A Thread for Runners - 2016 Yearly Challenge - Most Miles

Gang - anyone considering getting a GPS watch? Well I have one for sale:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/251499754093?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649

The last one sold for just north of $150 but I'd sell this one for considerably less than that to someone on here. If you would only use it to run then get a Garmin 10 instead. If you might want something good to track biking and swimming then this is a great affordable option.

I hated this thing when I first got it but about 2-3 months ago Tom Tom did a huge software upgrade and with no exaggeration this watch is the best at the price point for the level of functionality. 

Why sell it? Well, I want the newer model and can't justify said purchase without first getting funds for selling this one. My obsession is someone else's fair game. 

I was also thinking that if folks see good sales on shorts, shirts, compression, socks, sneakers etc they should be posting them in here. I'm always up for an extra pair of shorts etc. I really need some more tech socks but they are so damn expensive soI'm looking for a good sale there. 

Experienced Runners:

I need an opinion. I am thinking of running the Rutgers Unite Half Marathon this weekend. I put in a solid effort in that hilly 15k and Feel good. My last run on Tuesday was strong. Did a great 75 minute set of intervals on my bike last night and my thighs feel strong. Am I pushing too hard to get right back out to a race? I was planning 9-10 miles on Sunday anyway so what's a few more, right? I am not a front of the packer since I'm not really there to race - I save that for triathlons. Thoughts on recovery are welcome. I am supposed to run 8 miles tonight so I might just see what my body says to me tomorrow morning. 

I'm feeling good right now, really ready for race season to start but I am stuck waiting until May 18 for that. 

Long runs are 8-10 miles. Volume is 25-32 miles a week. 

I know I can do it - the course isn't too punishing and I have a long run planned this weekend at 8-10 range. I would taper Friday and Saturday again if I decide to do it so that I'm keeping my weekly average consistent in back to back weeks where I'm pushing the pace. 

I think the X-Factor is getting my wife to be cool with it. Ha ha. 

Well, I had a ton in the tank after the 15k. I am more concerned with abusing my body and costing myself training time in the weeks to come. I'm going to judge how I feel after my run tonight. I don't want to just finish - I want it to be a constructive training experience on my way into Tri Season and ultimately the NYC Marathon. 

Ran a slow-paced 6 miles today. Felt good throughout. I don't see any reason why I couldn't do 6 at a regular pace. I know I'll be fine to run the half marathon by September, it's just a mental game of proving to myself that I can run further than I have previously. Curious to see how my body feels tomorrow. I also need to remember to start eating more in the mornings on the days I plan to run so I have the energy to sustain longer distances.

Do you already know what race you are going to do? If so, start planning training with similar terrain. Let us know how you feel tomorrow. 

I started reading Run Faster by Brad Hudson this morning - With all training books the first 10+ pages are all about how this book is different / better than all the rest. I hate that. Ha ha. What am I getting at - I'll let you know if it's interesting since he address training for anything from 5K to Marathon. 

I ran 7.5 miles last night and felt great (grrrrreat). Then I went home and saw my son made me a homemade pizza. I ate three slices and woke up puking today. I can't get the shit out of my system, I feel awful. I'm 100% losing tonights run but will hopefully keep my 3.5 hour workout for tomorrow. 

Did 8 today. Made sure to keep the pace between 9 and 10 a mile for the most part to to make sure I could finish. Felt pretty good, have a ways to go but don't think I lost all my conditioning over the winter. That was a nice surprise.

Feel better Dave!

Damn dude, that's one hell of a way to start out haha nice!

Capped my first week of running with a 5k! Thanks for the motivation guys!

Awesome, way to go!

Not enough updates here! Stay motivated.

I am still getting over being sick on Friday and Saturday but muscled through some training.

Sunday I did a two hour bike trainer session and planned to do a three mile run but only did two.

Monday was strength training for an hour then I took my bike with it's new wheels out on a windy day to play and it was glorious.

Tuesday I got in 45 minutes in the pool then 45 minutes of running. My legs are still feeling off running but I pushed what was looking like a 30 minute run to well over 5 miles. Pulled a negative split on the back end which was all I could ask for. 

I'm going to just do an hour on the bike tonight to keep in motion and give my body a bit more rest from impact. 

Tomorrow I have an 8-mile run  planned so let's see what's cooking then but I'm not happy with how I'm feeling at the moment. 

I had an aborted run on Monday and haven't been back out. Did like 2.8 but we had like 30mph winds and it seemed that I was running into it no matter what, it really sucked. I gave up after 2 since I didn't love my pace and just did really short and fast intervals for the .8 home. It was a bummer. 

I've got indoor soccer tonight, thankfully, since it is 26 degrees out.