Video game OSTs

I thought there might be some interest! I know rights issues may hold up any of the Banjo or DK stuff, but I've pitched the idea for Yooka-Laylee to Grant Kirkhope - if it's something the team is open to there's really nothing in their way which would prevent them from making it happen, be it on their own or by partnering with another label. They're already having OST CDs pressed up so a 2LP set wouldn't be a huge stretch for them.

http://vgmdb.net/

Check it there.

Went over every listing for that OST religiously - it appears to match the real thing, but if there are varying counterfeits out there with differing catalogue numbers - what's to stop someone from producing one which actually appears to be the real deal?

Things which would help which are not shown on VGM.DB

• clear photos of disc matrix

• logs, crc checksums which could be used to verify the data against what's on my disc

Reasons I have to believe my disc is fake

• low price - red flag for a disc which used to trade for a good amount of rupees

• purchased one listed as "used" to prevent getting one of the new fakes, figured I'd have a better chance of getting an older copy - the one I got was actually still sealed - another pretty big red flag

• sold by Amazon cd seller with very large claim in description "NO FAKES!!! All items are authentic original Japanese release" - which sounds like something either an honest seller or a crook would say.

• some aspects of the artwork appear to be blurry, some appear to be sharp

• disc is recognized by EAC, but when ripping, the tracks can't be verified as accurate against what I assume are legitimate copies. Different accuraterip values are given for each track present in the database.

Yeah, if it's a bootleg using the originals info, you can't check it there. Sounds like a bootleg to me. 99% if it is cheap, it is a bootleg.

It's probably sourced from the original, so it has the same info when grabbed by EAC, but it might have been ripped bad, hence it not being verified in accuraterip. Someone else could have added it to the database too, for EAC to pick it up.

Yeah, if it's a bootleg using the originals info, you can't check it there. Sounds like a bootleg to me. 99% if it is cheap, it is a bootleg.

It's probably sourced from the original, so it has the same info when grabbed by EAC, but it might have been ripped bad, hence it not being verified in accuraterip. Someone else could have added it to the database too, for EAC to pick it up.

It's really a shame. The entire reason I bought it was so I wouldn't have to download a bad rip in the first place. Everything you're saying is very true and exactly why I have my reservations about this thing. Even if it was properly ripped by the bootleggers, even the slightest sample offset created in writing the new glass master would throw everything off in terms of AccurateRip verification. Which is precisely what I suspect has happened here. Too many signs point to this being a fake.

Of course I have some time so I would like to do as much research as I can so I don't end up making any rash claims - so if anyone has the real thing, a photo of the disc matrices would be the tell-all, if say the numbers varied or the fonts/spacing wildly differed. Maybe it's real, and then all is good in the world. Trust… but verify.

It appears as if there is a 1 second gap between every track, with the exception of the standard 2 second pregap behind track one, and a 2 second gap before track 2 on disc 1. Something as simple as a known legitimate disc not having similarly written gaps would pretty much verify this as a fake.

RE: The possible bootleg - if it looks the part, passes all rudimentary tests and you can't find a source online to prove it's a bootleg, just enjoy your purchase as if it was the genuine article - you've no way to ever prove otherwise :)

The thing is, there is a lot more indication that this isn't genuine than any indication that it is. And if EAC is indicating that the data on the disc has been altered so as to not be identical to the genuine product, that kind of defeats the purpose of the purchase entirely as I would not be able to enjoy it as if it were the legitimate product.

In any case, on the image of the discs on VGMDB, you can oddly see part of the matrix through the front of the disc due to the uniform grey coloring. Not a lot of visibility, but enough to see that the spacing of the barcode is entirely different.

The thing is, there is a lot more indication that this isn't genuine than any indication that it is. And if EAC is indicating that the data on the disc has been altered so as to not be identical to the genuine product, that kind of defeats the purpose of the purchase entirely as I would not be able to enjoy it as if it were the legitimate product.

In any case, on the image of the discs on VGMDB, you can oddly see part of the matrix through the front of the disc due to the uniform grey coloring. Not a lot of visibility, but enough to see that the spacing of the barcode is entirely different.

So did you get a refund?

So did you get a refund?

Haven't done anything about it yet. I'll try contacting the seller tomorrow afternoon. maybe they'll have some more information about it but as of now all signs point towards this being a counterfeit, sadly. I know the Game/anime ost market is something like 90% pirate product but this one shaped up to be too close to the real deal… not quite, but close enough where it was difficult to tell given whatever info was available for the legitimate issue. Pretty harrowing situation in my opinion.

I'm going to take some clear photos of the whole thing and keep them as reference should I ever come face to face to something purporting to be the real deal.

Hello my vinyl brothers!! If you ANY of you missed the FARCRY 4 3x colored lp look no further for an amazing price!! Curtsey to LITA!!!

$39 after shipping to the US

Give my instagram a follow to if you like video game lps/metal/horror soundtracks too!

https://instagram.com/codifer/

http://lightintheattic.net/releases/1648-far-cry-4