Well, that's horrible news.

But really though, and excuse me if this is a dumb question, but what is the reasoning behind not pressing an incredibly sought after release? Do they not want to make money? I just want to grab them and ask them why the won't take my money.

tumblr_lcmnlzs88y1qz7xrqo1_500.gif

Amen.  What I've heard though is that it's a politics thing with that album.  I can't profess to know everything about it, but it's something about the label that put the album out in the first place.  Somebody else may be able to elaborate more.

Alright, so here's the deal.  I'm making this my first post, so yay.

I spoke to Paula with Sony Canada today.  I explained to her that the release was popping up on sites, and was available for purchase.  I gave her the UPC, and it did pull up in the system, however, the UPC matched one that was cancelled in March. It was a for Good Apollo 1 pressing, and that was to be a RSD release in Canada.  Apparently, everyone assumed it was pushed it back, presumably for Black Friday, but as it turns out, that isn't the case. 

After Paula did some research, she called me back explaining the cancellation, and that this was NOT going to be pressed, due to a determination from Sony USA.  She inquired about it, and received an email back saying there were no plans, present or future, to press the album. 

So that's the story of the pressing that doesn't exist.

That's pretty upsetting news.

But on a lighter note... THE JAMES CHAMP! Good to see you here!

Whoever does have the license and rights to press this needs to sit down and make it happen already. If it's Sony, are they just oblivious to how well this would sell, or...?

don't mean to call out your post specifically as many people are asking the same questions...

but it's not always that simple. it's especially not simple when you're dealing with huge labels and big records. it could be a number of things. i don't know a ton about coheed but it seems like they're not on the same label anymore? major labels that don't have a band signed anymore aren't exactly quick to keep releasing stuff by them. i can assure you, it's nowhere near being a priority for sony. it's also very possible that the band would rather this record never get pressed then let sony make another cent off it, etc... it could be that the band wants to wait until they secure the rights...

many possibilities that are different than just "...but the label could make so much money!". this record may be a big record to a lot of people here, but in the grand scheme of things, for sony, this wouldn't be a huge money-maker. even if they sold 10,000 vinyl copies, that's really not a lot of money to sony. 

That's fair enough. I won't pretend that I know the in's & out's of label / press mechanics. I believe this album was co-released with Sony and Equal Vision, too, which certainly doesn't simplify matters.

Yup. You brought up the main issue. It was a co-release between Sony via Columbia and Equal Vision. Equal Vision still has a stake in everything I'm almost positive of so any release things would have to go through both it seems and as much as Sony wants to just act alone it looks like they can't. Maybe we'll see it next year for its 10th anniversary. Who knows. I'll try to ask Claudio tomorrow at his signing.

Ok so I got some more info on this today from the man with the big hair himself. The band had NO clue about the pressing and apparently Sony Music Canada was working on their own on this. He also confirmed it's been canceled and that he has no clue what's up with it really, but he DID say that he wants to release it on vinyl at some point, so I guess there's that.

Ok so I got some more info on this today from the man with the big hair himself. The band had NO clue about the pressing and apparently Sony Music Canada was working on their own on this. He also confirmed it's been canceled and that he has no clue what's up with it really, but he DID say that he wants to release it on vinyl at some point, so I guess there's that.

Wow! I also want this released in vinyl. I bet I could have it out faster, with better, cooler variants than the final release!

I'd love some kind of 4-5 disc box set style version. I'd have to look at running times but a 45RPM box ala Metallica would make me VERY happy. And don't worry, I'd have 3-4 different color 2 disc variants as well! Plenty of cool stuff for every type of fan!

Anyone know what this guy is talking about? I feel like I missed something.