PO on Kickstarter - Sprout: HiFi Stereo Amp

I mean, let's just call it what it is. The Kickstarter campaign is just a cash grab and hype-generator. Why not use it? You get guaranteed money up front, and your customers get a discount off MSRP. I don't see how it's so offensive that they started a Kickstarter campaign. They're not forcing anyone to back it. 

For $450, I'm in for one. I love the PerfectWave 2 (revision 1), and think it's one of the best DACs under $4K. I'm hoping it has the same flavor as the PWD2 in a smaller package. Very glad they went with the Wolfson 8524 instead of these flavor of the month Sabre chips that usually end up sounding a bit odd in treble rendering. 

A decent DAC, phono preamp and headphone amp in a small form factor ticks all the right boxes for me. I just wish this thing had a line-out because 25W at 8ohms excludes a lot of speakers from the list. Wish I could line out to a power amp because the Sprout won't be able to power either of my speakers (not to mention it excludes all of the folks with powered monitors). As it is, I'll probably pair this thing up to KEF LS50's or Philharmonitors. 

I'm not too worried about the one knob or sound quality as I'll most likely just be displaying the unplugged amp below my framed records and presentational U-Turn with acrylic platter.

Sounds like you enjoy wasting your money if you're just going to display it. Mind letting me have $500? I'll share it with the rest of VC so we can all buy records that are actually worth something...

• 2 weeks later...

Cool idea. The inclusion of Bluetooth and the fact that they are obviously marketing to people who are confused by conventional receivers should make it clear that it's not intended for people who REALLY care about how music sounds.

Personally I think it's a step in the right direction to getting the average music consumer to stop listening to music on iPhone and laptop speakers at home. I think it's cool that it supports vinyl out of the box, too, which is something that a lot of modern amps overlook. And at least they didn't show a Crosley hooked up to it.

Looks like from the USB and digital inputs on the back that this thing is also a DAC, which would help to explain why it's so expensive.

I'm guessing the use of Kickstarter is a hype machine and way to gauge interest before ramping up production in this case.

• 4 months later...