Help me makes sure im not crazy for feeling discriminated against.

ill try to keep this as short as possible. 

three weeks ago i contacted the city of Austin to make sure I was able to use my out of state handicapped placard even though I had texas plates. I was told as long as the placard itself was still valid i was all set and it was completely legal. Since mine doesnt expire until next year, i was all set.

Fast forward to last wednesday(?) i come out of the tigers jaw show to a $511 ticket on my car for parking in a handicapped zone. thinking it fell from my mirror, get in my car, and there it is... hanging from my mirror. the next morning I call Austin Municipal Court, and the woman couldn't have been any nicer. She tells me to bring in my ID and out of state placard to the court house and everything will be sorted out and the fine will be dropped.

I go to the court house this morning, with everything she told me to bring, INCLUDING proof that the federal government views me as permanently disabled, the registration to my car, AND the title. this woman at the counter was condescending and rude. I explain my situation and the first words out of her mouth are "Well we don't have any proof that you are disabled or the placard belongs to you" not only do i tell her the paperwork will prove all of that but all she has to do is look at me, im missing both of my legs and part of my left hand... I was wearing shorts and a t-shirt.

during this whole ordeal, she doesn't ONCE look at the papers i was trying to give her, and continues to say she doesn't have any proof. i explain to her about 5 times that the paperwork will prove everything...she then says "well, thats not enough" (still not even touching the tangible proof) and i calmly stated, "well, what elese do you need? I can have it within the hour." she doesnt answer and says "you can pay the fine, or raise it to admission that you are being accused of a criminal offense and set a court date." I refuse both. she then goes, "well then we will have you arrested." I have no criminal record, and ONE speeding ticket from when I was like 17 from the state of NH, that was paid. jail is not a place for me, so i agree to the court date. at this point i am furious, I call a bunch of organizations in TX to find out what was up. according to them, that woman should have dropped everything with all the documentation I had. so needless to say, im feeling beat down and less than human. someone help me and tell me that im not crazy for being angry about this whole thing.

yup.... she "wasn't available"

next time firmly tell her you will wait. It doesn't sound like you were in the wrong at all and this bitch is just a cunt with a powertrip.

if i were you i would go back in and talk to her supervisor. that kind of behavior is absolutely unacceptable.

Yeah, I would definitely go back and wait for the supervisor. If she acts difficult, just ask another employee or, even better, make a huge fucking scene.

Also, always remember that if the supervisor is "not available" to ask for their name and contact number (employee and supervisor).

next time firmly tell her you will wait. It doesn't sound like you were in the wrong at all and this bitch is just a cunt with a powertrip.

if i were you i would go back in and talk to her supervisor. that kind of behavior is absolutely unacceptable.

ill call tomorrow, and then go in. im so bummed out on a million different levels. the ticket, the way i was treated, and how this could have been painlessly resolved but now its been extended. 

Damn. Here I am in FL, having read this and I'm infuriated. Shit like this should never happen to anyone. Especially someone with special needs and a legit handicap. 

Yes, you have every right to be upset and angry and straight-up pissed. I'd go back and demand to speak to someone higher up in the chain and not only voice your complaint but also demand an apology. If that doesn't work, I'd consult an attorney or even take it to the local media. Usually news stations will carry on something as major as that. 

Yeah, I would definitely go back and wait for the supervisor. If she acts difficult, just ask another employee or, even better, make a huge fucking scene.

Also, always remember that if the supervisor is "not available" to ask for their name and contact number (employee and supervisor).

I learned very early on that causing a scene doesn't get you a damn thing. as much as I would LOVE to, i know I wont. 

You shouldn't have to be upset & feel demoralized. The ticket was probably a honest mistake that like you said could have been easily resolved granted all your paperwork and proof, hell sounds like just taking a look at you should be proof enough.

Talk to her supervisor & demand for her to be reprimanded because the way she treated you is unacceptable.

You could probably sue, walk away with a nice settlement. You should at least talk to a lawyer and soon. Without getting into detail I got arrested for some bullshit that really wasn't my fault (at a show) and they tried to charge me with some crazy shit. I would have had to go to jail, but I hired a lawyer who got all the charges dropped within 5 minutes of being in the courtroom. The system will try and fuck you anyway they can. Cops would rather be passive-aggressive and leave a ticket on someone's car than try and stop real dangerous criminals from hurting innocent people, and the courts will always take their side over a civilian's. You literally did nothing wrong and you are being discriminated against. You should get a professional on your side and fight back.

Cops would rather be passive-aggressive and leave a ticket on someone's car than try and stop real dangerous criminals from hurting innocent people...

Uh, there are traffic laws that mandate ticketing vehicles that are in violation of said laws. Obviously the OP was not guilty of anything, but I fail to see how cops leaving tickets on a car is passive-aggressive and not their job.

Oh yeah...ACAB or something.

Two words: LOCAL NEWS.

casey, my man. I have friends that work for our local station. So basically they said if the case doesn't get dropped before the court date, they will be all over this for me. And I've talked to someone at the ACLU....lets just say they are fucking drooling over this already.