Game of Thrones: Season 4 (NO SPOILERS BOOK-READERS!)

If you like the show, definitely read the books.  Its so easy to get lost in the show, and you lose a lot of the back stories that you get from the POV chapters and internal thoughts of the characters.  Also the show switches up actors from season to season for some less major rolls (The Mountain, Beric, etc).  

But yea, some of the bizarre shit will be explained, but most of it won't.

I started the first book on Friday and couldn't put it down all weekend. I'm already almost done with it. SO GOOD.

I think I'm going to try to get through book 2 by the time the Olympics start and then book 3 (at least) by the time season 4 starts.

I started the first book on Friday and couldn't put it down all weekend. I'm already almost done with it. SO GOOD.

I think I'm going to try to get through book 2 by the time the Olympics start and then book 3 (at least) by the time season 4 starts.

I rushed to get through book three by the time last season started and it was well worth the effort.  Godspeed, it's a beast!

I finished the series in a couple months.  Literally could not put them down.

This season is going to be incredible. So much wild shit happens in the second half of book three. Now the NEXT season will be the one that'll be make or break for the show.

Pretty sure the show is already a certified hit.  While I expect season 5 to slow down a bit compared the the first three, I don't think anyone will stop watching, as book 4 is still important for the overall story.

I'm just scared the show will start to outpace GRRM getting the last two books out. 

Pretty sure the show is already a certified hit.  While I expect season 5 to slow down a bit compared the the first three, I don't think anyone will stop watching, as book 4 is still important for the overall story.

I'm just scared the show will start to outpace GRRM getting the last two books out. 

if they take two years a book he'll have 3 more years before book 5 would be on TV

having never read the books, can the break a book up into 3 seasons? 

Probably.  Book 4 and the first half of book 5 happen at the same point in time, but cover different characters. Between those 2 books they could probably make it 5 or 6 seasons.  The first book really should have been spread across 2 seasons, as they left a lot out. 

finished book 2 yesterday! the aftermath of the 

sacking of winterfell

from Bran's POV is so depressing

Not much of a spoiler unless someone hasn't seen the show, but yea Bran has a rough go of it throughout.

I think they've (HBO and the producers) said publicly that they don't see the show going more than 7 or 8 seasons. 

I find that hard to believe considering there are 2 (huge) books worth of material left after season 4, and then 2 upcoming books to end the series.  Unless they do some sort of alternate story line or completely butcher the series by cramming way too much into each season, 7 seasons seems to be way too restrictive.

They're combining 4 and 5, but there's a lot fewer BIG events and the focused characters change so much that it may really scare some people off. Curious to see how they do it.

I think they've (HBO and the producers) said publicly that they don't see the show going more than 7 or 8 seasons. 

As I said, they're combining a good portion of 4 and 5. It'll be interesting to see what happens when they reach a standstill.