Stoner/ Doom Metal Discussion Thread

22 hours ago, lexicondevil said:

Yeah, that sucks. I also hate ordering from overseas because of postage costs and many times when I order records from Europe they are poorly packed. It does seem to be getting better. Rise Above definitely packs records for safety. I wonder if Roadburn will get some of them, so the postage is cheaper for you?

Yeah man, thanks for looking out. I actually found out that Kozmik Artifactz has copies as well so I'll be ordering from them instead.

On 6/1/2016 at 9:30 AM, The Ghost of Randy Savage said:

Can't believe I'm still contemplating actually getting this Goya...it's just going to sit there after getting listened to once, but keeping that 12" collection going is temptingggggg

1 hour ago, Santa Bateman said:

Don't

Do

Itttt

I'm feeling price fatigue again, especially with their stuff. It's making me not wanna buy their records anymore.

I think I've also just gotten to a point where I have almost every "essential" album I've wanted from the past, plus a bunch of shit I don't really need or listen to that often.

A lot of the fun has gone out of this hobby for me at this point, and it doesn't help that this forum has been really wearing on me lately (not this thread obviously).

I'm definitely holding on to my essentials, but there may be a great purge coming. I want some money for other stuff.

1 hour ago, The Ghost of Randy Savage said:

I think I've also just gotten to a point where I have almost every "essential" album I've wanted from the past, plus a bunch of shit I don't really need or listen to that often.

A lot of the fun has gone out of this hobby for me at this point, and it doesn't help that this forum has been really wearing on me lately (not this thread obviously).

I'm definitely holding on to my essentials, but there may be a great purge coming. I want some money for other stuff.

I KNOW what you mean about buying things in fear of missing out. It's usually a pointless endeavor and I'm also trying to break that cycle. There have been instances that I bought something at original price and was so happy later, but I'd guess that is far outweighed by records that I don't necessarily need and can't recoup the money I spent on them. I'd probably save money if I never bought any PO's and waited a year to buy it on discogs/ebay. I'd have a leaner collection, the best of the best.

13 minutes ago, Mars said:

Agree w you both - feels like I've bought a bunch of stuff lately Bc I didn't want to miss it - which is even more costly in Canada with the conversion and pricey shipping.  If I have buyers remorse, it's even tougher to just get my money back on some stuff.

Edit: might be worth it to not post for a while - good post count.

edit: damnit I quoted myself instead of editing, and I can't delete.  Epic fail :/

Edited by Mars

4 hours ago, lexicondevil said:

I KNOW what you mean about buying things in fear of missing out. It's usually a pointless endeavor and I'm also trying to break that cycle. There have been instances that I bought something at original price and was so happy later, but I'd guess that is far outweighed by records that I don't necessarily need and can't recoup the money I spent on them. I'd probably save money if I never bought any PO's and waited a year to buy it on discogs/ebay. I'd have a leaner collection, the best of the best.

Fact. It's that feeling of "Oh shit! I better grab this in case I really, really want it later on, but it's going to cost an arm and a leg," vs...having more money for stuff I actually do really want right now. I need to get down to a more manageable amount of records anyway. It's at a point where I get to listen to them once or twice a week, and when I do I'm usually trying to get through the backlog of new stuff, so I'm not going back and listening to stuff I know and love.

Add to that the fact that there are a ton of decent, but very "samey" doom bands...It might just be time for a break. I really should go through and pick out my 20-50 favorite records from each genre and really pare down soon though.

Just interested, what number do your collections reach for you to play with such ideas? Asking because I'll be soon at 300 for 12" and been having those very same thoughts of purging lately.

Sometimes I truly go nuts with vinyl and it hasn't really calmed down as of late. Of course, artists I love constantly keep releasing new music so it's easy to justify spending most money on vinyl (for the love of music, support etc.) but the question that still arises from time to time - do I really need it or is it just the collectionist impulse? I just don't want to see myself ending up with a room full of LPs and not much other experience in life. Gotta keep it even somehow just difficult to find that balance.

Edited by JoshuaNilk

31 minutes ago, JoshuaNilk said:

Just interested, what number do your collections reach for you to play with such ideas? Asking because I'll be soon at 300 for 12" and been having those very same thoughts of purging lately.

Sometimes I truly go nuts with vinyl and it hasn't really calmed down as of late. Of course, artists I love constantly keep releasing new music so it's easy to justify spending most money on vinyl (for the love of music, support etc.) but the question that still arises from time to time - do I really need it or is it just the collectionist impulse? I just don't want to see myself ending up with a room full of LPs and not much other experience in life. Gotta keep it even somehow just difficult to find that balance.

I'm ~1,000 LP/2xLPs at this point, plus a bunch of 7" I'd love to get rid of since I never listen to them.

Edit: I have been collecting on and off for about 12 years though.

Edited by The Ghost of Randy Savage

34 minutes ago, JoshuaNilk said:

Collecting for 30 years. I've been up to 2.5k records, but it's closer to 2k now. Can confirm it has consumed my living room. Some days, I'll have 4-5 packages show up and I just throw them on the pile. I always get around to listening to everything, but many times, it's just one and done.