Tell your funny 'Vinyl Noob' story

ran across an excellent condition copy of The Beatles' 'Yesterday and Today' at a garage sale for $5. Not knowing that the cover art back then was often pasted on (it was visible that the art was pasted on), I thought for a few days that I had purchased a Butcher cover album with a paste-over.

I did the exact same thing, but I bought it more as a "oh hey, cool thats the album with the recalled artwork." Within a block of that garage sale I realized it was a later pressing.

Bumping this because I wanted to share something I just remembered...

When I first joined VC, I was reading a Fall Out Boy thread, and Travis kept commenting on it. And I thought Travis was the drummer of Fall Out Boy because I couldn't remember Andy's name (Andy kinda looks like a Travis, doesn't he?). I figured that him being a member of FOB was the only way he could know so much about the upcoming "From Under The Cork Tree" repress...

I have something similar here on VC. When I first joined I was having a back and forth conversation about some deathwish release  with a member. A while later I realized it was Jacob Bannon.

All Deathwish releases become crushing doom albums when they're played at 33 1/3.

All my vinyl noob things are small things like I would receive records with defects that I would now shoot off an email to the label. I would also buy records right away off eBay instead of checking a more reasonable place (label, distro, band's site).

I made the same mistake with Is Survived By. :)

So I have two noob stories to share. They happened about a month apart but I just wasn't aware.

I had usb turntable collecting dust in the house, so I decided I'll buy some and play it. I didn't take the stylus cover off and tried to play an album and was really confused as to why it wouldn't work. Then it hit me. 

Second I got the Bayonet Ep which is a 12" that plays at 45rpm. It isn't marked on there anywhere and I was like "why doesn't this sound right?" Then I got online and read it was 45. Nothing too crazy i guess.

Second I got the Bayonet Ep which is a 12" that plays at 45rpm. It isn't marked on there anywhere and I was like "why doesn't this sound right?" Then I got online and read it was 45. Nothing too crazy i guess.

In all fairness I really wish more records had the speed on the label. Especially for 12" at 45rpm and 7" at 33.

In all fairness I really wish more records had the speed on the label. Especially for 12" at 45rpm and 7" at 33.

Yeah, this always drives me nuts. The worst is when a record starts with an instrumental build up and you can't tell until the vocals kick in after a minute or so. Usually I can remember after figuring it out the first time, but it's still annoying.

End of a Year - Sincerely plays at 45, but the label says 33. It was around the time I first started collecting and I tried to play it on my dads setup and when it sounded fucked up I assumed it was warped or something. Years later I decided to give it a shot on my new turntable and immediately realized I should try playing it at 45.

• 6 months later...

i have a bad one. my parents had/have an epic collection and we always had a turntable in the house, so i grew up with records being around and was the only one of their kids who ever had an interest in it (which also means i really should have known better). my family knowing this, i wound up inheriting one of my cousins' turntable and speakers when i was about 12 or so. had a great time rocking out in my room to records i started to buy or ones i borrowed from my parents. but then a couple years later, things took a tragic turn when i got big into techno and decided i was going to become a dj! so i ditched the vintage setup that i had and spent my savings on two turntables and a mixer. my mom didn't wind up being a big fan of my "mixing sessions" so, needless to say, my teen dj dreams were pretty shortlived and i  found a friend to buy my "dj setup" at almost cost. sadly, because i had tossed my original turntable and blown all my savings, this left me in a pretty crappy predicament.

a few more years pass and i start getting more into vinyl again. i'm still young and still broke as fuck, so i go to try to find a new turntable. being a total idiot, i wind up grabbing what i can afford: a secondhand $20 pink and beige plastic turntable that's probaby only a couple notches above a fisher price model. it didn't really work, but i was stubborn and really wanted to listen to records again, so i actually did play some records on it a few times. i still shudder to think about it.

TL;DR i was an idiot.

This can sometimes produce unexpected and impressive mistakes though. I accidentally played the Alice in Chains - Them Bones 7" on 33rpm last night and it was pretty fucking rad.