Stoner/ Doom Metal Discussion Thread

4 hours ago, spudboy said:

If you could hook me up with a mission patch I would be enternaly grateful!

got you! i am hoping one is happening , i know the normal rule for a mission patch is 4 or 5 dates or more.

I was talking with the Merch lady in Pittsburgh and she said they had a few ideas but nothing set in stone as psycho exclusive goes

2 hours ago, buffalo716tapes said:

got you! i am hoping one is happening , i know the normal rule for a mission patch is 4 or 5 dates or more.

I was talking with the Merch lady in Pittsburgh and she said they had a few ideas but nothing set in stone as psycho exclusive goes

Yeah, if possible I'd love one too. I bet they're going to be tough to come by so I didn't want to ask before. If you're able to snag an extra for me I'd be super thankful :)

5 minutes ago, Freki said:

Show-wise as well. I've got nothing between Red Fang last May and then Melvins/Helms Alee coming in August. That's crazy.

I think this is the first time period where i have more non metal shows than metal shows coming up that im going to. After Sleep last week i cant think of another one ill be going to except maybe the melvins? 

41 minutes ago, The Ghost of Randy Savage said:

Yeah, if possible I'd love one too. I bet they're going to be tough to come by so I didn't want to ask before. If you're able to snag an extra for me I'd be super thankful :)

i figured mission patches would be the big want! So i will get what i can and update yall with how many i was able to get. normally are 10-15 depending on the size!

if i am able to get some gonna go in the order people asked! and just cover shipping plus cost of patch! ( so 12-17 ! )

45 minutes ago, buffalo716tapes said:

i figured mission patches would be the big want! So i will get what i can and update yall with how many i was able to get. normally are 10-15 depending on the size!

if i am able to get some gonna go in the order people asked! and just cover shipping plus cost of patch! ( so 12-17 ! )

Shit,

If you can get another I'd be so down for a mission patch.

49 minutes ago, buffalo716tapes said:

Awesome! Thanks, dude :)

2 hours ago, Twistedshabazz said:

I think this is the first time period where i have more non metal shows than metal shows coming up that im going to. After Sleep last week i cant think of another one ill be going to except maybe the melvins? 

I don't have any coming up until September. It's going to be a good month though. I'm seeing Monolord, Black Sabbath, and Uncle Acid.

2 hours ago, Twistedshabazz said:

I don't have any coming up until September. It's going to be a good month though. I'm seeing Monolord, Black Sabbath, and Uncle Acid.

Gotta be honest. As much as I love Steve and STB Records...I've been really bummed with the releases lately. I haven't bought anything since....What, Ancient Warlocks II? I may be the only one. I dig Witchskull a little bit, but I don't know if I'm into it enough to actually grab one.

1 hour ago, The Ghost of Randy Savage said:

Gotta be honest. As much as I love Steve and STB Records...I've been really bummed with the releases lately. I haven't bought anything since....What, Ancient Warlocks II? I may be the only one. I dig Witchskull a little bit, but I don't know if I'm into it enough to actually grab one.

I think the scene is a bit oversaturated in general. A lot of it is starting to sound the same.

10 hours ago, 74R said:

I think the scene is a bit oversaturated in general. A lot of it is starting to sound the same.

I also agree. I have had to think a little harder about whether I need a new stoner/doom release. A lot of what is coming out is hack/boring stuff.

12 hours ago, The Ghost of Randy Savage said:

Yep.Some bands I'm listening to make me wonder how the hell it got released AND why are all these people paying so much to get it? I think it's a lot of people speculating on rising values, instead of actually enjoying the music they are buying. I''m not judging anyone who just buys a copy to resell later, I don't spend my time worrying about that, it just seems like it gives a false sense of appreciation. Someday people are going to say no, which means these small labels will fold.

There are some releases that I have bought in the past that I regret. This one by Holy Grove is not one of them. Pretty solid release. I think All That Is Heavy still has the limited colored edition. 

15 hours ago, The Ghost of Randy Savage said:

Agreed. There was a long time where I was constantly finding new bands I enjoyed, but yeah, everything either sounds the same, or awful lately.

4 hours ago, lexicondevil said:

I also agree. I have had to think a little harder about whether I need a new stoner/doom release. A lot of what is coming out is hack/boring stuff.

Yeah. 4 out of 5 new bands in this genre I check out immediately make me think "this is really unnecessary" and/or just make me want to listen to previous bands who did exactly what they're doing but better.

9 hours ago, The Ghost of Randy Savage said:

I actually don't hate this band and it seems like they don't have vinyl, so I don't feel tempted to spend a bunch of money on it!:

https://wizzerd.bandcamp.com/

Other than their cliched name, they're pretty good. Vocalist reminds me of Dave Wyndorf a bit which is a good thing IMO. I love that man.

And now it's time for the new Swans record...

On ‎5‎/‎06‎/‎2016 at 9:02 AM, fitterhappier said:

New SubRosa album, "For This We Fought The Battle Of Ages", coming out this summer via Profound Lore

I am psyched

On ‎6‎/‎06‎/‎2016 at 10:28 AM, Youinreverse said:

I'm so excited for this. It's probably my most anticipated album of the year. I'm seeing them again in a couple weeks and I'm hoping I'll get to hear a few new songs.

Was just looking for some info on this and stumbled into this thread :) Profound lore said early July for preorders I am currently checking multiple times per day...

On ‎6‎/‎06‎/‎2016 at 2:04 PM, 74R said:

I don't dislike SubRosa but they sound like doom music for LARPers to me. RENFAIRE FTW!

not sure what this means, what is a LARPer? lol

38 minutes ago, 2notepockets said:

Was just looking for some info on this and stumbled into this thread :) Profound lore said early July for preorders I am currently checking multiple times per day...

not sure what this means, what is a LARPer? lol

Live Action Role Player (imagine D&D but with people acting out the roles instead of tabletop).

On 30.6.2016 at 9:11 PM, Youinreverse said:

I'm fucking seeing Sabbath tonight! Hard to fathom really.

Planning on seeing Monolord and Conan come October, playing the same bill. Feel so lucky that they're both playing so close. Only have to travel over one gulf!

On 30.6.2016 at 8:12 PM, elsanto said:

This is a great list...thanks

Great list indeed. Slomatics rule. As far I am not caught up at all. Still need to buy a copy of Cough's newest. For some reason I really don't want to listen to it before I have the LP in hand.

Relatedly, weird thing is I just randomly stumbled upon a /100 variant of the Suma/Unearthly Trance MK Ultra split in a small vintage shop over here. It seems to sell for no less than 60$ on Discogs so for 30$ I had to snag it even though I haven't heard it. It probably slays too.

On 1.7.2016 at 7:26 PM, lexicondevil said:

There are some releases that I have bought in the past that I regret. This one by Holy Grove is not one of them. Pretty solid release. I think All That Is Heavy still has the limited colored edition. 

YES ! Had the chance to review this and it's definitely favourite releases of the year so far. Andrea Vidal has some insane pipes. Can definitely hold her own against Ms. Cottrell.

On 3.7.2016 at 5:49 PM, 74R said:

And now it's time for the new Swans record...

Just received the LP in hand. Sad thing is I probably won't find the time to spin it until perhaps in a week. I keep buying stuff and abstaining from listening to have the vinyl and the anticipation is killer!

Edited by JoshuaNilk