[PO] Maybeshewill – Fair Youth – 08/25

You've got 4 and they just want 1.  Kind of shitty.

^^^ This. I've seen collections posted here and elsewhere where someone has upwards of five variants of an album that I desperately want just one copy of. If I became that guy, I'd feel like a dick. Also, monetary and storage concerns inhibit me from becoming completely taking the plunge. I've found myself making similar decisions to you; scooping up the most rare variant, along with the one that best matches the artwork. I'm a complete sucker for a variant that fits perfectly with the artwork, regardless of rarity. 

Which is why I'm also leaning towards the purple. I've been meaning to grab Long Distance Calling's last album, so I'll probably throw that in to feel a little bit better about the shipping cost. And as awful as Chuckles and Mr. Squeezy is, I still feel compelled to complete my dredg collection. Hmm.

Didn't think of it as peer-pressure. More so as a means of making me realize I would be buying it for the wrong reasons. I tried going back to it recently to see if maybe I'd been to harsh in the past; nope. They even managed to make The Ornament sound bland, which is quite a feat considering the fantastic live renditions they'd done. I agree with your point of thinking of it as a different band entirely; dredg the Automator.

Back on track, I'm anxiously awaiting the chance to hear more from this album. I've been listening to In Amber regularly; it's fantastic.

Bump for a new track. I haven't listened yet, and I'm not sure if I will. But I also kind of doubt my willpower to wait, with this band. So we'll see.

Also... anyone else starting to suspect that the aforementioned "label" variant is actually purple and not red? It went up around the time they said the red copies would, and is found in their label's webstore. I wonder if there was just a bit of miscommunication. My wallet would be happy, but I've got to admit that a red, blue, and purple set of variants would be top notch.

Entire album is currently on Spotify. Don't know if this is one of those "oops this shouldn't have gone up yet" instances but I think I'm gonna give it a listen.

EDIT: False alarm. It's just the title track. Spotify has it listed as all 11 tracks but when you click on the album it's just the 1 song.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I sure have. A few times. I'd describe it as lush and gorgeous. It's very cohesive for better or worse; a lot of it gels together quite a bit, but there are some standout tracks in my books. It's loaded with beautiful piano lines that we've only come to expect from Maybeshewill, along with your signature synths, guitar, and brass. Lots of brass this time around. (Some of my favorite builds and more "triumphant"-sounding moments on the album are brought to life with them.) There aren't really any riffs to be found, nor super technical guitar work, but I think it's a very nice addition to the band's discography.

Quick update for you guys.  3 of my 4 copies arrived today.  (That may sound like bad news, but I ended up placing 2 orders, and for whatever reason they decided to ship them separate.)  So my group's copies are in, but I'm just waiting on mine.  All 3 showed up in flawless condition despite your typically thin euro-mailer with no additional packaging.  Gatefold is very sturdy on these.  I think you'll all be happy considering how much they ended up costing.