The Beatles - White Album XONE.HUNDRED /450

if that's true...

dammit.

It's not.... just a bad joke for everyone freaking out about the flipability of their sooper limited edition /800 record :wacko:

The guy should have cancelled everyone's orders that bought more than 1.

I have not had a chance to listen to it since I worked 2 graveyard shifts this week and need to catch up on sleep bad

we all could go in threads and say why waste money on your stupid records, right? but we dont.

It's the internet. People do it all the time. I am secure enough in my tastes that I don't give a shit when someone knocks something I like. I also sometimes will go into a thread and ask what the appeal is because I honestly think I may be missing something.

In this case, I was as confused as the next guy. But after thinking about how the white album is my favorite beatles record and the packaging/concept is enough to hold my interest, I bought. That guy could be totally right and this will be the dumbest thing I buy this year, but I figure I'll give it a shot. That being said, I hope I'm pleasantly surprised.

but everytime I see someone complain about their tastes being "shat" on, I really don't see how their complaints are less annoying.

I've been on the boards long enough to know that it doesn't really matter. People like what they like. Just a bummer when people are close minded to better stuff.

this is the first time since ive joined that i actually mentioned anything relative some ass coming into a thread, making no point but to flame.

i dont see you mentioning this on any other thread that gets sidetracked about the same thing.

i tend to stay away from that shit, and i do. yesterday i didnt. it happens. i didnt think i was being unreasonable, or childish about it.

doesnt mean 'im not secure enough" (really LOL)

i guess i should have just been more clear and said thread..instead of music taste...as that was my intention.

im ending it here. i dont dwell, harbor or feel the need to keep going...as you dont see me argue much or if at all.

whoa abovetheearth, i wasn't trying to argue with you. it's alright. my last comments were definitely more general and not meant to cut anyone specific down.

toast.gif

hope we're cool!

and wildflange- you definitely are misinformed on what a high horse is or you'd be calling yourself out!

deadhorse.gif

I'm not  flaming anyone. I was just stating my opinion on the thing. I gave it a listen and for the life of my i can't see why someone would want to listen to that thing more than once. I couldn't get through 5 minutes of it, it just sounded like someone recorded some really scratched up records on a cheap pocket recorder. Personally I didn't find anything appealing about it and am shocked so many people would buy such a thing.

The upside for those of you who bought it is that it has the possibility of becoming a collectors item once word gets out to "the man" that some guy basically bootlegged the white album.

I'm not  flaming anyone. I was just stating my opinion on the thing. I gave it a listen and for the life of my i can't see why someone would want to listen to that thing more than once. I couldn't get through 5 minutes of it, it just sounded like someone recorded some really scratched up records on a cheap pocket recorder. Personally I didn't find anything appealing about it and am shocked so many people would buy such a thing.

The upside for those of you who bought it is that it has the possibility of becoming a collectors item once word gets out to "the man" that some guy basically bootlegged the white album.

I guarantee people on this board probably own so much vinyl that a large percentage of their collection is only listened to once or twice in a lifetime.

you guys seem to miss out on one of the major aspects of purchasing art... and that is supporting the artist who is doing it, allowing them to create more things in the future. This is a cool project, I listened to the stream and really loved it, so I bought the record.. odds are i'll only spin it a few times.. but otherwise i'd just drop the 20 bones on some other dumb shit.. so it doesn't really matter in the long run.

you guys seem to miss out on one of the major aspects of purchasing art... and that is supporting the artist who is doing it, allowing them to create more things in the future.

I bought this, but I think you're wrong. Taking a record and collecting them is not art. Drawing on your jacket 40 years ago could be considered art, but the person that bought it and shows it off is not an 'artist'. This guy is merely finding art in something that wasn't meant to be, or perhaps letting chance manipulate someone elses art. (the chance being the random records that are recorded). I don't feel great about supporting someone who basically bootlegged the white album, but am interested in the history of this record and seeing so much individual history in the jackets and what has happened to the collective of the records over the time is intriguing. but don't call this guy an artist. if anything, he is an art collector and is trying to pass off something others made as his art.

/soapbox

Maybe what you said is true, but dude had to think this up, and then execute, so he should get his credit. Is he an artist? Does anyone even care? Just enjoy (or don't) what he has put into the world.

Is he a musician? Is he a producer? Is he a vinyl collector? Is he an artist? Is he a curator? Is he a bootlegger? 

Whatever he is, Rutherford Chang must feel successful in the sense he is at least getting people to talk about the "realness" of something.

Personally I don't care what he is. I'm mainly on this thread because of what he's done. So does doing something make you someone or something? Who knows, I'm just stoked that this record is on it's way to my place and I'll be hearing 1/8th of his collection on my one turntable. (Did I do that correct math?)

Anyways, happy Friday guys!

Well, ignoring the fact that this is one of the best records in music history made by the best band ever walked this planet, the soundscape/atmospheric-shit starting at some point is better than 80% of the drone/atmosphere-shit people on this board are listening :D

Nevertheless, it sounds horrible...

Relativism sure is a fun subject.

thank god rutherford chang came along to get people talking about the beatles!

THEY are forgotten artists and i'm glad someone is keeping them relevant!

Well, looking at this project as something more than just Beatles worship, I think it is interesting to look at it from a different cultural perspective. Rutherford Chang's previous works all deals with reinterpreting Chinese and American/European culture, sometimes including how each informs the other. This link makes me think of the integration of a Chinese background into a Euro-centric culture. It can be difficult to hold an identity. In this case, I see the White Album representing a pinnacle of Euro-centric culture. Wanting to fit into the Euro-centric world, I'd imagine some people searching for such an identity or integration may cling to highly lauded pop culture items like the White Album. Adding multi-generation into Chinese-American culture, I could see someone of that background holding an especially strong connection to the White Album as it has been passed down, and thus the history contained in each individual album.

I could be reading into it completely wrong, but that's why I'm an illustrator and not an art historian, critic, or fine artist.

That being said, I have no personal desire to own this album. It took me a while to warm up to the idea of the work in general.