Gossip Hour: Connor Oberst Accused of Rape

You are so far on the the other side of the spectrum.  You don't know anymore than the rest of us.   & To say that you don't feel sorry for her just goes to show that you're siding with the accused.  These situations need to be handled very differently than they are.  You're joining in on the hate bandwagon because you don't think Conor "wasn't a train wreck or anything that bad."  Conor probably can't even remember most of his 20's.  He WAS a trainwreck.  He was wasted on stage more often than he was sober for so much of his career.  I'm really happy that he's seemed to have his life turned around now.  I think it's great that he's still making music.  But you can't completely excuse him from the idea that something may have occurred and that this girl could've retracted her story because of how society views the victims in these types of situations.  For all we know Conor could honest to God think he never raped someone - but there are so many variables at play.  From the obvious fact that he had a drinking problem and he might not have been coherent when the situation took place (if it did), all the way to the Conor seriously thinking what occurred is not considered rape.  It's astounding how many rapists don't think or know that they are rapists because they don't consider forcing themselves on other people sexually is considered rape.

I think we all understand where you're coming from, but you just made up a whole story about how it (could have) happened that has no basis.

I don't think anyone here wishes for victims to be abused or shamed, but that doesn't mean that we need to create narratives against the accused for "well if he did do it, then this is probably how he did it, and I could totally see it happening"

I think we all understand where you're coming from, but you just mad up a whole story about how it (could have) happened that has no basis.

I don't think anyone here wishes for victims to be abused or shamed, but that doesn't mean that we need to create narratives against the accused for "well if he did do it, then this is probably how he did it, and I could totally see it happening"

That's not what I meant to happen.  This guy just kept going on and on about things we've already rehashed in this thread.  I was trying to get the point across that whether people like it or not, she's a victim of more than just the alleged rape at this point.

Multiple quoting is difficult on my broken phone, but to the guy saying the new album wasn't financially successful because it simply wasn't good.... you're of course entitled to your opinion and I've heard the same from a couple people. But I thought it was the most impressive and fully achieved release under his solo moniker. I've heard many more people agreeing with this opinion rather than the downward slope opinion personally.

To the person who asked about his first marriage, back in 2006 he was married to Maria Taylor who has played for Bright Eyes in the past and is known for her soli career and work with Azure Ray. The marriage lasted less than two years I believe. This was during Conor's attempted clean streak surrounding the white-washed album cassadaga. Of course in the years after saw the solo albums. Apparently he got married again in 2010 under the radar. I saw the people's key tour in 2011 and he was far from sober. No wedding ring either, but apparently he's been settled down and focusing on his home life and family since then.

And as you mentioned, this is the man who wrote amy in the white coat. He also wrote many ambiguous songs about hurting women, oftentimes specifically implying they're younger than him. Up until cassadaga when he hit his clean streak and literally began singing about older women (classic cars) and more traditional intentiond (all of the self titled album, especially songs like Sausalito)

That's not what I meant to happen.  This guy just kept going on and on about things we've already rehashed in this thread.  I was trying to get the point across that whether people like it or not, she's a victim of more than just the alleged rape at this point.

Yeah, but it's her own damn fault. Wether it actually happened, she went about it the wrong way. That's my point. 

According to court documents, she has a history of "catfishing"—posing as a boy online, even passing herself off as a cancer patient. And while none of that has anything to do with rape allegations, Oberst's legal team is making use of these details in order to tear down both Faircloth and her side of the story.

Here's the thing. At the time it happened, she may not have even realized what was happening was rape. The fact remains that if some sort of inappropriateness happened, she was underage, if nothing else. We may never know what happened or if her allegations are true. 

The original point futurekills was trying to make was that you came into a thread about rape and made a misogynistic comment about a woman, calling an alleged rape victim a bitch.

Her lying about other things and catfishing people has nothing to do with whether or not she got raped, and could in fact be related to the fact that she was raped. She may have not be comfortable with herself, and feel dissociated, which is common in rape victims.

I'm not saying, yes, she was raped, but I can't discount it out of hand, even with all the weird shit that has happened in this case so far.

She also says that her and her friends had looked up to Oberst, many probably still do, so it makes her feel cool to have a connection to him, even if it was painful. Maybe she's conflicted about what happened.

Who knows?

Edit: that was just supposed to be a generic quote, not futurekills.

It's the fault of every single person contributing to it.  It's none of anybody's business except hers and Conor's, but that doesn't stop anyone else from singling her out and threatening her while he's over in the safe zone.  That is my point.  It all needs to be handled better and people need to stop being so hateful.

You're the worst.   You keep reverting to comments like these when you have nothing better to say.  Just do everyone a favor and keep your negativity to yourself.  Nobody needs it.

Aren't you the one that one that was proposing I was making fun of cancer patients? Are you going to keep going after me so you feel like you've "won"?

What magazine is that? I'm generally curious.

Probably either AP or Paste or Under the Radar. I know I had interviews from all of those on the wall. Conor definitely spent like a quartet of a page vaguely talking about Ssharing a mansion with his wife, Maria, in one interview. And in another I'm sure it mentioned divorce. I also remember Maria referencing the divorce. Granted this was all from over seven years ago.

It's the fault of every single person contributing to it. It's none of anybody's business except hers and Conor's, but that doesn't stop anyone else from singling her out and threatening her while he's over in the safe zone. That is my point. It all needs to be handled better and people need to stop being so hateful.

My take is this, it is very difficult for victims to understand completely what has happened to them, let alone speak up. Even worse against a public figure.

But she put out there what she put out there, and the only way to sort it all out is via criminal charges or a civil suit. The former, as far as I know, has not been brought. And correct me if I'm wrong, but she didn't bring a suit either. It's hard for victims for sure, but this is the avenue we provide to obtain some sort of justice.

He's entitled to defend himself if he's innocent, and a lawsuit is the way to do that. Damages are not necessarily what will be awarded. Both now will have their opportunity to plead their case.

Not sure what else has to be said? We will have to wait and see. I don't think he has done anything wrong as far as defending himself. And I'm sure he's received some shit from strangers and people he knows or he wouldn't bring this suit. And I'm sure some attorneys have reached out to represent her.

dude just let it go

Agree, no matter how much logic or facts presented, one won't be able to change the mind of someone who has personal experience with the alleged crime presented in this Gossip Hour thread, just best to let it go. 

It's easier to discuss freely with facts and such but until a member shows up and has personal ties, the debate can never meet in the middle and we should be sensitive to that.

This seems to have some of the definitive and most thorough reports and takes into account her FaceBook posts, the original XOJANE posts, what he's suing for etc. reads http://jezebel.com/rape-lies-and-the-internet-the-story-of-conor-oberst-1531785539

^Good points Lars and wildfange

Probably either AP or Paste or Under the Radar. I know I had interviews from all of those on the wall. Conor definitely spent like a quartet of a page vaguely talking about Ssharing a mansion with his wife, Maria, in one interview. And in another I'm sure it mentioned divorce. I also remember Maria referencing the divorce. Granted this was all from over seven years ago.

Honestly I've never heard that but oh well.