why buy 2 copies of the same record?

I've been noticing that a bunch of people on here make the habit of buying two copies of the same record. Now I full understand getting multiple copies of a record on different colour, or cover variations or whatever, but I just don't get why people order two copies of the exact same record.

Not trying to diss anyone or anything. Do you keep a copy sealed and open the other to listen to? Or do you buy two copies of a rare record to trade in the future? Or just flip for profit a few months down the road?

I figured that was the case.

I don't know....I don't want to rag on anyone, and it probably isn't the case here with actual record collectors, but I guess I kinda look at it the same way as scalping tickets. You were able to order multiple copies of a record before everyone who wanted one could get one and then you are going to use this fact for personal profit in the future.

I actually really like when certain labels (Hydrahead for example) only allows one copy of a record per order/per person. Anyone with me on this, or am I just stirring the pot and pissing people off?

In some cases I agree with you. I buy two copies of a lot of stuff, but thats mostly for trade. What I, and Hydrahead, have issue with is dudes who buy like 4 to 13 copies of a release just to flip it. Buying an extra for later trade is just part of the collector world sometimes. Buying 5 is being a dick.

In some cases I agree with you. I buy two copies of a lot of stuff, but thats mostly for trade. What I, and Hydrahead, have issue with is dudes who buy like 4 to 13 copies of a release just to flip it. Buying an extra for later trade is just part of the collector world sometimes. Buying 5 is being a dick.

I agree with that too. Getting an extra copy of something to trade down the line is cool. Buying multiple copies to flip down the line, not so much...

I figured that was the case.

I don't know....I don't want to rag on anyone, and it probably isn't the case here with actual record collectors, but I guess I kinda look at it the same way as scalping tickets. You were able to order multiple copies of a record before everyone who wanted one could get one and then you are going to use this fact for personal profit in the future.

I actually really like when certain labels (Hydrahead for example) only allows one copy of a record per order/per person. Anyone with me on this, or am I just stirring the pot and pissing people off?

You're not pissing anyone off. The majority of people here would be fine with labels only allowing people to order one copy of a limited record. I think we'd all like to see supply and demand even out to some degree. But it's understandable that labels want to make sure it's worth their while to press the vinyl, so I'm sure they don't want to go overboard with the number they press.

That being said, if you can pick up an extra copy for trading purposes down the road, why not? Everyone's on a level playing field. Granted, we're not all online 24/7, but if you want the record bad enough, you'll be paying attention or making arrangements.

Picking up two copies with the intent to sell one? I don't have a huge problem with this, especially when you've got to support your habit. Everyone knows that the first few copies of any limited record to hit eBay will fetch pretty good money. The record can even still be in print. I'm convinced some people only but from eBay and can't be bothered to look elsewhere for the record.

But there are people out there that flip records strictly for profit. It's all they do, despite acting like they're into collecting. They are few and far between, but those are the annoying ones. I wouldn't care so much if they weren't on the boards, but they act like they're part of the community in order to get the info on the hot releases and then they make a fortune on them on a regular basis. Everyone has a right to do it, but at least lurk the boards and don't act like you're one of us. You're not.

Guest kingbuzzo

Not to derail the thread too much, but Corbet do you go to Ramalama Records? Its on Central in Toledo. The owner is a great guy, unless you're a complete idiot. I usually drop way too much cash there on a weekly basis.

Also, I'm not so much in support of people buying more than 2 copies of a record. I sometimes buy 2 if I know someone who is looking for it and might not be able to get it but buying a lot of a record to flip them is kind of a dick thing to do.

i don't even buy multiple colours most of the time. i'm pretty content with owning one because i'd rather spend the money on different records; there's way too much good music out there. there are a few instances i have multiples though but that's due to different pressings and what not. i don't have a problem with people that buy two though, hoarding is another issue that doesn't sit well with me.

I buy records for the love of the music, plain and simple, I do not say this to bag on anyone either, to each his own, but for me buying more then one record to flip it is just another way to take something away from the band who put their heart and soul into making the record. I personally refuse to download. If a band is willing to make this record for my pleasure and sell it to me for a great price where this person is most likely not going to make a ton off of it themself and then I go and make a profit off of them. It just does not sit well with me. I have a buddy who owns a record store and he does a great job of getting limited vinyl and he admits he can get twice as much on ebay by storing it and selling it a few months later, but it not about that. Enough about that.

i've never bought multiple copies for the sake of trading, selling, or flipping. the only multiple copy i have is a 7" my girlfriend also had when we got together. i do have variants of hot water music's caution, but that's because it's one of my favourites, there's only a handful of variants (so far) and i like what they've done with it. i have bought one or two things that i thought might be good trade fodder, but nobody has bitten on them so i don't think i'll be doing that in the future.

i don't even buy multiple colours most of the time. i'm pretty content with owning one because i'd rather spend the money on different records; there's way too much good music out there.
i've never bought multiple copies for the sake of trading, selling, or flipping. the only multiple copy i have is a 7" my girlfriend also had when we got together.

pretty much sums up my thoughts. granted i trade/sell things at times. if i dont like something im 1000x more likely to try to get rid of it for something ill enjoy more. i dont really understand the buying multiple copies of the same record but i think thats because i never saw this as "collecting." i collected baseball cards when i was a little kid but i could give two shits about owning every color of the same record.

I buy a lot more used records than new, so the only time I buy a second copy is if the first one I picked up is in pretty bad shape. I can't imagine buying two copies of a new record, but that's because I hate to speculate about what it might be worth in the future. I'd rather save my money for another record to listen to.

i would like to buy 2 copies but i cant afford it. part time work, part time study, full time dad - dont get much dough. so when it comes down to it, i cant afford to chance a loss, if say for example, isis gets repressed again and again & my 2nd copy is worth less than what i paid. so i cant do that again. but if other people do it and they charge me a reasonable price when i can afford to buy it, then i'm cool with that. its just those feckers that want your left nut for a boris record. that pisses me right off.