So no talk about the new VPI table...

ajxd

Both are awesome. I've just been reading up on them myself. It's nice to see VPI step into other audio components. I have a friend at the New York Audio Show so I'll probably ask his first person impressions when he gets back.

I agree though... for the price VPI's Scout and Scout Jr. are quite hard to beat. Regardless, I'm holding out for the 20th Anniversary Edition of the HW-19 that has been talked about a few times. Since the HW-19 is my current and probably favorite vintage table, it'll be really fun to have both.

The integrated is apparently made in partnership with Cayin.  It's nice to see a tube integrated with a good phono stage, those aren't that common.  If I hadn't just bought a scout, I would totally be saving up for that Prime table.  That's a really good price for a 3D printed tonearm.

The Prime is a sexy beast, but I have to admit, I've never felt the urge to upgrade from my Scout.

The integrated looks kind of cool.  I wish it wasn't being made by Cayin, but whatever.  I'll be interested to read some reviews, but again, I'm pretty happy with the Audio Research VSi-55 I have.

Much.  I've read something that said the chassis will be made in China, but the unit will be assembled in NJ.  There was no reference to Cayin.  With a price of $4k, it looks nice and I'll be interested to hear it.  The only other downside is it's voiced for a 60's sound, which is probably a bit smoother than I'd care for.

I am really intrigued by the Scout Jr. Really want to get a VPI turntable next year, and the Scout was just too rich for my blood (with virtually no used ones around here in Europe) and was never completely sold on the Traveler. So Scout Jr sounds perfect!

I definitely agree about the Traveler. It was alright but really never seemed to belong in the VPI lineup to me. The Scout Jr. is definitely a considerably better table and value in my opinion and probably the only table I'd upgrade to because of my feelings of it's value to it's cost.

My good friend just got back from the New York Audio Show and auditioned both the table and amp. I just haven't come across him lately to ask him what his thoughts were. I know he's quite critical of quality and sound so I'm extremely interested to hear what he has to say. I will definitely post his first-person feedback with the rest of you once he brings me up to speed on his impressions.

• 4 weeks later...

The Scout Jr. is now up for sale/preorder on musicdirect.com

http://www.musicdirect.com/p-254907-vpi-scout-jr-turntable.aspx

I really like the price-point, but I am not sure about the choice of the Orotofon 2M Red as a supplied cartridge. I mean, if you are paying over $1500 for a turntable (even more with cables, etc), do you really want to have a $100 cartridge on it? You can call and upgrade, though. As for now this is US only.

avpittsctjr_3_.jpg

but I am not sure about the choice of the Orotofon 2M Red as a supplied cartridge. I mean, if you are paying over $1500 for a turntable (even more with cables, etc), do you really want to have a $100 cartridge on it? 

Especially when you can get a rebranded Clearaudio (same as their model Emotion, but with an upgraded motor, platter and bearing) for the exact same price and comes fitted with an $800 Clearaudio Virtuoso MM cart: http://www.musicdirect.com/p-7273-marantz-tt-15-acrylic-turntable.aspx

marantz_tt15s1_front_01.jpg

I had a TT15s1 and a Scout together at my house for a week. I used the same cartridge on both and went back and forth. Even had some friends over for their opinions. The Marantz/Clearaudio TT15s1 was significantly better than the Scout in both high and low end extension and was much more exciting to listen to. Better built quality as well. I kept the TT15, it's a great table.

I want the Scout Jr. so bad. I'm waiting though because there's been a solid rumor that's been substantiated by VPI that they're making and releasing a limited edition 20th anniversary model of their old HW-19 table. I have my eyes set on that for sure if it happens. Rumor is it's coming in the next year. I want to see what that is like before I upgrade from my original HW-19. I just can't get over that $1,200-1,400 price-point for the Scout Jr. Unbelievable quality for the price.

• 6 months later...

I couldn't decide which topic to post this in, but figured since there was an ongoing thread about the Prime awhile back, I'd just resurrect this one.

I've put about 10 hours into the Prime now.  As previously stated, I have the acrylic platter with mine rather than the classic platter and it's equipped with a 2m Black.  

My prior table was a Rega RP1.  So this was quite the step up, but I have been planning to make a large jump for awhile.  Just wasn't sure which table I was going to go with, but couldn't pass up the Prime.

That said, here are some initial impressions.  Feel free to ask any questions, or whatever if anyone has any.

I've tried to listen to a variety of styles of music to put this table through the paces.  I've gone from jazz to classical to punk to metal.  

First off, the thing is smooth. It's built like a tank.  I had to put hockey pucks under my Rega to make sure that it didn't pick up rumble and vibrations from the bass when albums were playing.  Those days are long gone.  I will likely get a wooden block to place under the table down the road as recommended by VPI, but at this point, I have not had any issues.  

The music reproduction is unreal.  Nothing can hide from it.  If an album was not recorded, mixed, and mastered very well then this table is going to expose it.  Obviously, that can be good and bad.  A few albums that I love have fell flat while played on the table b/c of that very reason.  Other albums have made me sit back and smile and want to spin them over and over again.

The sound stage is spot on and deep.  I imagine this will get even better when I add some room treatments, but as stands I cannot complain.  Listening to drum fills that go from snare to floor tom is so much fun, or picking up a trumpet that is at the back of the stage and picturing where the notes are emanating from is spectacular.

For the price, I don't think you can find a better table.  I would bet that a better cart would do wonders for this table.  Specifically, something in the cadenza line of carts.  My hope is to eventually upgrade to a cadenza bronze but that will be some time as the wife has imposed a strict no spending ban on me. 

Needless to say Im very happy with my purchase. 

I was set on getting a VPI. I had previously checked out an upgraded scoutmaster and a classic 1.

I purchased the table for $2500. It retails at $3800. But was given a $1300 discount bc it had the acrylic platter and not the classic platter.

I talked to SSD and they basically said there would not be a noticeable difference in the platters so I went for it. They also said they would sell me a classic platter down the line at a discounted price if I wanted.

I likely will not look at that for a long time and instead will put money into a roadrunner tachometer and eagle digital power supply.

Of course it does. I have a Classic, so I'm a big fan of what the table brought to the equation. In fact, we come from very similar upgrade paths. I went from a Debut III to the Classic. But unlike you, I moved my Denon DL-160 from the Debut to the Classic for a while before I went all out with a Dynavector XX-2.

Obviously I prefer a rich, Japanese MC sound, to the Ortofon, but I also found the 2m black to be too polarizing, as you described.

Like you, I also don't think I'd say I'll NEVER upgrade again, but I'll be good for a long while. Really glad you are enjoying it!

All this talk of sweet tables has me salivating....I'm a ways away from tables like this, but I'd like to think I'll get here someday!

For those who are thinking about VPI tables, there's a store in Montreal with some sweet deals on floor demo models. With the conversion rates as they are, these are a steal in USD. You could probably even afford the trip to go pick up in person...

http://www.canuckaudiomart.com/userads.php?user_id=39139