The Ex-Girlfriend (or Boyfriend) Thread

Go hang out during her shifts and threaten to fight dudes.

If you have a girlfriend she's going to get hit on. It's a fact of life. As long as she's not actually accepting offers to go out, you're fine.

This tends to be true when you replace "girlfriend" with "wife" as well.

A hipster hit on my wife while she was grocery shopping today.

She's still got it.

Not an ex-girlfriend story but my current girlfriend just got a job as a barista at Coffee Bean and Tea Leaf, and all I hear are stories of guys hitting on her. Totally bugs me, but whatever. 

My lady sometime gets hit on when we are out together. Every now and then when the guy is extra douchey and she is asked "can i buy you a drink" she orders a beer I like and brings it over to me.

My lady sometime gets hit on when we are out together. Every now and then when the guy is extra douchey and she is asked "can i buy you a drink" she orders a beer I like and brings it over to me.

This seems appropriate, yeah I'm pretty used to it, but just still uncomfortable, all of my friends had tried getting with her before we were together (unsuccessfully). I don't know just the tragedy of having a cute girlfriend I guess. 

I've been single for about five years now (mostly because I'm aromantic), but I have a good one. Sorry in advance for the novel of a post I wrote.

The last time I had a girlfriend was when I was 17 (22 now). We met on an All-State Chorus trip; she was doodling something in her sketchbook on the bus (she's a pretty good artist), and she had the same iPod as I did, which happened to be filled with nearly identical music as I had on mine. So we started talking about music and her drawings and things like that. The next day, she basically told me her entire life story (her mom died, her dad is/was a violent alcoholic, she lived with her grandparents but she hated them, she used to cut herself, etc.) and I was just like "dude, we're having lunch with forty other high schoolers at a Wendy's in between three-hour rehearsals, why are you doing this?". That should have been my first clue.

Fast forward to about a month after we got back from the trip. We had exchanged phone numbers at the end of the trip, and talked every two or three days, mostly by text. Suddenly, I start getting text messages from two or three numbers I didn't know (which I later learned were friends of hers who had gotten my number out of her phone without permission), saying that she was depressed because I hadn't asked her out yet and that she had called one of them crying, wondering when I'd ask her out on a date. Eventually they started physically threatening me a-la "if you don't ask her out, I will find you and beat the shit out of you."

So I asked her out on a date, for no reason other than making sure she didn't do anything to herself (and making sure none of her bat-shit crazy friends did anything to me), and we became "official." Coincidentally, our first date was dinner and a movie; we went to see Drag Me To Hell. Take that as you will.

Fast forward again to about four months after the first date. I had tricked myself into enjoying the first three months of dating her, even though I knew I hadn't wanted to date her since before I asked her out. For that last month, I was tossing back and forth how I was going to break up with her. I wanted to tell her in-person, because that's the only way it should happen, so I eventually texted her asking to meet her somewhere (a park or something, I think), but I made the mistake of saying I "wanted to talk to her." She called me not even a minute later, sobbing, asking if I was breaking up with her. I didn't want to lie to her and further my problems, so I said yes. She began going through the whole "why? We were perfect together, you've been leading me on this entire time, you're an asshole, I don't want to see you again for a long time" spiel. Completely expected, and understandable to an extent.

About five minutes after she hung up on me, I got on MySpace (because that was still popular in 2009) to see if there was any damage control to be done. The very first thing I saw on my news feed was her status update:

(This is word-for-word what she wrote; I will never forget it)

"FUCK YOU FUCK YOU FUCK YOU. I HOPE YOU DIE AND GO TO HELL. I NEVER WANT TO SEE YOUR FUCKING FACE OR HEAR YOUR FUCKING VOICE FOR THE REST OF MY LIFE."

I immediately knew I had done the right thing, and was overcome with a sigh of relief.

We're on good terms now, and we still chat occasionally, but it took about a year and a half for her to get over that breakup, and two years for her to initiate conversation with me.

Not an ex-girlfriend story but my current girlfriend just got a job as a barista at Coffee Bean and Tea Leaf, and all I hear are stories of guys hitting on her. Totally bugs me, but whatever. 

You shouldn't let it bother you.  You had to get her somehow, right?  So why be offended that other dudes are doing the same thing that you did at one time.  Be stoked that your gal is hot enough to get the attention, and be proud that she chooses you to come home to at the end of the day.  

One time, ages ago, while I was still married, I went to check on my wife while she was at the jukebox, only to find some dude hitting on her. When I came up to her, he looked terrified, like I was going to hit him or something.  I told him not to worry about it, I had to hit on her once too, such is life.  

• 2 weeks later...

Been wanting to post this story, but had to get to a computer first. 

So my ex now.. she was a bit crazy. Not at first, but after like 3 years she went off the deep end. I have so many stories of this girl, but this one is the most dramatic. 

This girl had a best friend, and we didn't get along.. at all. I didn't like her because she was the type that did obscene drugs, and didn't give a fuck and slept around a lot.. So the epitome of a bad influence, especially since my girlfriend was already very impressionable. Well, said girlfriend wanted her best friend and I to get along, so she gives me her number and tells me to text her. So I do, reluctantly, and her friend and I start talking and we get along, don't hate each other so much. So we talked only as friends, nothing more. But apparently, girlfriend didn't like that, (even though it was her directions). She was at a wedding, and her friend and I were texting like normal, just like she told us to, and I get a phone call.

It's girlfriend.

Girlfriend calls screaming and yelling, saying "are you fucking Rainman or some shit? Why the fuck are you talking to her!" and "I fucking hate you so goddamn much." Just really being insane. She blocks her friends number on her phone, starts angrily calling me. And I swear, I didn't instigate anything at all in the conversation with her, because I try to be as calm as possible when people are yelling like that.

So eventually she hangs up, and her friend calls me, because my girlfriend texted her and acted strangely nice (cause she would never yell at her friend, just me.) before she blocked her. We figure things will blow over, and we just talk about what's going on. 

Well, we get a phone call later from my girlfriend's mother. She was in the hospital. When she got home, she stabbed her phone, threw it at her mother, threatened her with the knife, and stabbed it into the wall. She then proceeded to go upstairs and attempt to kill herself with overdose. She was at the hospital getting her stomach pumped.

And nothing happened more than what she asked. We broke up soon after.