CATS RULE, DOGS DROOL!

On the subject of declawing (I know I'm late):

I worked as a Vet Tech for two years and assisted in a lot of different surgeries and procedures. Declawing is a rotten procedure and the sound of the crunch of the blade cutting the bone haunts me to this day. You'd be pretty bummed if someone came and said you didn't need nails but instead took off a good chunk of the tip of each of your fingers. If you are really worried about your couch then don't get a cat in the first place. (I know I'm militant on this but it's a haunting, awful thing to see done in person)

Spot on Dave. There are so many ways around getting your furniture clawed too, it's ridiculous. Put a cat tree next to the couch, problem solved. Also those scratchers Alison posted are great, throw the cat nip underneath and they go crazy for that shit.

• 2 weeks later...

Shyla had started giving me a daily 5am wake up call by pawing my arm relentlessly. It's so cute, I can't be mad at her. It would be a better story if I actually had to be up, and she was just making sure I got to work on time.

My cat does this around 10-11am. I usually get up around noon because I'm a piece of shit (also, I work 2-10pm), but around 10am she starts jumping back and forth over me and then meowing when I open my eyes to look at her. She stops when my alarm goes off. Today was my day off so around noon she started freaking out and walking up and down my back meowing because I hadn't gotten up yet. On a couple occasions where I forgot the set my alarm or just overslept this was really helpful.

So I am going to be a getting a kitten in a few weeks (!!!) and growing up my family has always adopted older cats, so I'm not too familiar with kitten issues. I'm mostly concerned with wire chewing, attacking my new TV and of course, eating my records. Do you guys have any kitten tips, or suggestions on protecting expensive/dangerous things?

Edit: And to make this a non-text-only post, this is just one of kittens from the litter I'll be getting my little one from:

10261215_271024146403716_793328686_n.jpg

I have a new stray that I'm feeding that my son has named Snicket Badicket (we already have a Snicket). I really really really want Badicket to come live with us and he seems to be warming up to me. He's figured out that if he comes to the side window and meows that I'll come out with food. Hoping we can now get to the point where I can touch him. Super Handsome Kitty and I have a nice home for him if he'll accept it. 

So I am going to be a getting a kitten in a few weeks (!!!) and growing up my family has always adopted older cats, so I'm not too familiar with kitten issues. I'm mostly concerned with wire chewing, attacking my new TV and of course, eating my records. Do you guys have any kitten tips, or suggestions on protecting expensive/dangerous things?

Edit: And to make this a non-text-only post, this is just one of kittens from the litter I'll be getting my little one from:

10261215_271024146403716_793328686_n.jpg

kitty is fucking adorable!!

I've never had any issues with wire chewing or anything of the sort. Just make sure kitty knows where the litter box is and has lots of fun to play with! ...just dont sit on the little thing!

kitty is fucking adorable!!

I've never had any issues with wire chewing or anything of the sort. Just make sure kitty knows where the litter box is and has lots of fun to play with! ...just dont sit on the little thing!

i've only ever had a kitten once (the 15 year old girl i have now), and she was soooo tiny when we got her i was ultra paranoid that i was going to step on her accidentally, because she was ALWAYS underfoot.