Got rid of Cable TV No regrets

what the fuck "tips" could you possibly need to not have cable?

you just don't want tv. it's not that hard. I mean, really, almost all tv sucks.

we don't have a tv in our house because we didn't want any rooms that were focused around a tv, and neither of us own a tv, and neither one really cared about it.

instead we have nice record players in 3 rooms, and bomb-ass record collections.

music > tv

you just don't want tv. it's not that hard. I mean, really, almost all tv sucks.

we don't have a tv in our house because we didn't want any rooms that were focused around a tv, and neither of us own a tv, and neither one really cared about it.

instead we have nice record players in 3 rooms, and bomb-ass record collections.

music > tv

boom.

music > tv

http://stuffwhitepeoplelike.com/2008/01/26/28-not-having-a-tv/

I already have netflix, could get mlb.tv for baseball games (is there an online service for football games? those are the only two sports I care about).

Just so you know beforehand, mlb.tv blacks out your local team's games. It doesn't let you watch them until the next day. So it can't replace cable in that regard.

www.atdhe.net is decent if you have no other options for seeing a game. No way I could watch sports regularly on that though. The quality generally is not that fantastic.

Sports is the only real reason to keep cable around.

music > tv

http://stuffwhitepeoplelike.com/2008/01/26/28-not-having-a-tv/

yeah I know, but I've never made a post on the internet about not having a tv. It's just fucking insane that someone would need tips going without cable. It's like when people ask for help going vegan. it's easy, you stop eating animal products.

i stopped watching cable 7 years ago. i'm not religious about not watching tv or anything, sometimes i'm in situations where one is just on. i never find myself home alone desperate to turn the tv on, i only watch a few programs and usually just do it online.

however, south park is a major exception to this.

yeah I know, but I've never made a post on the internet about not having a tv. It's just fucking insane that someone would need tips going without cable. It's like when people ask for help going vegan. it's easy, you stop eating animal products.

You are retarded. If someone went vegan and posted on here asking for tips on how to do it (taking a certain kind of soy protein or vitamin for example so you don't become unhealthy) what is wrong with that? You want me to change the title of the thread to "going without cable but still finding a way to watch a few of the tv shows I like and sporting events?" Sorry dude, that won't fit.

I've lived with out it and I'm planning on going back to it soon. Just waiting on the LG ST600 SmartTV Upgrader. They're are very similar to the Apple TV and Google TV but these are DLNA capable (meaning they can stream your media from an already existing PC/Mac to the box/HDTV). Plus they run Plex, which I'm already using on my MacBook pro. It'll be a perfect solution for my circumstance.

The only thing I'll miss is the sports in HD. I love my Steelers and Penguins games.

If it wasn't for hockey I would cancel cable in a second. I'd rather pay for Netflix and Hulu or something.

But I usually have people over for Pen's games and streaming them just isn't that reliable and the quality doesn't compare. I wish NHL's Gamecenter didn't blackout local. I'd pay whatever they wanted, because it'd still be cheaper than Comcast for an entire year.

I lived without cable for 3 years. I worked for me because I'd rather watch movies than tv and I have two HD tv's which with a decent antenna you can get better than cable HD programming on the major networks. The only reason I have cable now is that my DSL bill had been raised to the point where getting a package deal through TimeWarner was close enough to the same price.

this thread got me off my duff and tried to watch abc.com on my PS3, i can't get it to work. if i can't get that to work the chances are low that i'm going to get sports and other sites to work.

i was using atdhe.net earlier on mine, not all streams work, it depends on the plugin that the player uses, but if there multiple streams, one should most likely work

Sign up for and learn how to ues USENET. I pay 8.99 a month for 10GB of transfers through giganews, which gets me any and all television programs cable would have me watching. I also get the occasional movie through it. It's where all the torrent releases really originate. You'll need to get an account on an nzb index site, as well. Something like nzbmatrix.

if your only reason for having cable is hockey games or football games, then make friends with someone that likes hockey, or go to a bar. considerably cheaper than cable.

I have a lot of friends and I do go to their places or bars for games, but sometimes I host and my bar tabs aren't always the cheapest. Not to mention, sometimes it's nice just to sit at home and watch.

Just so you know beforehand, mlb.tv blacks out your local team's games. It doesn't let you watch them until the next day. So it can't replace cable in that regard.

I was about to post this. Luckily, I read the fine print before paying $120+ or whatever it was. I found a justin.tv stream where a guy did every mariners game in good quality for the first 4 innings, and the last 5 in ok quality, with the option of paying for an HD stream for $30 per season. Worth every penny.

I haven't had any form of real TV in years. Its probably been 4 by now. Piracy is your friend, though sporting events are still a pain in the ass no matter what. I recently got Netflix too, which is alright. I probably wont keep it for long though.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

So we became sick of the cable bill as many people are now a days. We did have to keep Comcast Cable though (Wii U, ps3, Xbox 360, Phones, Laptop) And it had to stay Comcast apparently when our sub was built in the mid/late 90's comcast paid to install the lines so they own them.

Also after a major runaround about getting their "gateway" modem, apparently you cant pick them up they have to be shipped. We decided to stop at Best Buy and buy our own for $75 to save the $25 shipping fee and $10 or so a month rental after taxes fees ect. So what $145 for the first year and $120 each year after.......

Our bill went to $160 something after taxes (Cable, HD Channels, DVR, 25MPS Cable, modem rental ect) We now pay $65 ish after taxes for the same 25mps internet + $8/mo for netflix and we dont miss it at all after a week.

So Netflix, Downloading , Blurays,streaming via our Panasonic TV and were good to go!

Anyone else join the fuck cable train?