The sound of Against Me...

I recently picked up Against Me - RAR (due to the overwhelming number of posts on this board.) I was previously unfamiliar with them. I did notice that the style of the songs were different from side 1 to side 2.

So, my question is, do the subsequent albums by AM, more closely resemble the style of side 1 or side 2 or neither?

Flood is an AM! expert.

However, my advice would be to go for the full-lengths in order first...grab As The Eternal Cowboy, then Seraching For A Former Clarity and then New Wave. You'll get a really nice idea of their sound and how they've matured. Personally, I find the 7"s less accessible. They're still good, but if you're just getting into them at this point in the game the 7"s could be a turn off, especially Crime and the Acoustic 7".

That said Cowboy is my favorite AM! album.

Disco Before The Breakdown and then As The Eternal Cowboy shows a cool progression.

New Wave is a solid album, in my opinion. I think I'm just not a big fan of the production. The previous albums sound more passionate. I don't know if I should blame Butch Vig or not, but that's the same problem I have with Nirvana "Nevermind"....great album, but it sounds too clean. Some bands weren't meant to have their sound cleaned up to sound like something that'll fit on the radio.

Guest falloutcollapse

Crime, Acoustic, and RAR are my favorite punk-ish albums.

Searching and New Wave are some of my favorite rock albums.

I don't like Cowboy.

New Wave isn't bad. I'd rank Clarity as their lowest mark, but I find that I only dislike it as an album. As individual songs (ie when someone plays a track here or there on their computer) I like (most of) them. But The album as an album is weak as hell.

I like the transitional "story" the songs all can be interpreted tell together. Lyrically, it's some of my favorite stuff of theirs. (Here's a couple people's interpretations from the nofxwiki (1)(2).)

The only track I don't like on the album is "From Her Lips", and that's only because I feel it doesn't belong on the album.

New Wave isn't bad. I'd rank Clarity as their lowest mark, but I find that I only dislike it as an album. As individual songs (ie when someone plays a track here or there on their computer) I like (most of) them. But The album as an album is weak as hell.

I like the transitional "story" the songs all can be interpreted tell together. Lyrically, it's some of my favorite stuff of theirs. (Here's a couple people's interpretations from the nofxwiki (1)(2).)

The only track I don't like on the album is "From Her Lips", and that's only because I feel it doesn't belong on the album.

I always thought it could be a concept album...loosely, anyway. Those were some interesting ideas.