Fall Out Boy - Infinity On High 2xLP with bonus tracks Hot Topic exclusive

travis

These major labels are definitely not mastering their pop punk reissues for vinyl. It doesn't make business sense for them to pay a mastering engineer to remaster something that they can just sell cd sourced. They know most people will buy it and not hear anything wrong and those who do find something wrong with the way it's mastered are just going to complain but still buy it anyway because nostalgia, the hobby, the "value," etc.

This album was produced amidst the "loudness wars" for radio ready pop rock, where compression was king and dynamic range was cut wayyyy down for the sake of a louder overall mix. My guess is it would take some pretty extensive remastering work to create a pleasing vinyl ready mix.

Just listened to it again. The first 6 notes of the 9 note solo guitar riff at the beginning are 100% missing.

About G.I.S.A.S.F.S... The iTunes version is missing those intro notes as well. It annoys the hell out of me every time. I don't understand! Where did they disappear to?!? lol

About G.I.S.A.S.F.S... The iTunes version is missing those intro notes as well. It annoys the hell out of me every time. I don't understand! Where did they disappear to?!? lol

I remember buying the CD and listening to that song with the intro, and it being my favorite, then buying the iTunes version a year or so ago and it bothering the hell out of me that that chunk was missing. Ruined the song for me.

Hilarious if they ripped it from the iTunes file.

Wow, that would be really sad if they ripped from the iTunes version. I just find it funny because there's multiple versions of the final 3 tracks of the album (including bonus tracks) and they managed to still bork it up.

I don't know if it was earlier in this thread, or in another related thread, but someone (might have been Travis) brought up that Island sold the vinyl pressing rights for the entire FOB discography to Hot Topic, so they are 100% in charge of the pressing of this and FUTCT.

So I imagine quality control would be Hot Topics responsibility in this case, unlike other exclusive releases.

I don't know how these things work though.

I remember buying the CD and listening to that song with the intro, and it being my favorite, then buying the iTunes version a year or so ago and it bothering the hell out of me that that chunk was missing. Ruined the song for me.

Hilarious if they ripped it from the iTunes file.

Same! I was so confused when I got it off iTunes later on. I assumed it was just an annoying glitch that happened when I downloaded it or something. But, when I listened to the vinyl for the first time.. I was like "Ahh, yes. This should hopefully have the full intro..." Nope. Disappointing, haha.

Same! I was so confused when I got it off iTunes later on. I assumed it was just an annoying glitch that happened when I downloaded it or something. When I listened to the vinyl for the first time.. I was like "Ahh, yes. This should hopefully have the full intro..." Nope. Disappointing, haha.

If you want the full song on vinyl grab this single: http://www.discogs.com/Fall-Out-Boy-This-Aint-A-Scene-Its-An-Arms-Race/release/1390015

Yes, I know it says that the B side is It's Hard To Say "I Do," When I Don't, but it's actually G.I.N.A.S.F.S. and the other version is also swapped. I'm guessing whoever pressed them originally either 1) put the labels on the wrong colors or 2) mixed up the song titles, but yeah, the entire song is definitely on there, I just listened to mine a few hours ago.

Part of the song is literally missing... Of course that ruins the song.

Its 1 second. Not to mention that version is put in multiple places. I have a cd copy with this version on it too. 

I really don't think half a riff missing from the beginning 3 seconds of a song ruins the entire song.

A letdown? Maybe. Ruined. No

It's alright and was more for nostalgia and putting on when I have people over.

Sound quality isn't anything special but the splatter itself is really rad.

All and all this should have been a $15 dollar record. It doesn't warrant a $26 dollar price tag.

It's extremely obvious at this point that sound quality is not paid attention to when these hot topic exclusives are put out. I'd rather SRC do these nostalgia records for $29.99 and have them done correctly.

These were pressed by Hot Topic with the license from the record label. That's how like 90% of Hot Topic's releases are. It also would make no sense as every instance of a Hot Topic release coming out that isn't directly at the same time as a major label release results in this exact scenario of it being from a CD source and sounding worse than the original pressings.

Some quick examples: Original press of From Under the Cork Tree vs Hot Topic release, OG vs repress of A Fever You Can't Sweat Out, outside of Fueled By Ramen/Universal releases it's happened with both of Linkin Park's represses verses the originals, and that's just a few in recent memory. The only one I have that is relatively good quality is the recent Panic at the Disco Too Weird To Live, Too Young To Die release, which was very clearly done by the original record label at the same time the original was pressed and on the same presses (I've compared the two, they're identical).

Hot Topic is not a record label. Hot Topic does not release albums for bands. Hot Topic does not license albums and press them. You will not see Hot Topic logos on the back of releases that are exclusive to Hot Topic. Hot Topic is a retailer that carries vinyl, just like Amazon or pretty much any other music retailer. Where the album is sold has absolutely nothing to do with the sound quality.

I don't know if it was earlier in this thread, or in another related thread, but someone (might have been Travis) brought up that Island sold the vinyl pressing rights for the entire FOB discography to Hot Topic, so they are 100% in charge of the pressing of this and FUTCT.

So I imagine quality control would be Hot Topics responsibility in this case, unlike other exclusive releases.

I don't know how these things work though.

100% false

Hot Topic has never bought out the rights to any album from any band.

Understood Travis, but isn't it fair to say Hot Topic partners with these labels for exclusive distribution rights? Hot Topic as a whole could either choose to stop doing business with the label if customers are unhappy or provide feedback to improve product quality.

I also understand these releases sell out quickly and are extremely profitable for the company. The demand is there and Hot Topic is doing a great job at finding a product that currently correlates with their customer base. 

I just think it's fair to say a lot of these exclusive releases aren't intended for true vinyl collectors and audiophiles. The price tag doesn't warrant the product for but I'm also not your target audience. 

Just my 2 cents and not a knock on your business practices. Hot Topic obviously knows what they're doing with these releases.

Damnit, I missed this both times. Why couldn't they have just stuck to a date on this?

If anyone winds up with an extra, please let me know. I don't live anywhere near a HT so this is incredibly frustrating.

This along with the rest of the vinyl will be back up online after Hot Cash, these are far from being sold out