A Thread for Runners - 2016 Yearly Challenge - Most Miles

Just hit 450 miles on my shoes and am starting to feel tightness in my calves while running. Thinking it's time for some new shoes. I currently have Brooks Glycerin 9's, which I like but I'm looking for something a little bit lighter this time around. Anyone have experience with Ghost 6s (I know the 7s just came out), PureFlow 2s or 3s or Gel-Nimbus' or have any other suggestions for something to try out? I'm a neutral running and I want some cushion and stability but I don't need a ton (if that makes sense haha)

Just hit 450 miles on my shoes and am starting to feel tightness in my calves while running. Thinking it's time for some new shoes. I currently have Brooks Glycerin 9's, which I like but I'm looking for something a little bit lighter this time around. Anyone have experience with Ghost 6s (I know the 7s just came out), PureFlow 2s or 3s or Gel-Nimbus' or have any other suggestions for something to try out? I'm a neutral running and I want some cushion and stability but I don't need a ton (if that makes sense haha)

If you're neutral go with the Asics Cumulus if you need a little cushion but not a ton. Nimbus' have over-cushioning in my opinion.

I'm neutral and run in the Cumulus if I want a little cushion, and my Adidas Boston if I want less. I'm holding out until the new Boston's come out in September for my next purchase. I've never run in Adidas before, but after this pair, they are my new favorites after being an Asics runner for years.

If you're neutral go with the Asics Cumulus if you need a little cushion but not a ton. Nimbus' have over-cushioning in my opinion.

I'm neutral and run in the Cumulus if I want a little cushion, and my Adidas Boston if I want less. I'm holding out until the new Boston's come out in September for my next purchase. I've never run in Adidas before, but after this pair, they are my new favorites after being an Asics runner for years.

Sweet, I'll definitely check them out then, thanks! And wow, that's honestly surprising. I stay away from Adidas and Nike because I assume they're focused more on other sports (without ever really trying them for running). Might have to rethink that now...

Sweet, I'll definitely check them out then, thanks! And wow, that's honestly surprising. I stay away from Adidas and Nike because I assume they're focused more on other sports (without ever really trying them for running). Might have to rethink that now...

If you have the option (if you haven't done this already), I would really recommend going to a store that specializes in running gear. They can film you running and analyze what you need in terms of pronation. I did this, and then tried on about six different pairs of shoes - all different brands. From there I was able to figure out what felt right on me and purchased from that. Best decision.

If you have the option (if you haven't done this already), I would really recommend going to a store that specializes in running gear. They can film you running and analyze what you need in terms of pronation. I did this, and then tried on about six different pairs of shoes - all different brands. From there I was able to figure out what felt right on me and purchased from that. Best decision.

Yeah, I'm planning on heading up to Fleet Feet in Annapolis before buying anything (hopefully Sunday). But I wanted to have some ideas prior to going up there. I went to VA Runner in Fredericksburg a couple years ago when I got the Glycerin's, they watched me run and brought out 2 different shoes for me to try. I didn't know any better then, but I do now, so I think I'll get a lot more out of it this time around.

Competed in a Tri today. I opted for the short course since I've raced four times in five weeks in some capacity. I finished 12th overall (140 entries) and 3rd in my age group. Besides a solid bike split I put up a 5k time of 22 minutes 7:06/mi - by FAR my best tri 5k time. Proof yo:

14472980114_40b3d41c91.jpg

Competed in a Tri today. I opted for the short course since I've raced four times in five weeks in some capacity. I finished 12th overall (140 entries) and 3rd in my age group. Besides a solid bike split I put up a 5k time of 22 minutes 7:06/mi - by FAR my best tri 5k time. Proof yo:

Photoshopped.

(Congrats Dave!)

Had an extremely disappointing race performance yesterday. Finished a little over 24 minutes (5k).

Started out with a 6:30 mile but it was 90 degrees and almost completely up and down hills and I was DONE for the last mile and half.

Luckily I get to do it all over again in eight days. Gonna try to slow the start and not get so worked up. I feel like I can't get worse, as this was was worse 5k time I've had in over a year.

Stay posi.

Congrats dude!

Had an extremely disappointing race performance yesterday. Finished a little over 24 minutes (5k).

Started out with a 6:30 mile but it was 90 degrees and almost completely up and down hills and I was DONE for the last mile and half.

Luckily I get to do it all over again in eight days. Gonna try to slow the start and not get so worked up. I feel like I can't get worse, as this was was worse 5k time I've had in over a year.

Stay posi.

Exactly, just more motivation to do better in a week!

Went to my local running store yesterday and ended up leaving with a pair of Adidas Adizero Adios Boost 2's. really loved them in the store but I'm a little worried they won't provide enough support for me, but I guess we'll see. I'm running 4 miles right  now, is that too long to run while breaking new shoes in? Should I take them out for shorter runs first?

