Stoner/ Doom Metal Discussion Thread

yeah i'm digging these guys. i like the fact that alot of the songs are around 2 minutes long. my biggest gripe about this genre is that some of the songs seem too long or just have alot of unnecessary fill musically.

Isn't long songs filled with heavy riffs what this genre is about? Lightsabres sounds more like a garage band who also like stoner doom. I would picture them opening up for a Goner band rather than someone like Monolord.

Isn't long songs filled with heavy riffs what this genre is about? Lightsabres sounds more like a garage band who also like stoner doom. I would picture them opening up for a Goner band rather than someone like Monolord.

I would agree with that. They straddle the line. They also have a black metal looking band logo so they are all over the place.

This whole genre is still really new to me. Dont get me wrong, i love me some heavy riffs but sometimes it seems like it takes forever for a song to get going. Its not necessarily heavy, more ambient I guess. Just a big turnoff for me. I really have to be in the mood for it.

Coming from a guy who listened to punk and heavy metal pretty much all his life im slowly buying in thiugh.

Not sure if this was posted before, but another band you guys may want to check out is Ecstatic Vision. Philadelphia band similar to Hawkwind and Farflung. I have the blue-orange merge copy which is a sweet looking piece of vinyl. I'll try to remember to post a picture of it after work. 

I figure The Machine will end up on vinyl... dig them a ton and may have to break down for cd or MP3.

Ive had the Estatic Visions lp in my cart a couple times but haven't pulled the trigger.  I'll probably wait on it until Relapse runs one of their sales; although I would love to see an actual picture of the orange/blue mix as the mockup looks cool.