Linked-In

Does anyone really use this? I get requests weekly but most of the time I don't actually know these people. It's just professionals in my field that I might or might not have had email contact with at some point. Is it like networking with Facebook features?

Has anyone made job connections using Linked-In?

I get requests all the time and I am highly skeptical people are actually using it.  From my perspective, I think people see it as a box to check off as far as keeping up with everyone else, professionally.  "I have a Linked-In profile? Check. I'm requesting for others to network with me? Check."  Not sure how much people actually use it beyond that.

I had to make it for school but I"m not a fan.

I really hate the endorsement thing.  Oh, you have 30 endorsements for Social Media?  You must be really talented!  And wow, you just graduated college but you have 25 endorsements for Research?????!  Congrats! you know how to google!

/

It's used by professionals and is increasing in use every year. Most jobs are still found through networking but I've got a few job offers from it. The secret is to have a complete and professional page or not at all. It's basically your resume and you wouldn't want to fill out half of your experience and forget the rest, would you? It never hurts to have a larger network of people but only people who you are interested in working with or know.

my boss (development director) uses it regularly to keep in touch with alumni.

it hasn't done me much good yet, and i had to hide my endorsements because the kids i went to college with think it is a good thing to endorse people for "social media" and "blogging." seriously, people? can you possibly make me look less professional? but at least linkedin had the frame of mind to let people hide endorsements.