Also, probably never would have bought them just because of my previously mentioned assumption that Nike and Adidas couldn't make running shoes (with no reasoning behind it at all) haha so thanks gkersey for your input last week. They didn't have an cumulus' and didn't have the nimbus in my size, so I didn't get to try them. But I liked the Boosts more than the Ghosts, a pair of Mizuno's I tried on, a different pair of Asics (can't remember which ones) and the Glycerin's I'm running in now.

Good job to everyone.  I need to get my mileage back up.

I wouldn't have ran in them at all yet, I would break them in by walking around in them a week or so.  Just like around the house and whatnot. 

yeah, that's what I was thinking about doing. My wife is due this week, so we're going to start walking to try to speed things up and I was considering just going for walks with her in them before running in them, but I wasn't sure if that was necessary or not.

I go against all advice and just run in them out of the box. 

Speaking of mileage: at the request of my wife I am taking today off but then planning to attempt a 45 mile volume 6 day stretch. I'm still a bit sore from racing hard so I picture tonight being me on the couch, feet up, cold beer in my hand and an ice pack on both knees. 

Wow I am super jealous of your mileage.  I used to average 35-45 miles/week. About 10 months ago I decided to take some time off running and work on strength/lifting.  It's been really hard for me because I love running so much and 20 min intervals 2x/week doesn't really do it for me.  This past weekend I volunteered at a Health Fair/4 mile memorial run; decided to do the run for kicks and finished in 34 minutes, which I was happy with since I haven't ran more than 20 seconds at a time in almost a year.  Starting July 1st I am going to throw in some runs again and cut back on strength, I'm super excited to get back into it, and ideally qualify for the Boston Marathon finally.

Wow I am super jealous of your mileage.  I used to average 35-45 miles/week. About 10 months ago I decided to take some time off running and work on strength/lifting.  It's been really hard for me because I love running so much and 20 min intervals 2x/week doesn't really do it for me.  This past weekend I volunteered at a Health Fair/4 mile memorial run; decided to do the run for kicks and finished in 34 minutes, which I was happy with since I haven't ran more than 20 seconds at a time in almost a year.  Starting July 1st I am going to throw in some runs again and cut back on strength, I'm super excited to get back into it, and ideally qualify for the Boston Marathon finally.

Nice! Goodluck! I did the same thing after high school. I played sports year round in hs, then went to college and started lifting and not running at all. After 2 years I gradually started working running back into my workouts more and more and eventually went to just running again. Kinda funny how it goes in cycles like that haha

It's funny cause I gave up strength training except for during my off-season in the winter and early spring. I miss it a bit but I don't have time to balance it in with the training schedule I'm keeping. Join the Cult Jess.

I like strength training but not like running. I'm sure I'll be back in soon. Looks like your at the convention center in Asbury in that picture. Ever done the polar bear plunge there? Brrrrr...

I like strength training but not like running. I'm sure I'll be back in soon. Looks like your at the convention center in Asbury in that picture. Ever done the polar bear plunge there? Brrrrr...

Finish Line was right at Convention Hall. I have never done a polar plunge and if I'm honest don't really see the appeal of ever doing one. Ha ha. I'm no baby in the cold - I do ocean swims in my wetsuit well into October when most have quit but the idea of a dead of winter bare bones plunge is not for me. 

I did three runs in 24 hours. Tonight is off not by choice but forced by a work obligation. It's going to be hard to hit more than 40 miles with how I've begun this week. 

I'm using this week as a run block - I have been upping the ante to get into my best 70.3 shape before Princeton. It's a boring story but frequency is my focus right this second with volume coming this weekend. 

On another note: I think I'm convinced I don't like the Mizuno's I bought. 

Rho -

I have Mizuno Wave Hitagami's - so read my thoughts here strictly for this model. I don't hate them. I've pounded out about 13 miles in them in the past 24 hours and 17.5 the past 48. I wore them to work in between. I don't like the fit around my ankle. The main issue for me is that the tongue is putting an odd pressure on the top of my right foot. This is possibly an issue with the shape of my foot since I don't get it on my left foot. I don't have this issue however with either my Free Run or Asics Gels. I plan to keep them and use them on my shorter runs as part of my rotation. The Free Runs are now just for the treadmill and looking fly around town since they are neon blue and pink. The Asics are my favorite. Six weeks or so before the marathon I plan to decide if I have enough mileage left in the Asics or if I need another pair. I really want to try out Brooks but don't know yet how I'll approach it. I don't want to try anything new too soon to what I'm working hards toward.

I have a landmark training run tomorrow. Let's see how it goes.

Yeah, that's pretty weird. And something like that would definitely bug me while running. I tend to focus solely on that type of thing when I'm runnning, if something's just a little off. Any chance of returning them?

And I have no idea what a landmark training run is, but it sounds big haha so goodluck!