Help me out on some CD storage.

Howdy.

So, I have a respectable CD collection that I like to play with as much as my records. I've been collecting CD's since I was 6 or 7 and I have a constant desire to organize/display them. Sold a bunch of 'em last year, but they're piling back up again. I am currently using 10 of these things stacked on top of each other:

tumblr_mokjceqigY1rabirgo1_250.png

With one of these spinning things on the side for other crap I don't have room for:

tumblr_mokjceqigY1rabirgo2_400.png

I have been constantly looking for one of those nicer looking bookcase-type storage shelf, but have no clue what to call it when looking on the web. After scrounging on the "Post Your Record Storage Area" thread I kept seeing the same shelves I was trying to find, something like this:

tumblr_mokjceqigY1rabirgo3_500.png

I just need a link to a place that might sell them, or maybe a correct name to call them so I can stand a better chance of nabbing one off eBay. Not really looking to buy from a member on here unless it's a much better deal than anywhere else, otherwise I'd have put this in the S/T/W section.

Thanks.

I have two of those that I bought from Meijer years ago. I'm sorry I don't recall the manufacturer, but they're awesome.

Fewer people buying media means fewer places selling media shelves...Craigslist might be a great place to look though, as there are bound to be some people trying to get rid of them as they move to put their dubsteps on their iPhones or whatever it is people do these days.

I have two of those that I bought from Meijer years ago. I'm sorry I don't recall the manufacturer, but they're awesome.

Fewer people buying media means fewer places selling media shelves...Craigslist might be a great place to look though, as there are bound to be some people trying to get rid of them as they move to put their dubsteps on their iPhones or whatever it is people do these days.

Sounds about right.

I came across one in one of my dad's friends living room. He said he got it at Big Lots years ago, but couldn't remember the manufacturer either. From the glimpse I caught of it, it looked a little like the shelves were just slightly not deep enough. Like less than a centimeter, but still enought for the case to hang over slightly. Is that true, or did I not look close enough?

CD jewel cases hang out just a teeny little bit, yes. Mine look exactly like the ones you posted, I just chose a different color. The backs are bowed out a bit because they've sat for years in my apartment where they aren't flush against the walls, so in the middle, they don't hang out at all.

They're really nice, though they're a constant reminder to me that I need to thin out a cd collection I've spent an absurd amount of money on since I was a kid.

I imagine these are probably sold under a dozen different brand names, now that I think about it. I searched on the Meijer website for "media shelf," but it's been 6-7 years since I bought them, so they probably don't even carry them anymore.

CD jewel cases hang out just a teeny little bit, yes. Mine look exactly like the ones you posted, I just chose a different color. The backs are bowed out a bit because they've sat for years in my apartment where they aren't flush against the walls, so in the middle, they don't hang out at all.

They're really nice, though they're a constant reminder to me that I need to thin out a cd collection I've spent an absurd amount of money on since I was a kid.

I imagine these are probably sold under a dozen different brand names, now that I think about it. I searched on the Meijer website for "media shelf," but it's been 6-7 years since I bought them, so they probably don't even carry them anymore.

Eh, not a big deal, might make 'em easier to pull out.

I'm guessing now that finding a new one will be impossible, but we have a nice Goodwill and a Stuff Etc. down here, and things like this are always showing up. Cragslist isn't a bad idea either. Thanks for the info.

I am trying to get rid of two cd racks of mine that have been kicking around my parent's basement since I put them in a custom built thing. (well, custom built for the record shop I got it from when they were getting rid of the whole unit and I just popped out the part the cds went into.)

Granted, this doesn't help unless you live in or around Dayton, OH. And they're probably not of the capacity you're looking for.

I put 'em on Craigslist for $10 for one or both.

If you don't care about having the complete packages, you could save the books/discs for wallets and just throw the jewel cases away or give them away on craigslist.

No can do. I'm absolutely obsessed with being able to hold the case/artwork. In a few situtations, I'd rather have the case than the disc itself, since all my CD's are ripped to my PC anyway.

• 2 months later...

Reviving this thread, 'cause it's mine, and I can do that.

Pretty sure I'm gonna go with this: http://www.amazon.com/Sauder-Multimedia-Storage-Cinnamon-Cherry/dp/B002RRH23W

I read that it's cheap, but it works. Talk me out of it if it's a complete waste of time.

I have 2 of those used them for years. they're cheap but do the job. Over time, the shelves will start to bend due to the weight, I flip them upside down every so often. the other nice thing is that it's footprint isn't that big so they aren't that obtrusive. 

I'm in need of a third one. if you want them to match, buy a couple at the same time. It seems each time I buy one, I have to get a different finish because they've discontinued the prior.