Swans live 2CD and fundraiser for new 3LP

Going to parse through these options when I'm more awake.  New Swans on the horizon makes me pretty happy!

Currently my most anticipated release of 2016, by a landslide.  It and Russian Circles already have me exciting for the new year.

[edit]

So just to clarify; option #3 (for $80) includes;

The Gate 2x CD; live album featuring 4 new songs.

– New album on 3x LP, May 2016.

– Live DVD of 2015 / 2016 shows.

Yes?  No?  Seems like a pretty solid deal to me.

Currently my most anticipated release of 2016, by a landslide. It and Russian Circles already have me exciting for the new year.

[edit]

So just to clarify; option #3 (for $80) includes;

The Gate 2x CD; live album featuring 4 new songs.

– New album on 3x LP, May 2016.

– Live DVD of 2015 / 2016 shows.

Yes? No? Seems like a pretty solid deal to me.

That's what I was looking at buying. Gonna grab the other two things anyways so it's basically like paying $30-35 for the CD package.

Have any of you read the whole note? I gotta say I love his writing. It's so.. considerate. He talks about the possibility of him ending up writing fiction. I'd totally support that.

He's dabbled with it in the past, too, I'm pretty sure.  I think I read about it an interview he did last year.

The note also confirms (like many of us suspected) that his creative output [and Swans' music in general] aren't going anywhere.  It's sounding like Gira will continue to release music and collaborate with other musicians – including the current Swans lineup, if willing – to write and produce future releases.  They're basically stepping down from being the [absolute] machine they've been; basically touring, writing, and recording in an endless loop for the last 5 years.  I expect things like EPs and much longer breaks between albums and touring, going forward, but that's certainly better than the band dissolving into nothing.

Have any of you read the whole note? I gotta say I love his writing. It's so.. considerate. He talks about the possibility of him ending up writing fiction. I'd totally support that.

He had that book of short stories on Henry Rollin's publisher, called The Consumer and Other Stories. Brutal stuff, comparable to early Swans lyrics.

• 1 month later...

Just got mine in today. Beautiful release and worth every penny. I unfortunately missed out on the last two but this will be a CD I hold on to for the rest of my life. Cloud of Forgetting is amazing.

Just got mine in today. Beautiful release and worth every penny. I unfortunately missed out on the last two but this will be a CD I hold on to for the rest of my life. Cloud of Forgetting is amazing.

I missed out on the last two as well.  Just didn't "get" the hype behind them, I suppose.  I still would've jumped on this one regardless, but knowing that its content is centered around "the last" Swans release (potentially for a while), I felt extra compelled to order.

I can't wait to hear how these "drafts" evolve onto the final record.  Frankie M. has the potential to be one of the biggest recorded sounds of 2016.

I will have to revisit Frankie M. I remember seeing them do it live and him just saying Frankie M for what felt like five minutes straight, haha. I just listened to the second CD but will check the first out on my way home from work.

I will have to revisit Frankie M. I remember seeing them do it live and him just saying Frankie M for what felt like five minutes straight, haha. I just listened to the second CD but will check the first out on my way home from work.

The crazy thing about live Swans is that the newer material changes so frequently that there's no telling if we even witnessed the same song, really.  I couldn't tell what Gira was singing in Frankie M. earlier this year, but there's a lot of drug references on the CD version.  (The live version I saw also channeled some serious "noisy" Godspeed, which I was all about.  I only really hear it during the last few minutes on the CD version... which is still awesome.)  I'm eager to spend more time with these versions without getting too attached, since I'm surely they'll be changed and polished up significantly for the studio release.