibilities. Don't be afraid if you don't like many of the records discussed, your nominating and voting could help select the records you love. The idea behind the label is to help release records that have never been released before in a new, fun way.

2. Shares will go on sale in the store. Try not to buy other records with the purchase of the share as that might get weird.

3. The Board Members will be announce soon (tomorrow or thursday), I am sorry if some of you feel slighted for not being selected, but only 10 people were picked. There are so many great people on the board and big time supporters and I could not pick everyone. A side note about Ben, he was high on my list of choices, but I was afraid that there would be naysayers upset if he did promotions with the cooperative label releases and just wanted to avoid any possible conflicts.

4. Any money made on these records will go into pressing more records. I will be providing statements detailing where all the money goes, but realize that we will be shipping records at no additional cost to all of the shareholders and that coupled with the expenses to press the records will eat up a lot of the money brought in. I do expect to make a small amount for VC, but I don't think that is too much to ask because there will be a lot of work involved in the process.

5. Our plan is to press on 2 colors of a record and right now there are no plans for any splatters, only solid colors. But if we did plan on doing splatters, is that really reason to talk shit? If the point is to have records never before released on vinyl, who cares what color it is on.

I started this idea because I thought it would be a fun way to bridge the gap between consumer and label. I started Suburban Home and then Vinyl Collective because once I was exposed to independent music, I could not get enough and had to be involved in some way, shape, or form. I figured this project would be a low risk way for others to be involved. This is something that has never been tried before and to me that is exciting. With any new idea, there are bound to be naysayers. Who cares? If people want to complain about this project, it is your opinion which you are more than entitled to. I would appreciate any questions or criticisms to be addressed in a respectful manner. If all you want to do is talk shit about how we are going to put out quadruple LP box sets for Dance Gavin Dance on Splatter Splatter vinyl, those comments are not needed here.

For everyone else, thanks for your feedback and your interest. This is going to be cool.

Couple questions I have:

Is there going to be some kind of "heads-up" period before a voting period starts?

Also, would said voting period last a few days?

It would be nice to have a few days to ponder what releases I'd like to nominate/vote for and it's also possible that I might be on vacation or something where I can't get to a computer for a few days and would hate to miss out on a vote.

Couple questions I have:

Is there going to be some kind of "heads-up" period before a voting period starts?

It would be nice to have a few days to ponder what releases I'd like to nominate/vote for and it's also possible that I might be on vacation or something where I can't get to a computer for a few days and would hate to miss out on a vote.

From what i understood from virgils posts (correct me if im wrong)

each board member discusses with his "team" which releases they are interested in. during this process the 10/20 members nominate a handful of releases through whatever process.. maybe each member submits a couple albums, and then they narrow it down to a handful of choices which will then be presented to all the members to vote on. They'd probably be a couple days between the nominations and the vote. and then all 110/210 people vote on 3 choices from the list... and virgil attempts to license the top 2/4.. and if any of those fall through.. he works down the list until he gets 2/4 projects approved

Guest Admin
Couple questions I have:

yes, nominating and voting periods should last about a week each. Plus, there will be opportunities for board members and share holders to plead their case about particular releases.

One suggestion is to help save the company some shipping money, check to see if anyone on the 100/200 board buy the second color and ship them together. Even if only a hand full of members order the second it could still save the company a huge chunk of change and help create more presses down the line.