Boris - "Noise"

Can you just walk into a random record store in Japan and buy a Boris record? I would imagine that they are not that big right now there, specially because they havent released a proper full-length since Pink. Its kind of weird they have become more and more popular in the last 10 years in US and EU nevertheless.

I'm pretty sure "Smile," "Attention Please," "Heavy Rocks (2011)," and "New Album" are counted as proper full lengths (ie not limited and not experimental) for Boris.

I'm pretty sure "Smile," "Attention Please," "Heavy Rocks (2011)," and "New Album" are counted as proper full lengths (ie not limited and not experimental) for Boris.

Yeah, not sure what rock that other person was living under...

I just decided to get these guys out. Where should I start? My local shop just got a pink copy of Pink in for $30. Is that a decent deal?

Is it transparent or opaque? If it's transparent the deal is good, if it's opaque it's really good.

I would say buy it. It's a fantastic album and that is a great price, especially for a B&M store.

I've been to a few places here..

Believe it or not the one place I've bought a boris record has been Tower records. (I bought the RSD repress of Para. )

I am doing a ton of shopping here but don't see a ton of his stuff

. But then again I'm going to a lot of 'vintage' aka used shops

I am sure they have a ton of his stuff at Big Love in Tokyo and Flake in Osaka.

I just decided to get these guys out. Where should I start? 

Boris changes their sound a lot. They actually sound like they're messing with different genres and ideas just to give their fans that  :wacko: face. And they're very prolific, most of their stuff sound like they didn't care to think twice before releasing. So you'll get albums released close to each other with significantly different approaches, or you'll find them collaborating with someone like Merzbow going through a unexpected path. But I'd say, summoning things up, that Pink would be a closing point from their first albums where they inherited influences mostly from the Melvins and sounded straight, heavier and noisier. Smile, the following album, and their (nice) collaboration with Michio Kurihara (Rainbow) opened their scope even more, to the point where they even messed with JPop, or something close to it (New Album). They're always coming back, flirting with the sound that made them most recognized for, but to my ears they are struggling to keep things interesting.

• 4 weeks later...

Most of this album is so post-rock-ish and mellow. I like it, but it further confuses me as to what Boris is even supposed to be.

Once New Album hit, I gave up on figuring out what Boris is (or what to expect).  I'll probably like this if it leans toward post-rock, but part of me will always wish they were playing heavier material.

• 2 weeks later...