PO: CHVRCHES - The Bones Of What You Believe

It's legit. They just do it to create a buzz or reward fans who collect and certainly to reward independent stores.

They call it a bootleg version because the look of the packaging is supposed to be like a barebones bootleg.

I got the Jason Isbell "bootleg edition" it's a brown sleeve with a spraypainted stencil of the album title and his name. It's nothing fancy just unique. E record is the exact same as the retail version. But these "bootleg" editions are legit.

Guest crazybeats

This is what I don't like about these promos. There is no use saying, go to your local independant store because the reality is most independants wont even know those exist and it's a shame because there is plenty of people willing to pay money for it. The fact that it is numbered is just another case of people wanting it as a collectable and not actually listen to it.

This is what vinyl is nowadays to consumers. Just something to hang on the wall or keep locked away. At least back in 2007 record labels would have churned 1000 copies of this out as a promo for DJS and you woulda got it dirt cheap. Now even the promos are unofficial and numbered and so it's no longer about music, it's about how collectable it is.

I see it more as a fun promotion of the album and a way to drive traffic to record stores. It's the people who flip their shit about it being rare that makes record collecting so unbearable. Sure the label feeds into it, but really it's the consumers who are to blame.

I don't see how stores wouldn't know about this seeing a as it's coming from distributors. It was probably their choice to order it or not.

At the end of the day, it's the same version that's coming out next week. I bet you can get this at slightly more than a retail version in a couple of months.

I'm a sucker for these bootleg editions lately. Unfortunately I live an hour and half away from any record stores. Does anybody have an extra at one of there local spots they'd be willing to pick up or if someone could point me in the right direction of an online distributor.