Seriously...I complain a lot.

I'm not new to the internet. I've posted on several sites for a long time (garnering both new friends and long distance enemies). I feel too much is taken too seriously by too many people. I make dumb jokes that maybe 10 people like. I don't normally get taken down by internet negativity.

That said I just can't help but feel bummed out by bullshit that has taken place on this board lately. I know the VC collective label started some of it but it just seems that recently the board has been over run by trolls and people looking to do nothing more than start shit (continously). Perhaps that's the very nature of messageboards. You can't keep something in your pocket forever (at least not anything good). Still I'd like to keep this board friendly as long as possible.

I've posted on punknews for probably about three to four years. I'm used to negativity, bullshit, name calling and all the rest over there. I'm not used to it here and I'd really like to keep it that way as long as possible. The bullshit that occurred in that Circa Survive thread is the exact definition of what I do not want to see happen. Which leads to my next question:

WHAT THE FUCK IS WITH ALL THE TROLLING ON SCOTT?! I've never gotten the hate for Scott. Whenever I ask I always get the, "You don't know him. He's a dick". Seriously, I've posted on the same boards as Scott for three years, I even met the dude at the Fest. I know Scott as well as any of the dicks who hate on him and I don't fucking get it. Is it because he knows people? Is it because he gets music before it's publicly available? Gets into shows for free? What?! I mean I know Scott can come off as a little self righteous at times, but so what? Dude has paid his dues and worked for years in the "music scene" so fucking let him have whatever comes with that.

Anyhow, I guess this is just a little Live Journal type rant but I just realized that the shit talking here bums me out more than on other boards. I hope we can keep it to a minimum.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm definitely really new to these boards so I never got to see it in its glory days I guess, but I find it ridiculous the amount of unnecessary arguing and shit that goes on. Can't we all just get along?

And yeah, Scott seems like a pretty legit dude. No idea why anyone would hate on a guy like that.

First off, I really hope this post doesn't come off as condescending, because it's not meant to be.

I think my biggest problem is that I am 100% myself on the internet. I always use my real name for virtually every website/forum I register on. I have no problem identifying myself, or saying who I am and what I do. I think some people take this as cockiness or arrogance, just because I'm confident enough in myself to always be honest about anything on the internet. Obviously, this has gotten me into hot water on numerous occasions, but I refuse to hide behind some random username and not be proud of who I am and what I've accomplished.

I don't think I'm better than anyone else on this board. I don't think I brag about my position in life or the perks that come with it very often. Usually, people don't even know I work at AP until some random troll brings it up as if it's something I'm embarrassed about.

I certainly don't view myself as "famous," but I do view myself as someone that is somewhat well-known publicly, at least in this scene. I've always been approachable and helpful to anyone who asks, but I think the trolls have this weird perception of me that because I'm a "pseudo-celebrity" or whatever, I can be insulted nonstop because it doesn't count -- I'm not "real."

Some of you already know that I had the extreme pleasure of writing the AP cover story on Against Me! late last year, and after spending some time with Tom Gabel, I can totally relate to him in terms of his persona vs. his reality -- kids judge every last move he makes, hurl insults toward him and use him as the butt of jokes constantly as if he's not a real person. But he's well aware of what people say, and I'm sure it affects him at some point, just like all the rampant negativity thrown my way for no real reason gets to me every once in a while. But because he's "famous," he can't lash out without things getting worse, and to a significantly lesser extent, I'm in the same boat.

Having to maintain a level of professionalism at all times because people are waiting for you to trip up really, really sucks.

I met Tom last night and he was cool, if I ever meet you Scott, you better be as damn cool as he is ;)

True story,Justin introduced me to Scott at the Fest and he hugged me right off the bat. It was a big beardy man-hug. From I dude I know from little more than a screen name and some stories that's pretty stand up.

All of know of Scott is here and punk news. He seems like a dude that doesn't take shit from people, and I have no problem with that at all. That and he's mildly amusing, so he's okay to me.

As for the CS thread, it was pretty heavy-handed, but jbrns has been digging that hole since he started posting here. I've dealt with mental illness myself and in my family my whole life, but that's never given me an excuse to be a complete ass to people.

The internet has given everyone the chance to voice thier opinions on everything. It's too bad the people have used this voice to bitch and moan about the most trivial and mundane shit which more than half of doesn't even make sense.

I've had limited interaction with Scott but everything has made me believe that he is a stand up guy.

If you hate him because he anally raped your mom I can understand, but don't hate him because he has opinions about anything.

Guest baseball
On a more serious note I know the mods around here have better things to do but sometimes I wish they'd be more heavy-handed in dealing with out of control posts, flaming, and trolling.

The problem with stepping up moderation on a message board is that you risk spurring even more complaining. Just look at all that 12/18 or whatever sillyness from a few months back.

If there's someone who is constantly contributing absolutely nothing and trolling to the board, then yeah, moderate a little. But in the 10+ years I've been roaming message boards online, I've noticed less moderation generally works out better. Just don't feed the trolls and they'll get bored and leave a lot of the time.

On a more serious note I know the mods around here have better things to do but sometimes I wish they'd be more heavy-handed in dealing with out of control posts, flaming, and trolling.

The problem with stepping up moderation on a message board is that you risk spurring even more complaining. Just look at all that 12/18 or whatever sillyness from a few months back.

If there's someone who is constantly contributing absolutely nothing and trolling to the board, then yeah, moderate a little. But in the 10+ years I've been roaming message boards online, I've noticed less moderation generally works out better. Just don't feed the trolls and they'll get bored and leave a lot of the time.

I'm with you completely. But there's been quite a few threads but new members and old alike that should have been locked, posts that should have been deleted and general behavior that flew in the face of the generally positivity of this board. In that case some heavy-handed moderation would have been nice.

Guest baseball

As for Scott, I agree with Dante that he can seem a little self righteous at times, but overall I don't have any problems with the guy.

Honestly, almost everyone seems a little self righteous/self important/annoying/whatever sometimes on the internet. It's just the nature of it. I don't assume that because Scott makes a self righteous post on the internet that he's actually that way in real life. It's pretty silly to assume everyone translates 100% on the internet the way they come across in real life.

In conclusion, I think too many people take messageboards way too fucking seriously sometimes.

Guest baseball

I'm with you completely. But there's been quite a few threads but new members and old alike that should have been locked, posts that should have been deleted and general behavior that flew in the face of the generally positivity of this board. In that case some heavy-handed moderation would have been nice.

Yeah, I'm not doubting that you are correct, just don't want this to turn into some overtly moderated board.

If I'm reading a thread and it starts to turn into some immature flame war then I generally just leave the thread, rather than try and sift through it to get to meaningful conversation. Chances are I haven't even seen a lot of the stuff that needed moderation on here.

you're all grown ups (most of you) locking a thread just leads to more threads. that said, I think there should be another mod, I've been so fucking busy lately, this message board is the least of my worries.

also, there have been so many people joining here, so when the ratio of people goes up, so does the ratio of assholes and shitheads.