Would music, as a whole, be better if bands only put out 3 albums?

I also say yes. Maybe even 2. But the band needs to stay together and keep playing the old songs live, since that's the only issue I can think of.

Alright, so you're a creative person. You write an album that's pretty alright and tour it for awhile. You write a second one that's even better and tour it for awhile. Then you just stop writing/creating and keep performing the same material over and over?

I don't think so.

the only thing bands should do is stop putting filler tracks on their albums because I fucking hate 16 song cd's with like two good songs on it.

If we're being real, you probably shouldn't be listening to these sort of bands or albums in the first place.  Having to "put up with" the majority of an album just because you enjoy a single or two means that there are far, far better bands worth your time and money.

If we're being real, you probably shouldn't be listening to these sort of bands or albums in the first place.  Having to "put up with" the majority of an album just because you enjoy a single or two means that there are far, far better bands worth your time and money.

I'm big on listening to albums straight through so it bothers me when I delete everything but the song(s) I like, but that's what I end up doing.  I think I was talking a lot out of experience with my band - we recorded 11 songs and put them out but we should have only put 6 of them out - they would have sounded better and people would likely have enjoyed the record more....

I'm big on listening to albums straight through so it bothers me when I delete everything but the song(s) I like, but that's what I end up doing.  I think I was talking a lot out of experience with my band - we recorded 11 songs and put them out but we should have only put 6 of them out - they would have sounded better and people would likely have enjoyed the record more....

For sure.  I'm also an album / "start to finish" kind of guy, but if only 10% of the record is doing something for me, I end up deleting the whole thing and just Youtubing the good tracks from time to time, when I get the itch.  That's all speaking personally, but I see no point in allowing a (mostly) forgettable album to occupy my HD space - or worse yet, my shelf space.

The reverse could totally be said - 8 good songs and 3 bad ones.  Why waste our time with the bad tracks?  Sure it's relative, but if you're never ever going to even consider playing them live and most people ya show don't think they are any good.

Very fair point.  I'd be lying if I said that I usually love 100% of any given album on the first listen.  Most of what I listen to has room to grow on me, though, and those initially mediocre songs sometimes end up becoming my favorites.  Not always, but more often than not.

One band that really stands out for me, that got better after their 3rd album, is The Bouncing Souls. Hopeless Romantic was their 4th full length which I thought was a lot better than the first 3. Then How I Spent My Summer Vacation was their 5th, which is even better. After that they kinda fell off for me though.

This is so wrong. Neither of those records are better than Maniacal Laughter. Not even close. Good The Bad... I love that record but I will allow folks to argue about it. We won't even discuss Green Ball Crew - why did they reissue that again after doing the right thing for so many years? 

I'm actually having trouble thinking of many post-2000 exceptions. I say yes.

The Album Leaf

The Antlers

Andrew Jackson Jihad

Animal Collective

Autechre

Biosphere

Caspian

Fennesz

The Flaming Lips

Godspeed You! Black Emperor

Hella

Jacob Kirkegaard

La Dispute

Modern Life Is War

Mountains

Moving Mountains

Prurient

Sigur Rós

Stars Of The Lid

Thomas Köner

Yeah Yeah Yeahs

In my opinion :)

The Album Leaf

The Antlers

Andrew Jackson Jihad

Animal Collective

Autechre

Biosphere

Caspian

Fennesz

The Flaming Lips

Godspeed You! Black Emperor

Hella

Jacob Kirkegaard

La Dispute

Modern Life Is War

Mountains

Moving Mountains

Prurient

Sigur Rós

Stars Of The Lid

Thomas Köner

Yeah Yeah Yeahs

In my opinion :)

I'm pretty sure he was joking / being ironic, but I could be wrong.  A good portion of his vinyl collection is post-2000, so I just assumed he was trolling.

Depeche Mode without Music For The Masses, Violator, and Songs of Faith and Devotion? No thanks.

One of the first bands that came to mind.

Also agree with Dave on the Souls. I stopped following them after Summer Vacation, but that was still their 5th album.