Buying a TV (HELP)

Never been a big TV guy but I've been building my office and it would be nice to have one.

Want to get a 40", pref. with all the fancy wi-fi stuff so I can watch Netflix, etc.

Any recommendations would be great, I have Amazon prime so most likely will get on Amazon.

Thank you for the help!

I just purchaded a new tv on black friday. I ended up with a samsung 3d LED tv no smart capabilities since I own an xbox one. Things i looked for were atleast 120hz and decent reviews.

http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-UN40FH6030-40-Inch-1080p-120Hz/dp/B00BD8SZLE/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1388096574&sr=8-2&keywords=samsung+3d+led+tv

Looks like its still the same price as I got it for, and has prime shipping. I love it, I was on a 12 year old sharp 1080i tv and the jump to 1080p on this thing is amazing. For like 50 bucks you can get a roku and get all your smart capabilties and still save some money.

This is my next TV purchase once I have enough extra cash to spend. It's a samsung panel.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00DC9W2G6/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=ZRJFVK052T7B&coliid=IREO11XHJS6NP

Not sure where you got that info, but either way Samsung doesn't really make great LED panels to begin with, they're known for having horrible backlight uniformity issues in their lower end models and terrible off-axis viewing (and I own a samsung). But I guess for a $349 40" you can't really expect a lot...

I would personally go with an LG, right now you can get the 47ln5700 for about half off, so all together $600 ( http://www.amazon.com/LG-Electronics-47LN5700-47-Inch-LED-LCD/dp/B00BB9ORS0/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1388142944&sr=1-1&keywords=47ln5700 ). Great IPS panel, 120Hz refresh rate, smart features and whatnot. Right now it's the same price as the 42 inch version of the same model, best bang for your buck IMO. If you have a dark enough room, lebowski's projector suggestion isn't bad as well, but depends on the environment you're putting it in.

I have a samsung 48 (maybe 52"?) inch from 6 years ago, still doing great, I think its LCD?  either way, still looks sharp, starting to get a spot of fading/burning in the right center, but its really not even noticeable unless the TV is on a blue screen image.  we have a 32 inch tv upstairs that is hooked up to the wii/dvd player for the eliptical/guest room, I think its a vizio?  not nearly as good of quality, its only a year old, its sharp, but there is a clear difference between that TV and the bigger one downstairs. 

I originally bought the same Samsung set that someone else posted here - the F6030. It's a 3D tv with a nice panel. I ended up returning it and getting the F6300 since it had 4 HDMI ports instead of just 2. The F6300 also has some pretty cool smart tv functions, including netflix, etc.

The F6300 is a solid model, it's got a decent contrast ratio and this year's Smart Hub design is pretty tits.

I have absolutely no use for apps in my tv. Might as well put an app in my toaster.

A ps3 does everything I want.

I use netflix and amazon in my smart tv on a daily basis, and I have a ps3 also. My main reason is that I have a URC universal remote that I use to control everything (TV, Cable Box, AV Receiver, Blu Ray), but the ps3 doesn't support IR, and I hate having four separate remotes just for watching TV. Another reason is that the TV app launches much quicker than booting the PS3 and subsequently loading a different app.

I mean, the ps3 technically does it all but it just depends what kind of experience you're looking for.

Make sure you go look at the model in person before you buy it online. Seems obvious but a lot of people dont do this, and it can completely change your mind

QFT

Best purchase I ever made was my 1080p projector. 80 inch picture for $800.

It's just gotta be in a room with some space and not a ton of light (ie, a basement or man cave).

This. 

What projector do you have? I am in the process of upgrading from my 720p Hitachi PJ TX200, I'll most likely go for the Benq W1070. I really want to switch from LCD to DLP.

I did recently buy a TV, but it's mostly for gaming. When it comes to movies, I'll choose a projector any time.

We just updated our Panasonic g10 50" plasma to a 60" Panasonic 60vt60 Plasma since they arent making them anymore. Expensive but amazing TV

Very nice choice sir! The VT series is the best bang for your buck IMO, and even that TV is really hard to get ahold of. Very jealous :)

I usually go with Panasonic.  I have a 50" Panasonic from a billion years ago that is still going strong and looks great.  I also have a 32" Panasonic LCD in the bedroom and no complaints.

Whatever you go with, I would ignore the "smart" features on the TV and just plan on picking up whatever external media box strikes your fancy (apple TV, roku, PS3, chromecast, whatever).  The user experience is way better and the software gets updated more frequently.

Whatever you go with, I would ignore the "smart" features on the TV and just plan on picking up whatever external media box strikes your fancy (apple TV, roku, PS3, chromecast, whatever). The user experience is way better and the software gets updated more frequently.

On the contrary, the VT and ZT Panasonics have one of the best smart interfaces I've ever used. Have you seen one? It has a much faster processor and puts roku and all those cheap media boxes to shame. But for nearly a $2k TV, it very much should.

That's great if you're going to spend $2000 on a TV, but I think what most are discussing in this thread is spending $500-$700 on a TV and $200 on a Blu-Ray/streaming/gaming console that works great.

Another reason is that the TV app launches much quicker than booting the PS3 and subsequently loading a different app.

My TV app for Netflix/Hulu does not run nearly as well on my Samsung Smart TV as it does on the PS3, it often has annoying "refreshing" in the middle of episodes or movies, and sometimes it spazzez out and doesn't work for whatever reason. Also the smart TV interfaces I've seen that apparently aren't $2K just seem slow. I'm sure the top priced items work better, but not everyone is looking for a $2k TV.

Yeah you gotta turn the PS3 on from the controller while you're sitting on the couch, but to me it seems the wireless stream on smart TVs is not always that great and the PS3 experience is superior.