Dear White People

I've seen this movie before. It was called:

Do the right thing

Oh heaven forbid there be another film about racial identity, and breaking stereotypes, instead of the 20+ in the vein of Tyler Perry movies made for black people. 

Do the Right Thing came out 20 years ago, it was made for a different, time, era, and generation of black youth. Just because there is another movie about uplifting black people in a comedic manor, doesn't automatically make it Do The Right Thing.

Because by that logic, all horror movies about possession are the Exorcist.

Oh heaven forbid there be another film about racial identity, and breaking stereotypes, instead of the 20+ in the vein of Tyler Perry movies made for black people.

Do the Right Thing came out 20 years ago, it was made for a different, time, era, and generation of black youth. Just because there is another movie about uplifting black people in a comedic manor, doesn't automatically make it Do The Right Thing.

Because by that logic, all horror movies about possession are the Exorcist.

Wait. This is a comedy?

Edit: i must have misread that. I thought it was serious. I retract my do the right thing comment.

As a white dude who has spent the last 7-8 years being mostly interested in black women, and dating a black woman exclusively for four years and having a baby with her, I still am not the most conscious with regard to race. I think this film is aiming to talk about sensitive issues with humor and sarcasm to help every race wake the fuck up and realize we're all human beings and should all have certain inalienable rights. 

I'm not meaning any disrespect. Just wanting to make that clear. Really didn't think it was a satire.

I keep up with the news but an not familiar with the Shane Dawson incident or who that even is.

Shane Dawson is a YouTuber, who has made videos for almost 10 years. Shane has used racism as a comedic device for the years, but has only recently been called out for it. The black woman, (chescaleigh) was almost immediately attacked by his 10 million subscribers, who then called her video "Shit White Girls say to Black Girls" racist, a video that has been studied in college class rooms.

What Shane has been doing is normalizing things like black face, and other harmful racial stereotypes to a demographic of people ages 11-20ish for years. At first Shane denied it, and tried to rebuttal the claims but has since apologized.

I don't even know who this YouTuber is but I want to just say there are plenty of examples of black comedians making racist jokes and being popular, albeit they aren't extremely disgusting jokes but there are plenty of times I've had to roll my eyes and just move on. I think that is why I like Hannibal Burress so much, because he doesn't rely on the race joke crutch.

I don't even know who this YouTuber is but I want to just say there are plenty of examples of black comedians making racist jokes and being popular, albeit they aren't extremely disgusting jokes but there are plenty of times I've had to roll my eyes and just move on. I think that is why I like Hannibal Burress so much, because he doesn't rely on the race joke crutch.

Hannibal Burress is one of the most brilliant comedians out there right now. That dude is probably the funniest person I've seen in years.

As a white person I hate being judged just by skin color that I'm probably a racist. I live in Philadelphia, and let me say something racism is very present, in every direction possible.

Hmm... You're admittedly white and you hate being judged just by your skin color... Interesting...

"Let's talk about this movie and black culture and shit:"

What does your prompt suggest? Sorry sort of confused as to your goal here, it comes off a bit pompous if you ask me, I don't see how anyone can interpret this as a mature and thoughtful discussion with a prompt like that.

No one should be judged by anything they can't control, skin, gender, looks, anything. I'm just tired of people assuming I judge people just because of my skin color or gender.

Let me get this straight. You feel like people think you're judging them because of your skin color because you are white? Isn't that a little too judgmental? _btw im not arguing against you just trying to understand where you're coming from_

As a white person I could confidently say this Jane Elliot video had changed my perception completely, I used to think racism was just what people said, or how they acted toward a particular group, I didn't realize how institutionalized racism is in America. I don't believe every white person is racist, I do believe there is an advantage to being a white male in the USA, so many social experiments uphold those myths, like Jose changing his name to Joe or something.

The problem is more the demographic that he panders to also, he's pretty much advertising casual racism to tweens. Which plants seeds in their head and leaves them thinking these things are okay, to do and say. I understand making a "racist", joke in comedy, while I understand it's a way to tell jokes and get a laugh, and at times it can be funny. This man had full on blackfaced characters named like shinquina, which are harmful stereotype to portray for 8 years. There's a difference in saying "white people colonized the world for spices and still have the audacity to under season their food" and using something that was created to dehumanize black people.

"Let's talk about this movie and black culture and shit:"

What does your prompt suggest? Sorry sort of confused as to your goal here, it comes off a bit pompous if you ask me, I don't see how anyone can interpret this as a mature and thoughtful discussion with a prompt like that.

Sorry I didn't write a proper thesis, this is a casual and intelligent conversation, not a DBQ

As a white person I could confidently say this Jane Elliot video had changed my perception completely, I used to think racism was just what people said, or how they acted toward a particular group, I didn't realize how institutionalized racism is in America. I don't believe every white person is racist, I do believe there is an advantage to being a white male in the USA, so many social experiments uphold those myths, like Jose changing his name to Joe or something.

I absolutely agree with you. Normalized racism is so real to the point that most people are oblivious to the fact that it even exists. "normalized"