PO: Balance And Composure - The Things We Think We're Missing

in the past I’ve gotten haze variants that come out of the sleeve feeling like sand is on the record. this one wasn’t like that at all, but wondering if it has something to do with the haze.

in the past I’ve gotten haze variants that come out of the sleeve feeling like sand is on the record. this one wasn’t like that at all, but wondering if it has something to do with the haze.

The haze with sand all over it usually comes records from Pirates Press (pressed at GZ in the Czech Republic.) This haze was pressed by a US plant (Rainbo in California maybe?) so there no dust in the jacket from that process. Those records have different method of production.

If they tried to squeeze this all on one LP they should have used Pirates Press....

I'm spinning my haze for the first time right now. Incredible record, definitely glad I didn't listen to the leak. The packaging is amazing, even the inner pocket of the jacket is coloured, which I've never seen before. As for the surface noise issue, from reading the comments I was expecting it to be worse, but mine's only scratchy during the quieter riffs. Overall, I'm super stoked to finally own this.

The thing is, the "sound quality" hasn't decreased. Aside from the vinyl sounding dirty, everything else sounds great. No distortion or anything on the inner tracks.

? the quality has definitely decreased haha. If it sounds "dirty" the sound quality is decreased. I don't get your thinking on this one.

? the quality has definitely decreased haha. If it sounds "dirty" the sound quality is decreased. I don't get your thinking on this one.

Sound quality is in quotations because he's referring to the quality of the master/cut.

Obviously if you spill a can of beer on a record the sound quality is affected but that has nothing to do with the album length being too long.

the below is from Pirates Press it might shed some light on to what MAY be going on with this record, who knows:

One of the most important things that some people don’t understand is that the

loudness of the vinyl is not dictated by the loudness of your master. Having a louder

master doesn’t necessarily mean that your record will be louder, in some cases a loud

master will mean that there is a greater chance that your record will be distorted or

that the studio technicians will have to adjust the sound to be able to cut the record.

The loudness of the record is decided upon by taking into consideration a few important

factors:

The length of each side – if the tracks or the whole side is longer than we

recommend then the only way to fit all of that music on one side is to DECREASE

the volume. The shorter the side the more chance there is that we can increase

the volume. However, a short side again does not necessarily mean that the

record will be loud, there are more factors that effect the loudness

The style of music – if the music involves strong bass, high vocals, loud guitars or

drums, then again they engineer has to somehow compromise. In most cases he

will lower the volume of the record to accommodate the loud or strong sounds,

or he may have to filter away some of the sounds so that the excess signals do

now ruin the cut. If there are a lot of generated effects as well this could also

effect how they can cut the record (ie effect pedals, sound effect generators,

unnatural sounds, pure electronic sounds).

The format of the record – the smaller the record the less amount of music you

can fit on it. I know that sounds very logical, but it has to be taken into

consideration if you intend to have a loud record or good definition of the music.

If you are worried that the tracks will be too quiet then maybe think about using

a larger format.

That quote being from Pirates Press doesnt matter since it's just general LP mastering information.

Also, I thought the volume and master of the record were perfectly fine. It didn't sound like it was cut too quiet or anything. In fact, I thought the master sounded pretty good!

That quote being from Pirates Press doesnt matter since it's just general LP mastering information.

Also, I thought the volume and master of the record were perfectly fine. It didn't sound like it was cut too quiet or anything. In fact, I thought the master sounded really, really good.

Im not sure of the material or anything used during pressing but could the surface noise be from the type of vinyl used or the colors added?

Im not sure of the material or anything used during pressing but could the surface noise be from the type of vinyl used or the colors added?

I don't know much about this but that's been what I've been thinking. Kinda like how using certain white vinyl can cause more surface noise than other white vinyl, maybe something similar has caused this.