The "that song's a cover?!" thread

Most of my friends are huge fans of Tool. Especially the musicians. Years ago I was writing some stuff with this idiot friend of mine, and he wasn't really getting what I was going after. I was trying to explain that the lyrics were supposed to be sardonic.

So he brings up this song "Let's Have A War" by A Perfect Circle. And he's explaining the lyrics. I said, "they didn't write that. Fear did." He totally doesn't believe me because he hadn't heard of Fear. He puts the CD on. It's absolutely terrible. It was the first time I had heard it because I honestly didn't realize the band was still around.

It turns out he didn't realize that almost none of those songs were written by Maynard James Keenan. He and my other friends thought "Imagine" was the only cover! Which means that none of them are familiar with Nick Lowe, Black Flag, Marvin Gaye...and this is why I don't have any friends anymore.

Most of my friends are huge fans of Tool. Especially the musicians. Years ago I was writing some stuff with this idiot friend of mine, and he wasn't really getting what I was going after. I was trying to explain that the lyrics were supposed to be sardonic.

So he brings up this song "Let's Have A War" by A Perfect Circle. And he's explaining the lyrics. I said, "they didn't write that. Fear did." He totally doesn't believe me because he hadn't heard of Fear. He puts the CD on. It's absolutely terrible. It was the first time I had heard it because I honestly didn't realize the band was still around.

It turns out he didn't realize that almost none of those songs were written by Maynard James Keenan. He and my other friends thought "Imagine" was the only cover! Which means that none of them are familiar with Nick Lowe, Black Flag, Marvin Gaye...and this is why I don't have any friends anymore.

Ouch. Didn't care much for eMOTIVe, (or most of APC for that matter) but the CD lists all the original artists. That's just sad.

• 4 weeks later...

Heard two originals on Pandora today that I didn't the popular versions I already knew were covers.

David Bowie Heroes (I guess I just don't listen to enough Bowie... seems I should have know the Wallflowers wasn't an original)

Talk Talk It's My Life (I'd never heard this before, only the No Doubt song that I assumed was theirs)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1vNOwjkoCAQ

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Guest stl_ben.

yea, every time I hear MIA - Paper planes, I also tell people they got it from the Clash, and the result is the same, no one cares.

Also the Wreckx-n-Effect sample? 

I heard sublime's cover of "were only gonna die" before I new it was a bad religion song. When I found out it was a Bad Religion song, I listened to it then they became one of my favorite bands. Before that all I knew was "21st Century Digital Boy" and "You are The Government"

I used to work with a dude whose favorite band was Sublime, but he didn't know that most of their songs were covers.  When I told him he was crushed, like a part of him died because that band had meant so much to him.  I kinda felt bad about it!

I love Johnny Cash's cover of NIN's hurt. I'm not a huge NIN fan, nor am i a huge fan of Johnny Cash, i just think it's awesome that this 70 year old, in his last years decided to cover an industrial band's song. I don't think i've ever thought it was anything other than a cover but i'd just love to know whether it's an idea he came up with himself or was pitched at him by his label. I really hope it's the former.