Dear White People

I watched about 100 white kids loose their SHIT when a professor explained "White Privilege." It was really painful and infuriating to listen to kid after kid just NOT FUCKING UNDERSTAND what he was trying to explain.

At 28, being introduced to white privilege, I was opposition in to the concept. Then I got pulled over one time because I did a rolling stop, talking on my cell phone, without a seat belt on. Nothing, not even a warning. I don't know the reason why I got off, but I have a pretty good idea.

At 28, being introduced to white privilege, I was opposition in to the concept. Then I got pulled over one time because I did a rolling stop, talking on my cell phone, without a seat belt on. Nothing, not even a warning. I don't know the reason why I got off, but I have a pretty good idea.

I had my car run out of gas in the middle of the busiest intersection in town (at 2am, 2pm and I would have died). I was stoned, had weed in my car, and my license was expired because I had just turned 21 and was too lazy to go to the DMV. THREE state troopers stopped and helped me push it to the gas station I was trying to get to. All one of them had to do was ask to see my license and I would have gone to jail. I can safely say if I had been a little darker things would not have ended with me going to my friends house and smoking more weed.

As a white person I could confidently say this Jane Elliot video had changed my perception completely, I used to think racism was just what people said, or how they acted toward a particular group, I didn't realize how institutionalized racism is in America. I don't believe every white person is racist, I do believe there is an advantage to being a white male in the USA, so many social experiments uphold those myths, like Jose changing his name to Joe or something.

I don't think there is very much racism left in the large companies. Joe Blow Redneck's auto shop might choose not to hire colored employees (which is a problem), but all the large companies actively promote workplace diversity and often promote it by giving extra points in the selection process to woman and minorities. I know the federal government does in it's hiring practices, and that's 2+ million people.

I hate the idea of fighting fire with fire (disadvantaging individual white males to make up for societal problems and inequalities that they did not create or participate in) but it seems to be working. We are have so much less racism in our lives than our grandparents did, and their grandparents might have owned slaves. It takes generations to change a demographic's cultural beliefs (even if those beliefs are shit).

I have faith in the human race that we will get there eventually.

Was that the show downtown?

Glad to see this thread hasn't turned into a total shit storm. yet..

Yeah, at the small Theatre 99, where a lot of great Cmedians come.

And I would like to say I hope I didn't offend anybody by any of my statements, especially when I said "black people.. " I just don't know if that comes across as harsh on the internet or if I should say African American or Black American etc. I like to say "white" when describing myself and others.

I'm curiosity as to how people feel about the early 90's "West coast gangster" movies like Menace II Society, Boyz N The Hood, and Blood In Blood Out. Seems like there hasn't been anything like those since and although they're very much exaggerated and made for entertainment sake they're still pretty important films in my opinion.

I'm curiosity as to how people feel about the early 90's "West coast gangster" movies like Menace II Society, Boyz N The Hood, and Blood In Blood Out. Seems like there hasn't been anything like those since and although they're very much exaggerated and made for entertainment sake they're still pretty important films in my opinion.

A little research on the state of LA in the 80's and 90's will tell you that those films were not "very much exaggerated". In fact, it was much worse.

A little research on the state of LA in the 80's and 90's will tell you that those films were not "very much exaggerated". In fact, it was much worse.

I live in the Inland Empire, I think I have a pretty idea of how things were and still are.

Whatever, that's beside what I asking in general anyways.

They're great period pieces in my opinion. Menace II Society, being my personal favorite.

It seemed to tackle both sides of the issue very well, while staying true to a single perspective, but it did create this stereotype for mainstream media to blow up

They're great period pieces in my opinion. Menace II Society, being my personal favorite.

It seemed to tackle both sides of the issue very well, while staying true to a single perspective, but it did create this stereotype for mainstream media to blow up

Those movies didn't "create" that stereotype. It existed well before them. In fact, this^^

Those movies didn't "create" that stereotype. It existed well before them. In fact, this^^

The race riots happened in 92. I don't know what I said "created" that was a bad choice of words. I meant, it gave white suburbia another reason to fear black people, they could say some kid was influenced by menace and were trying to be emulate the characters. While the film bought nothing new to the table, that film was some peoples first exposure to the life as a black person and issues of race, and those characters aren't meant to be painted in a good light. If that makes sense.

I don't think it's coincidence that those movies stopped being made when 16 year olds started partying to gangster rap.

Money changes everything. Who would have saw ice cube making Disney movies in 1992?

It had nothing to do with "16 year olds partying to gangster rap". The stories portrayed in Menace and Boyz were so spot on that no one dared replicating those types of films. They were essentially the end-all, be-all. Shortly after their release came the Bloods and Crips summit which quelled some of the violence in LA and rap music gave way to the whole "East vs West" thing. Running alongside that was the rising popularity of conscience hip hop and gangster rap became an afterthought.

No one should be surprised that Ice Boob is now doing Disney flicks. He was never true to what he rapped about and was nothing more than a character throughout his career. Common put him on blast with that "Bitch in Yoo" track.

I'm a firm believer that ice cube, like a lot of my coworkers and neighbors of color, put his family above all else and once he realized he could live like a king if he does these certain movies even if it meant losing his street cred he did it. Not giving a fuck what other people think is still pretty gangster. He made a smart choice and doesn't give a damn what anyone thinks about it.

Back to the 90's movies, I was under the impression Baby Boy was a spiritual successor to Boyz N The Hood, I haven't seen that one yet. These movies still hold up very well, the comedies do too ("Bye Felicia" became a catchphrase again this year because younger generations are finding Friday for the first time, it's easily a top 3 all time favorite comedy of mine). I really miss those days of cinema.

It had nothing to do with "16 year olds partying to gangster rap". The stories portrayed in Menace and Boyz were so spot on that no one dared replicating those types of films. They were essentially the end-all, be-all. Shortly after their release came the Bloods and Crips summit which quelled some of the violence in LA and rap music gave way to the whole "East vs West" thing. Running alongside that was the rising popularity of conscience hip hop and gangster rap became an afterthought.

No one should be surprised that Ice Boob is now doing Disney flicks. He was never true to what he rapped about and was nothing more than a character throughout his career. Common put him on blast with that "Bitch in Yoo" track.

You can think I'm wrong but if you think that the reason no one has tried making similar films is that no one wanted to risk falling short of the originals, that's crazy. When has Hollywood ever turned down an opportunity to make money? They churn out awful remakes of classics year after year.

If willing to include movies outside the LA area, 8 mile is kind of in the same vein.

Growing up in that element in the East Coast, those movies aren't exaggerated. Actually the movie Paid in Full was close to everyday life for me (besides the fact that was true story)

people just love to play the race card when they don't get what they want. there are shitty white people and shitty black people.

/thread

^This.

There is no shitty race, just shitty people.

I'm also slightly disappointed in the immediate backlash at the start of this thread -- especially without watching the media in the OP.